Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stories of big hits from area where player is prominent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Does anyone have any cool stories where a premium pull was hit in the city where the hometown hero is playing?

Like a 1/1 or partial logo of something like Castro or Sandberg coming out of a pack from a shop in Chicago. Stories like that.

How often does it happen if ever?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
lisu said:
I pulled the Brandon Belt super. Does that count? He isn't prominent yet.

Absolutely!
Did you buy a box/case/pack?

You must have been stoked! :)

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
I've never got a mega hit of any Tigers but I have got some really nice Tigers that I have kept. It always make my day when I get a good Tigers hit.

08PorcelloBowmanChromeDraftBlueRefr.jpg 06CobbUDEpicBat.jpg 07Verlander-Weaver-WangTripleThread.jpg 10KalineCobbKellToppsTripleThreadsBat-Jersey.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I pulled a 2002 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Black patch 1/1 of Sammy Sosa at a Chicago card show back when the product was released (and Sosa was not yet disgraced). Was only too happy to sell it there to a dealer for $500 cash and about $300 in cards.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
ChasHawk said:
jeff550 said:
The guy that pulled the Strasburg super was in Northern VA
pretty sure that was the guy who bought it from the guy who pulled it
nope, the guy that got it was in Michigan, he got it graded and then sold it to someone else. The guy that pulled it is in the same town im in, or at least was

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I haven't really... Usually just colored refractors.

We seem to have a really high hometown premium on Twins and Vikings. It sucks collecting a player that is a Twin because a $5 card or less on ebay can be 3x it's value at a show, while other stuff is at/below eBay.

Hit anything of Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Hunter, Santana, Nathan, Span, Thome, Puckett, or Killebrew and you are set for life.

I am waiting for some card news on Jordan Smith (Mahoning Valley) because, and I have said before, he was born only an hour away and people in his hometown are nuts over his playing career (that's just amateur, now that he is owning NY-Penn, it's going to get more insane). The town has a card shop and I could probably make a mass amount from buying his team sets and selling the cards to the store. I might sell one or 2 off just to see what I could make. His only other card (which they probably have) may have a price tag of $100 or more. That's how crazy those guys are.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
TBTwinsFan said:
Hit anything of Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Hunter, Santana, Nathan, Span, Thome, Puckett, or Killebrew and you are set for life.

I disagree. Nicer Mauer and Puckett sell well around here. Killebrew's good stuff sells nicely, but his lesser signatures don't make a blip on the radar here. Card shops up here can barely give away stuff that isn't those three guys or Sano or Gibson. Thome has very little quality stuff depicting him as a Twin, and all of his Sox/Phillies/Indians releases are tepid, even as he approaches 600 HRs. I think White Sox cards sell better than Justin Morneau in Minnesota right now.

Actually, you are right on Cuddyer, too. Aside from FCB's premier Cuddy collector, MC, his cards sell pretty well among Twins collectors.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Slette said:
TBTwinsFan said:

I disagree. Nicer Mauer and Puckett sell well around here. Killebrew's good stuff sells nicely, but his lesser signatures don't make a blip on the radar here. Card shops up here can barely give away stuff that isn't those three guys or Sano or Gibson. Thome has very little quality stuff depicting him as a Twin, and all of his Sox/Phillies/Indians releases are tepid, even as he approaches 600 HRs. I think White Sox cards sell better than Justin Morneau in Minnesota right now.

Actually, you are right on Cuddyer, too. Aside from FCB's premier Cuddy collector, MC, his cards sell pretty well among Twins collectors.

You are probably right. I only visit 2-3 shops (none are in the cities) so I only see how those operate so I guess I have a strong bias. Yes, they are that messed up.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I pulled a 2006 Leaf Limited Cuts Vince Young auto 10/30 from a shop in Austin.

I pulled a 2008 BC Red Refractor Kelly Johnson 2/5 in Austin. He went to high school here and is one of my good friends

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Pulled this in a shop about 45 minutes outside of ATL; no matter where I went around the city, I was the kid who pulled the dual auto. Definitely my biggest hit ever; it won't leave my collection.

1998EliteBTTF1Ryan.jpg1998EliteBTTF2Maddux.jpg

Members online

Latest posts