Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Leaf Sketch Edition National - Kevin John

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
Hey Everyone,

During the National, artist Kevin John stopped by in the chat room to discuss his art and his deal with Leaf and Brian Gray. He seemed like a real cool guy and very talented by looking at his website and him showing some sample work.

So fast forward to today, I was at a local show and nothing was really catching my eye that I wanted to open as far as wax goes. Well, a man had about 15 "packs" (a 1/1 sketch inside a magnetic in a bubble mailer) that had a sticker on it that said 2011 Leaf Sketch Edition Kevin John. I don't deal with non-sports cards a whole lot (this is actually my first one) but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to rip open one of these "packs" for $25. I figured it is going to be a very cool sketch and it's a 1/1 so I couldn't go wrong with it.

Kudos to Brian Gray for signing Kevin John because he does some unbelievable work and I got a great sketch.
harrisonfordsketch.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
At the National, you could pay $25 for a black and white or $40 for a sketch card by Kevin, and pick the player. I commissioned one of Mark Grace in color for my collection. He's backed up for about a month he said with the orders, so it will be awhile until I get it, but can't wait. The samples he had were awesome. The Leaf booth had those $25 grab bag sketches, but the commissioned ones were much more detailed. It's cool that the cards will have 1/1 Leaf backs on them too.

Topps and Leaf have hired him for special projects. He did a Jeter card the day after 3,000 hits and it sold for over $300. He usually doesn't do artwork for the public, but Leaf negotiated the National Deal. Also, some NHL and NBA sports teams are now hiring him to do posters that are reproduced as 11"x17" promotional stadium giveaways.

JETER-3K-COMBO.jpg

curtisgrandersonsm.jpg

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I talked to Kevin John live at the National. He was a pretty cool guy. The next day I see him at the leaf booth and he is drawing some mini cards. He worked on a. Jordan card as I talked to him at the Leaf booth. It was incredible to see the detail in the mini.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
Yeah, if you look through his website www.kevin-john.com you can see some of his amazing work.

Hey BG, if your reading this could share with us who the main sketches are in the National Exclusive 2011 Leaf Sketch Edition?

Thanks!

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Pretty nice.

Personally I think Jim Kyle and Sean Pence's work is better, but definitely cool stuff.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Kevin was def a really good guy. I wanted to talk to him about a piece but never got back to him.

Members online

Latest posts