Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

22 Years Ago Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Aug 18, 1989: The last left-handed catcher

PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA - On this date in 1989 left-handed Benny Distefano of the Pittsburgh Pirates did something that hasn't been done since - catch. For reasons some think are spurious, major league baseball has avoided using left-handed receivers behind the plate. Distefano played in three games in '89 for a total of six innings. Dale Long caught two innings for the Chicago Cubs in 1958, and Mike Squires caught two innings for the Chicago White Sox in 1980. According to the New York Times, those are the only times a left-handed catcher has appeared in a major league game in over 100 years.

The strongest argument not to use a left-handed catcher is that most hitters are right-handed and would get in the way of a left-handed catcher trying to thrown down to second. That problem occurs less frequently with right-handed catchers because there are fewer left-handed hitters, although as Alan Schwarz points out in the New York Times, there are a lot more left-handed hitters than there used to be.

On the positive side, a left-handed catcher should have an easier time fielding bunts down the third baseline because he doesn't have to turn all the way around to throw to first. A left-handed catcher should also have an easier time than a right-handed catcher trying to pick off a base runner at first with a left-handed batter in the box.

Another reason to avoid left-handed catchers is the throw to third on a steal attempt. A hitter in the right-handed batter's box is in the way, but it's equally a problem for right-handed catchers trying to pick runners off first to throw around a left-handed batter in the box.

Distefano is puzzled there have not been more left-handed catchers. He told the New York Times, as far as he was concerned the biggest problem for a southpaw catcher was fielding a throw from the outfield up the first baseline. Reaching with his right arm would leave his left shoulder - his throwing shoulder - exposed and prone to injury if there was a collision.

http://www.todayinbaseball.com/cms/081810-lefthanded

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
maybe there is no left-handed catchers because you'd have hitters interference all the time when you try to throw someone out at second base with a right handed hitter. ;)

I should go read the rule since it's been awhile, but it might be the batter just has to make reasonable effort to not interfere so if the batter gets hit with the throw or the catcher's followthrough, it might not be batters interference.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
JP I have thanked this post

Its the kinda thing I've always noticed but I didn't realize it was to such an extent

Members online

Latest posts