Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Curtis Granderson and the MVP award

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
On pace for 149 Runs, 45 Home Runs, 132 RBI and 31 SBs.

I understand he doesn't have an insane average, but this isn't Carlos Pena here. A .275 average is very respectable.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
DeliciousBacon said:
Because he doesn't deserve it.

A player can't be the MVP when they're one of the worst defensive players out there. He has -13 Defensive Runs Saved, which means he's more valuable to the team batting against the Yankees.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... s-mvp-case

I disagree,he is the main reason why the Yankees are doing well this year.I would say Gonzalez is the leader,but Granderson is 2nd in my opinion.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
DeliciousBacon said:
Because he doesn't deserve it.

A player can't be the MVP when they're one of the worst defensive players out there. He has -13 Defensive Runs Saved, which means he's more valuable to the team batting against the Yankees.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... s-mvp-case

The same defensive stats that say Mark Teixeira doesn't save any runs.

Yeah. I put a lot of faith in defensive stats.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Clearly defensive issues seldom come in to play when discussing MVP, expecially when posting production numbers like Granderson is, so it's somewhat fruitless to even mention save for the anti-Yankee fanboi's to pluck at straws. He is hands down the front runner for the MVP in most books I would not hesitate to assume, but... BUT! There is a lot of playing time left and we are approaching the time of year where it speaks loudest. Can he continue to produce like this throughout? Time will tell. Will someone else begin to make a run for MVP? Most likely. I usually never even contemplate with any real reasoning who is going to win the MVP until atleast the begining of September, and I see no reason to start now. But it's fun, no?

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
thefasterblade said:
On pace for 149 Runs, 45 Home Runs, 132 RBI and 31 SBs.

I understand he doesn't have an insane average, but this isn't Carlos Pena here. A .275 average is very respectable.

The AL MVP has only gone to a player who hit under .300 (14) times if my count was correct since 1911.

Additionally, only 4 players have had an avg under .283 and won the AL award. Two of the four were HOF's (Killabrew and Berra) and another was Maris and his 61 HR's.

I didn't bother looking at the NL MVP award winners, but the evidence seems pretty clear to me that unless his other stats are ridiculously overwhelming, his batting average is going to have to come up very significantly if he stands a chance to win.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
While I don't care one way or the other, if any modern voter is really even paying attention to Batting Average when making his MVP choices he should have his voting privileges revoked. And besides, all the voters really care about in most seasons is an even more worthless statistic, RBIzzzzzz.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
trauty said:
While I don't care one way or the other, if any modern voter is really even paying attention to Batting Average when making his MVP choices he should have his voting privileges revoked. And besides, all the voters really care about in most seasons is an even more worthless statistic, RBIzzzzzz.

So batting average shouldn't be taken into account for the MVP award? Not sure I get your point, assuming you had one?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
trauty said:

Why? Batting Average is a very telling stat of how good of a hitter a player is. Probably one of the 3 most important offensive statistics.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
trauty said:

Why? Batting Average is a very telling stat of how good of a hitter a player is. Probably one of the 3 most important offensive statistics.

and when you hit in a tiny park, its much more honest than HR.

personally, I think Gonzo has done the best so far.
with TONS of time to go he is .350-18-92

(Ichiro was the last MVP with a huge avg. the year he won was .350-8-69.)

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Hands down ADRIAN
thats why I am holding a high price on the Adrian
autos I have :cool: Granderson should still make NY money
might still overprice Adrian even with MVP

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
trauty said:

and when you hit in a tiny park, its much more honest than HR.

personally, I think Gonzo has done the best so far.
with TONS of time to go he is .350-18-92

(Ichiro was the last MVP with a huge avg. the year he won was .350-8-69.)

Thank you!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Verlander is my MVP right now...but if the "man in the white shirt" can get his seat back @ Rogers Stadium :lol:, Jose Bautista might sneak up and take the award back

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
I try to look at the MVP for what the award is supposed to represent. The player who is most valuable to their team. I have a really hard time picking an MVP from the Yankees or Red Sox because if you pull Granderson or A-Gon off those teams they will still be very good if not great.

Thats why I would have to go with Bautista right now. Not trying to take away anything from A-Gon or Granderson they have both been very good, but I don't think their teams performance would drop off much without them.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
markakis8 said:
Verlander is my MVP right now...but if the "man in the white shirt" can get his seat back @ Rogers Stadium :lol:, Jose Bautista might sneak up and take the award back

Honestly I'm a Tigers fan and had never thought of Verlander as the MVP because I usually don't believe in pitchers winning MVP awards, but it really makes sense this year.

He's pretty clearly the best pitcher in the AL this year, and probably in all of baseball, and without them the Tigers would probably be in third or fourth place in the AL Central. Every time he starts, I think to myself: "well looks like we'll be winning today". I think that speaks volumes of how good he has been.

On top of that, there aren't many hitters who are really having standout seasons. Bautista was incredible for a long time but has come back to earth lately. Granderson has good numbers but he plays in a small ballpark on one of the best offenses in baseball, and has a .275 batting average. Miguel Cabrera is having a "down year" compared to his usual standards. The only guy who really stands out as a hitter is Adrian Gonzalez.

I think I'd probably take Gonzalez at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if Verlander was right up there amongst the top vote getters.

Members online

Latest posts