Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What the Hall Of Fame has gotten so far this season...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thought this was an interesting read, and thought I would share it here...

The post-season is still a month and a half away, but the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum has had a busy year accumulating memorabilia.

The Cooperstown shrine has already received several pieces from the 2011 season, including:
•The cap worn by the Twins’ Francisco Liriano during his May 3 no-hitter against the White Sox, and a ball from that game;
•a bat used by the Dodgers’ Andre Ethier during his 30-game hitting streak; a game ball from Tigers’ Justin Verlander’s May 7 no-hitter against the Blue Jays;
•a cap worn by Phillies infielder Wilson Valdez on May 25-26 when he recorded a victory on the mound in Philadelphia’s 19-inning win against the Reds;
•the spikes worn by the Giants’ Tim Lincecum when he recorded his 1,000th career strikeout on June 6, becoming just the eighth pitcher in history to reach 1,000 strikeouts in his first five seasons;
•the glove worn by Brian Gordon of the Yankees on June 16 when Gordon became the first player to use a non-leather glove in a big league game (the glove was created by the Carpenter Glove Company, founded and created by Cooperstown resident Scott Carpenter);
•the batting gloves of former big leaguer Dmitri Young, who took home the Bob Feller Player of the Game Award from the June 19 Hall of Fame Classic;
•the bat from A’s prospect Grant Green, who was named MVP of the July 10 Futures Game after going 2-for-2 with an RBI;
•the All-Star Game jersey of the Brewers’ Prince Fielder, who was named the MVP;
• the 1983 throwback Padres jersey San Diego manager Bud Black wore on July 15 as the team honored the late Dick Williams, a former manager
•a jersey worn by the Angels’ Ervin Santana during his July 27 no-hitter against the Indians, along with a ball from the game;
•the jersey worn y the Rangers’ Michael Young when he recorded his 2,000th career hit on Aug. 7;
•a baseball signed by all the American League All-Stars from the July 12 All-Star Game;
•the batting gloves worn by the Yankees' Derek Jeter when he recorded his 3,000th career hit on July 9.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
for this year, id put the jeter and thome only. nothing else...all other stuff is impressive but not hof worthy

dave

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
markakis8 said:
How long do these things stay in the hof? Bc most of those don't belong there

The items may be on display for the year and maybe some of next. Most of the items the Hall has are in storage. I think I heard they only have about 5% of their items on display.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I think for most items that don't hold significant value to the history of the game should be auctioned off to collectors with the proceeds going to various charities that are in involved with MLB. What's the point of these items only being displayed for a year and then put into storage?

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
prospectorgems said:
I think for most items that don't hold significant value to the history of the game should be auctioned off to collectors with the proceeds going to various charities that are in involved with MLB. What's the point of these items only being displayed for a year and then put into storage?
It's a part of the game?

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
I think we should vote on the least significant item that they got this year. I'd say it's between Bud Black's jersey and Dmitri Young's batting gloves.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
I think we should vote on the least significant item that they got this year. I'd say it's between Bud Black's jersey and Dmitri Young's batting gloves.

My vote is for the cap worn by Phillies infielder Wilson Valdez on May 25-26 when he recorded a victory on the mound in Philadelphia’s 19-inning win against the Reds.

it made me YAWN while I was reading the post. :lol:

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
The Hall of Fame is fantastic, when my wife and I went in 2005 I was amazed by the items they had on display. I mean, you might think that Brian Wilson is unique for coloring the black on his shoes, but there is a pair of Willie Mays' cleats where the orange paint is chipping off of the original white. Great items like that are all over the Hall but I was disappointed that many of the items I had read about since I was a kid simply weren't on display anymore. I thinks it's terrible that they can't expand the Hall and get some of this stuff back on display.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
ronfromfresno said:
The Hall of Fame is fantastic, when my wife and I went in 2005 I was amazed by the items they had on display. I mean, you might think that Brian Wilson is unique for coloring the black on his shoes, but there is a pair of Willie Mays' cleats where the orange paint is chipping off of the original white. Great items like that are all over the Hall but I was disappointed that many of the items I had read about since I was a kid simply weren't on display anymore. I thinks it's terrible that they can't expand the Hall and get some of this stuff back on display.

It would be even cooler if they set up a second HOF somewhere.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's technically called the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. This kind of stuff belongs in the museum as it features historic and interesting memorabilia from all through out the history of the game.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
none of that belongs in the HOF except for Thome and Jeter stuff. unless they collect balls from all of the no-hitters or something. the wilson valdez cap - i wouldn't pay a plug nickel for that

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
Hallsgator said:
It's technically called the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. This kind of stuff belongs in the museum as it features historic and interesting memorabilia from all through out the history of the game.

Exactly, its not all about the results. People are talking about the statistically significance and Jeter and Thome's items are the only ones that belong, but things like Gordon's glove are very significant because they tell the history of the game. Coooperstown is amazing because it shows the transformation of the game through artifacts. No one is saying Gordon belongs in the Hall, but his glove being there is cool and its deserved. Just like Tommy John's name is now a HUGE part of the game. Just because something isn't statistically worthy being in the hall doesn't mean its not historically important. These things show how great the game is in my opinion. Also the artifacts are rotated, you won't see all this stuff if you go out there, you might never see the same thing twice at the hall which is why a few hours there is just not enough for a true baseball enthusiasts.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Zymco said:
Hallsgator said:

Exactly, its not all about the results. People are talking about the statistically significance and Jeter and Thome's items are the only ones that belong, but things like Gordon's glove are very significant because they tell the history of the game. Coooperstown is amazing because it shows the transformation of the game through artifacts. No one is saying Gordon belongs in the Hall, but his glove being there is cool and its deserved. Just like Tommy John's name is now a HUGE part of the game. Just because something isn't statistically worthy being in the hall doesn't mean its not historically important. These things show how great the game is in my opinion. Also the artifacts are rotated, you won't see all this stuff if you go out there, you might never see the same thing twice at the hall which is why a few hours there is just not enough for a true baseball enthusiasts.

I know what you're saying, and for the Gordon glove you make a great point. The Lincecum spikes though? He was like the 500th pitcher to get into the 1000 strikeout club. Do they have the spikes from the 500 pitchers too? It just isn't very special or exciting.

•the jersey worn by the Rangers’ Michael Young when he recorded his 2,000th career hit on Aug. 7;

265 players are currently in the 2000 hit club.

•the bat from A’s prospect Grant Green, who was named MVP of the July 10 Futures Game after going 2-for-2 with an RBI;

Really? If they put it on display now, 99% of the visitors will scratch their head and say "who is Grant Green? And why is it that special to go 2-2 with 1 RBI!?" And even if Grant Green gets into the HOF 30 years from now, it won't be that neat of an item. People will want to see the bat he used to hit #3000!

• the 1983 throwback Padres jersey San Diego manager Bud Black wore on July 15 as the team honored the late Dick Williams, a former manager

Why do they even want to store that thing? Give it to Bud Black's nephew, or somebody who cares to see. I would be pissed if they made me PAY to see that. And even a little sad to lose my precious 2 minutes standing there reading what this jersey is and pondering on how the hell it got into this museum display. You know? Maybe I'm missing the historical value of this jersey.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
RL24 said:
Zymco said:
Hallsgator said:

I know what you're saying, and for the Gordon glove you make a great point. The Lincecum spikes though? He was like the 500th pitcher to get into the 1000 strikeout club. Do they have the spikes from the 500 pitchers too? It just isn't very special or exciting.

•the jersey worn by the Rangers’ Michael Young when he recorded his 2,000th career hit on Aug. 7;

265 players are currently in the 2000 hit club.

Really? If they put it on display now, 99% of the visitors will scratch their head and say "who is Grant Green? And why is it that special to go 2-2 with 1 RBI!?" And even if Grant Green gets into the HOF 30 years from now, it won't be that neat of an item. People will want to see the bat he used to hit #3000!

Why do they even want to store that thing? Give it to Bud Black's nephew, or somebody who cares to see. I would be pissed if they made me PAY to see that. And even a little sad to lose my precious 2 minutes standing there reading what this jersey is and pondering on how the hell it got into this museum display. You know? Maybe I'm missing the historical value of this jersey.

We have no idea how long these things will ever be on display, or if they even make it out on the floor. Im not going to go through every item and justify its reasoning for being there, but for the first one, sure 1,000 strikeouts isnt that big of a feet for Lincecum, but the thing that is a feet is the fact that he did it in FIVE SEASONS. I think he was the sixth quickest (not positive but he is on a torrid pace) to do so. So in that instance yeah Lincecum reached 1,000 strikeouts quicker than almost everyone else in that club. Also whats the argument against these kind of things? The player is nice enough to donate a personal item from their own collection to the hall of fame in hopes it can be kept for decades and hopefully shown off to teach the history of the game for generations, if its seen awesome, if its felt that the item is not that significant and is just sitting in a hall of fame warehouse or returned to the player, who cares? Its not like the Grant Green bat is being accepted into the hall of fame instead of a babe ruth bat. The hall of fame has so many artifacts, trust me if you see something there that you dont care about, take two steps to the left and you will have your mind boggled by something incredible. I dont get why anyone cares if the hall of fame and grant green agree on a deal where the HOF shows off Green's bat.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
daveyou said:
for this year, id put the jeter and thome only. nothing else...all other stuff is impressive but not hof worthy

dave

I personally think the Gordon glove should go there (first use of a new piece of baseball gear) and Valdez's cap as it's not often a position player gets the win (other than today's minor league game where Andy LaRoche and Sacramento defeated Albuquerque in the 13th inning and LaRoche was the winning pitcher).

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
alabamalongsnake said:
none of that belongs in the HOF except for Thome and Jeter stuff. unless they collect balls from all of the no-hitters or something. the wilson valdez cap - i wouldn't pay a plug nickel for that
Not sure it the display is still there but they used to have a wall with a ball from every no hitter on display.

bdj610

Aug 7, 2008
Des Plaines, IL
Reading the Cooperstown books (those annual HOF books they put out), they do have a display of artifacts of significance from the season or seasons before. All the things they've collected are of significance for the 2011 season, and will be on display there until it's time to move on to the next season or decade. If the HOF didn't think they'd need it, they wouldn't have asked for it.

Members online