Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

trying to decide on a scanner, couple of ?s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I am looking at either a canon 5600f or the HP g3110 and was wondering which one is faster. I have alot of stuff to scan (not just cards) and want something that will possibly do it automatically with one button or something like that. Anybody got any opinions on which is fastest and easy to use? I do not want to sacrifice quality of scans though so if one is way better than the other let me know. thanks

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I have a G3110 and don't use the click-buttons on the lid to scan. However, the speed of the actual scan itself depends solely upon the dpi resolution by which you decide to scan the cards. A 600dpi scan takes way longer than a 150, et cetera.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Don't know about the canon, but I bought the HP G3110 at the recommendation of a few guys on here. Here's a Beckett slab scan from it:

ZimmermanBlueAuto.jpg

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I know it will take longer if the DPI is higher, Im not worried about that. I just dont want to spend 10 minutes setting the scan up and previewing it and stuff. I want to put something on the scanner, hit one button and it goes to the folder I set up for it. Not sure that makes sense but that is what I was getting at. My cards and stuff will be scanned at high resolution while other stuff not so high.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
I have configured mine to create a new folder on my desktop, but I'm sure you can set it up to direct to a static folder. It is very simple to use.

My scans are in 600 DPI, edited in IrfanView.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Honestly don't know what my settings are. It's whatever was stock out of the box. Plugged it in and started scanning. Haven't messed with any settings since I bought it.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
those are very nice scans though. Ive got a ton of graded and alot in one touches and toploads to scan and I love refractors so it would have to scan those well with no rainbow effects going on.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
383astro said:
those are very nice scans though. Ive got a ton of graded and alot in one touches and toploads to scan and I love refractors so it would have to scan those well with no rainbow effects going on.

The scanner doesn't have give out that effect; refractors scan clean, and vibrant. Feel free to go through my bucket, and see how the scanner does with different types of cards - as every single card in there is scanned with the G3.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I also have the g3110, and get great scans at 300dpi.

However, most of the time with ANY scanner, you're still going to have to crop and adjust brightness or exposure to get your cards to look their best.

Its usually not just hit a button and go

Members online

Latest posts