Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Everyone come in, Opinions needed by all, PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
Here is the story.

My friend was offered the cards in the below lot.
he is buying the 52 mantle 6.5 1st for 9000.00. The seller who he did
not find on Ebay, is going to mail him this mantle 1st, let my friend pay for it,
sell it, and use the money from the sale to buy the next card and so on.
Guy claims to have no car. Claims he inherited them. Says he needs money to
get back to California. These are the facts i know.

Is this the greatest deal anyone ever found or an attempt at a scam?
and if it is a scam, what is the hook? Would love all opinions.

ee.jpg

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
Personally, I'd steer clear. Considering a PSA 6 Mantle recently sold for $16,500 a 6.5 has to be worth what....$20+? As someone said before, if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

StrasburgMania

Jan 7, 2011
stay away! if he has the card he is smart enough to know even if he needs cash he could easily get more than 9K for it.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Have you tried seeing if the cards are on craigslist? Not sure how to easily do that, but I know every so often, there’s a guy who posts cards like these who has/had a similar story. I think Net54 had a post about this ages ago, but I forget what the “scam” was (I think some people may have paid him first?). Even if you have no credit/are banned from eBay, anyone w/a mantle likely knows it’s worth a decent chunk of change/could find a way to sell it on ebay/through an auction house/etc. Why take a $10k+ hit on a card?

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Like someone mentioned before, there was a scam on Craigslist involving high end PSA cards. They would print out labels and insert them into holders that look just like PSA holders.

gr5

Apr 30, 2011
boomo said:
Here is the story.

My friend was offered the cards in the below lot.
he is buying the 52 mantle 6.5 1st for 9000.00. The seller who he did
not find on Ebay, is going to mail him this mantle 1st, let my friend pay for it,
sell it, and use the money from the sale to buy the next card and so on.
Guy claims to have no car. Claims he inherited them. Says he needs money to
get back to California. These are the facts i know.

Is this the greatest deal anyone ever found or an attempt at a scam?
and if it is a scam, what is the hook? Would love all opinions.

ee.jpg

Am I reading this correct or is everyone just missing this point, it's clearly worth a shot if your buddy gets the card first, then gets to pay. How would he get scammed in this situation? So the guy gives him a card that's not legit, your friend simply gives it back. I don't see how he can loose...

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
If you're wondering what the seller gets out of this scam...your friend sells the fake cards, and takes all the risk (albeit unknowingly) of fraud, chargebacks, etc...
The seller gets thousands of dollars and does nothing but ships fake cards to a sucker.

Members online