Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why doesn't baseball have loans like pro soccer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Why doesn't anybody give a crap about pro soccer like baseball?

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
GoldenBuckeyes said:

I'm pretty sure there are just a few more soccer than baseball fans in the world.

Being able to relegate teams to lower divisions would be great too.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
In soccer, there are so many leagues in different countries of similar quality, so the market for players is huge. If a player is underperforming in the EPL, for instance, it might be that his style of play is better suited for somewhere else, like La Liga in Spain. So it's easy for clubs to negotiate loans of players between leagues that little affect their team. In baseball, however, MLB stands alone as the place to be. So you're not going to have the Rays loaning players to the Yankees. They're competing, and it's just too small for loans to make a lot of sense.

And there are probably 2 bn more people in the world who care about soccer than who care about baseball. Love it or don't, maybe cricket even has more worldwide fans than baseball does.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
zach said:
manningmurphyfan said:
GoldenBuckeyes said:

I'm pretty sure there are just a few more soccer than baseball fans in the world.

In the world...Yes.

in the US....Nope

I bet the answer to that would be a lot closer than many people think.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Because people cry over a fan voted event called the All Star Game. Can you imagine the tears if they hear again no one cares about their guy?

And oh yeah soccer stinks.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
What good would it do? I don't have anything against the idea, but to what ends?

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
hive17 said:
What good would it do? I don't have anything against the idea, but to what ends?

Like what if the Cardinals were out of it and the White Sox payed them 15 million or something to borrow Pujols for the last 50 games of the season and the playoffs.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
PaulKonerkbro said:
hive17 said:

Like what if the Cardinals were out of it and the White Sox payed them 15 million or something to borrow Pujols for the last 50 games of the season and the playoffs.

What does pro soccer do about the insurance?

And no, I hate the idea. I wasn't sure that's where you were going, but now that you've suggested it, I hate it. No offense to you, but a system like that would be about as far down the dark path of terrible player loyalty as you could get before you just abolish teams altogether and let rich cities try and buy championships. <insert Yankee/Red Sox hate here>

Eamon

Jun 16, 2010
GoldenBuckeyes said:

Tonight I went to the Philadelphia Union (MLS) game... it was sold out... 18,811 - Probably a bigger crowd than every single 76ers Home game this past season... more than the Marlins too... along with many NHL and NBA teams.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Lifelongfan said:
I think it has been done in baseball to a certain degree.

The Dodgers seem to like to loan minor leaguers to the Mexican League. Francisco Felix was loaned this season for a little while before the Dodgers asked for him back and sent him to Albuquerque and I know a player or two has been loaned each of the last one or two seasons.

I don't know what's behind the Dodgers doing it, but I speculate it could be that it's better for them to play Mexican League ball than waste away in extended spring waiting for a minor league roster slot to open up, or the Dodgers might get a boost in prestige with fans in the Mexican League cities if they send one of their players temporarily to the Mexican League as an "ambassador'.

G

rsmath said:
Lifelongfan said:

The Dodgers seem to like to loan minor leaguers to the Mexican League. Francisco Felix was loaned this season for a little while before the Dodgers asked for him back and sent him to Albuquerque and I know a player or two has been loaned each of the last one or two seasons.

I don't know what's behind the Dodgers doing it, but I speculate it could be that it's better for them to play Mexican League ball than waste away in extended spring waiting for a minor league roster slot to open up, or the Dodgers might get a boost in prestige with fans in the Mexican League cities if they send one of their players temporarily to the Mexican League as an "ambassador'.
Probably just to help with the minor bankruptcy issue

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
GoldenBuckeyes said:
rsmath said:
Lifelongfan said:

Probably just to help with the minor bankruptcy issue
Because the money from Mexican league teams would put any sort of dent in that debt. Don't you ever get sick of trolling? Because I'd venture to guess everyone else here is sick o it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts