Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Customer Service... Unreal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
Ok, soooooo. I'm at my wits end and I need to vent to someone other than my fiance. So I will appologize up front for the long read that I anticipate is ahead of you.

OK, So here goes, lol.

Backstory: About a month and a half ago I received 2 packages from Topps fulfillment service for 2 redemptions I was waiting on. One was an Alex Wimmers Refractor autograph #/500 and the other was a Drew Pomeranz Refractor Auto #/500. I opened the Wimmers only to find exactly what I expected... An Alex Wimmers Refractor auto #/500. Then on to the Pomeranz, I opened the package only to find, this...

IMAGE1145.jpg

Woooohoooooo A topps chrome refractor of Jin Young Lee!!!

So obviously, I was not happy with the mistake. So the next day I called the customer service department at Topps and spoke to a very nice young lady who appologized and told me to send the card back to her at their NYC office and she would fix it. I was happy to do that and I dropped it with a little letter in the mail on July 2nd on my way to the airport for vacation.

The letter is here: (read if you like but it basically says fix the problem and it is silly that this seems to happen so often)

Topps Customer Service
1 Whitehall St.
New York, NY 10004

To Whom It May Concern:
I am writing today to get a mistake on the part of Topps Redemption Fulfillment Company corrected. About a month ago I entered an online redemption code for a 2010 Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects Refractor Autograph of Drew Pomeranz. I received the package that was supposed to be this card about a week ago and inside was the enclosed Jin Young Lee Topps Chrome Refractor card. Please send me the card I was supposed to get as it is insulting to think that I get this base card instead of the card I paid for.
My mailing address is:
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I would also like to point out that errors like this end up costing consumers like myself both time and money. It may seem minimal but I’ve had to send items back to Topps 7 times in the last year from either missing advertised content or from errors in your redemption process. The total cost monetarily has now surpassed $20 in postage; just so that I (the customer) can do what is required for you (the retailer) to fix your mistakes. On top of that it takes time and effort to sit on hold with your customer service center , write letters like this one and take packages to the post office.

Thank you for fixing this error…
Sincerely,
ME

Fast forward to this Sunday...

I had yet to receive the correct card from Topps and I hadn't heard from them to let me know that it may take a little while. So I figured I would shoot them an email to find out what was up. I attatched a copy of the letter I sent with the card and the scan you see above of the card and the envelope it came in.

Here is the email I sent on Sunday:
To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing to follow up on my communication with your customer service department almost a month ago. I have yet to hear back concerning the attached letter and card that was sent to me instead of the redemption that I was waiting on (2010 Drew Pomeranz BC Draft Refractor Auto #/500). Please read the attached letter as it explains what I am waiting to hear back about and view the attatched scan to see the card that I sent in with the letter. I have a confirmation number (USPS Confirm # 9101785091401120982754 delivered July 5th) for the letter and the card that was sent back to the Topps customer service department and I have yet to hear back or receive the correct card. Please let me know when to expect the correct card?

Thank you for your time...
-Me

Now to today, when I get this response @ 2:03 PM from a CS rep named Mike.
"we will ship this out now. very sorry."

Then about 3 hours later at 5:14 PM I get this response from a CS rep named Joe.
"Mr. bballjunky24,

I have contacted the shipping department and have told me that your order was correctly fulfilled and that you were initially sent a Drew Pomeranz card. The part numbers are different so the system would not allow the card to have been shipped out under the guise of a Drew Pomeranz card. I also contacted the fulfillment center to see if they have received your package and they told me they have not. I apologize.

Regards,

Topps CST"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I pooped a brick... This last response in one sentence said to me. "We think you are lying, there is no way we made a mistake, we never make mistakes". Also, it is apparent that this guy didn't pay attention to anything I sent. I never indicate anywhere that I sent anything to the fulfillment company. The DC I provided shows the NYC zip code of their office.

I just got done writing this back to them:

"Who am I to believe?

Mike, who says that I should expect the pomeranz because it is going in the mail immediately @ 2:03 PM.

OR

Joe's reponse at 5:14 PM. Where he essentially calls me a liar and dismisses the possibility of a mistake on the part of the redemption fulfillment co. In response to that claim and the proof that he thinks he has, I will say this.

First, I never sent anything nor indicated that I sent anything to the fulfillment co. My letter is addressed to the customer service department in NYC on whitehall st.

Second, the delivery confirmation number shows the correct NYC zip code which once again proves that I sent the card to Topps as opposed to the fulfillment co.

Third, his assumption that no mistakes can EVER be made by Topps or their fulfillment co. is laughable. This assumption leads him to the conclusion that I am lying. What a great way to handle a customer complaint! I should implement that in my business as a best practice.

I have done everything that has been asked of me. I sent the card back to the address in NYC as I was instruced by the rep over the phone to do. If this cannot be resolved with the CUSTOMER SERVICE department I will escalate the issue until it reaches someone who doesn't want to consider me as the thief.

Thank you for your great CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Sincerely, "
ME

I find it hard to believe that our dollars are being spent to have a customer service department call us liars. I have never had an experience like this with Topps. I just got through dealing with what I thought was one of the worst experiences with Panini, however, Topps has found a way to top that.

I will update with their response as soon as I get it.

Thanks for letting me vent on here.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
If you remember, I also received a Jin-Young Lee refractor in the mail on the SAME DAY that you did instead of a Pomeranz refractor auto. I spoke to a rep on the phone who told me to send it back to the exact same address that you mentioned above, along with a letter explaining the situation. They know that this happened to more than one person as well, as the rep told me that they had received other complaints about the exact same mixup. I even referenced your issue in my letter and on the phone, and provided a link to your initial thread on FCB so that Topps CS would know that this was more than just a one-person problem.

That said, I got my replacement card in around a week. I can't believe they would treat you this way when it's completely apparent that there were many others out there who had the exact same thing happen to them.

PomeranzRefRedemptionBS-1.jpg

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
OhioBobcat3 said:
If you remember, I also received a Jin-Young Lee refractor in the mail on the SAME DAY that you did instead of a Pomeranz refractor auto. I spoke to a rep on the phone who told me to send it back to the exact same address that you mentioned above, along with a letter explaining the situation. They know that this happened to more than one person as well, as the rep told me that they had received other complaints about the exact same mixup. I even referenced your issue in my letter and on the phone, and provided a link to your initial thread on FCB so that Topps CS would know that this was more than just a one-person problem.

That said, I got my replacement card in around a week. I can't believe they would treat you this way when it's completely apparent that there were many others out there who had the exact same thing happen to them.

PomeranzRefRedemptionBS-1.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I did remember it happening to someone else and I was hoping you would pop up. I'm going to send that quit swearing joe a link to this thread...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
FCB definitely needs a separate 'Complaints' board, it would make for quick & easy reference and would channel all the negative energy.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Come it is Topps. We were at the National and tried to ask them questions at there meet and great But where ignored. And when they did take questions their made my head hurt. :(

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Pine Tar said:
Come it is Topps. We were at the National and tried to ask them questions at there meet and great But where ignored. And when they did take questions their made my head hurt. :(

wait, you were at the topps talk they had and they ignore you? Please explain.

Kevin

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Put together a quick little youtube video with the letters, emails, scans, etc. and include the specific people involved and their phone extensions. Add some circus music in the background and then email them the link. I'd be very annoyed with that if I was them!

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
schmidtfan20 said:
Pine Tar said:

wait, you were at the topps talk they had and they ignore you? Please explain.

Kevin

They didn't ignore, they just didn't call on everybody for questions. Too many people.

DINANBBS

Aug 7, 2008
Hi all my name is mike . I head up cs for topps. I did ship this card out to you. If you do not get it within four days email me at [email protected] or call me direct 212 376 0663. Thanks mike

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

A_Pharis

DINANBBS said:
Hi all my name is mike . I head up cs for topps. I did ship this card out to you. If you do not get it within four days email me at [email protected] or call me direct 212 376 0663. Thanks mike

DINANBBS is a great rep. Takes very good care of the customer.

And I don't think the OP is wrong, but when I send in a "letter explaining the situation" I try not to sound like I'm talking down at them.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
DINANBBS said:

I was just about to say that if a Mike sent you an email that it was resolved, then ignore anything that a Joe would have sent. Glad to see Mike post here. Looks like this situation will have a happy-ish ending shortly.

DINANBBS

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks all we try . Joe is new but learning fast. We have a small group to take care of everything. If you guys need anything just let me know . No matter what time...

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
When I spoke to Mike about my issue (receiving an Ozzie Smith auto instead of a Mariano Rivera auto), he acted like I was bothering him. I didn't know, at the time, he was the guy from the boards, nor did he know I use the boards. Not that it should matter.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
My shop got a crummy Koji Uehara T206 auto in exchange for a 2011 Tribute Dale Murphy relic auto today! Also got an '09 Ticket to Stardom Longoria bat auto /489 (kinda ugly card)in place of a Reggie Jackson triple jersey auto from Tribute and a Pedroia bat auto/489(another crummy looking card) in exchange for a Jeremy Hellickson jersey auto RC from 2011 Tribute. These people opened 2011 Tribute because of the high end look of the set and got these terrible 09 Ticket to Stardom cards instead(nobody liked that product at my shop). From now on ALL redemptions from Topps Tribute will be put on ebay....

A_Pharis

Jastermereel said:
When I spoke to Mike about my issue (receiving an Ozzie Smith auto instead of a Mariano Rivera auto), he acted like I was bothering him. I didn't know, at the time, he was the guy from the boards, nor did he know I use the boards. Not that it should matter.

As someone who deals with people all day long, it's hard to keep a chipper attitude 100% of the time. Everyone's going to have a bad day. I imagine (though yours was warranted) that Mike gets calls all day where the person is wanting some outlandish replacement (e.g. missing a Justin Masterson auto and requesting Derek Jeter) or people raving because their Bowman is 60/40. After a while, it gets old. I get somewhat less pleasant after the millionth time I remove Koobface from PCs everyday.

Latest posts