Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Autos in a 9-pocket sheet, penny sleeve or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I was curious about something when I was looking at putting my skinnier autograph
cards into 9 pocket sleeves for easier display/browsing.

I use Ultra Pro 9-pocket pages (with the hologram inserted in the margin where the holes are punched). I know they should be PVC free and safe for archiving. My initial thought is to put the cards right in the pages (as long as they aren't too thick to fit) but I wonder about if the ink from the autos will leech into the page surface and was thinking about if penny sleeves might prevent that if I'm able to put the card in a penny sleeve and slide it into one of the nine pockets on a page.

I suppose you could also reason that if the ink is going to leech or stick to the pocket page, it would do the same to the penny sleeve, and I suppose the way you store it also would affect the likelihood of the signature coming off (i.e. if you store the binder flat on its back or set it upright like a book so you don't have the weight of all the cards/pages pushing the inner surface of a page onto the card surface).

What have you guys found when putting auto cards in 9 pocket pages as far as ink from the autograph rubbing off or how safe it is for storage to put the card directly into the page?

Thanks for your input as I try to figure out what's best for storage/browsing.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I feel that if the albums are not jam-packed and are stored upright, that the autos should be safe. If you put them in penny sleeves, it would seem to me to make it fit tighter in the pocket, making it more likely that the auto may become damaged.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I've been storing IP autographed cards in 9-pocket sheets (without penny sleeves) and binders for over 20 years and have never had a single one bleed.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
displaying in 9 pocket sleeves would be nice, but if there's any question about the safety of the cards I'd just go with the penny sleeve and top loader. It's not as sexy to look through, but you know your stuff is safe. I recently switched some of my stuff out of magnetic one-touches back to penny sleeves and top loaders after some posts here because I want to make sure I keep my stuff as nice as possible. It probably doesn't matter and you'd be fine either way though.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
WoundedDuck said:
I recently switched some of my stuff out of magnetic one-touches back to penny sleeves and top loaders after some posts here

yep, that screwdown/one touch holder/auto recent thread was in my mind when I was thinking if putting autos/relics in 9-pocket pages would be fine or might have a problem similar to autos in certain sized screwdown/one touchs.

It seems the confidence is towards just putting the cards in the sheets so that is what I will do. I tested up to Razor Signature thick cards in 9-pocket pages and that worked fine, so I will put my cards up to that thickness in 9-pocket pages and keep my thicker cards in toploaders.

Thanks for all the feedback.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
Could you put them in toploads then into like 4,6 or 8 pocket pages? Just a thought. When I was younger I taped top loads to a piece of lexan and drilled holes to put in a binder. Not the most beautiful, but it worked.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
JackLondon said:
I feel that if the albums are not jam-packed and are stored upright, that the autos should be safe. If you put them in penny sleeves, it would seem to me to make it fit tighter in the pocket, making it more likely that the auto may become damaged.

Did you mean to say store laying flat? I thought if you stored them standing up they might bow?

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts