Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB blocks Nationals' military-themed hats during game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MLB blocks Nationals' military-themed hats during game

The Washington Nationals had planned to wear hats with military insignias during their game Tuesday, but Major League Baseball blocked the decision.

Instead, the Nationals were allowed to wear the hats only in batting practice.

MLB prefers to have special hats used for national tributes like July 4, where every club is wearing them on the same day. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

The Washington Post notes that the Nationals would have worn those hats in their first homestand since 30 soldiers were killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan earlier this month.

So, why did MLB reject the hats?

A spokeswoman for the Nationals issued this statement to The Washington Post: "As a team that is dedicated to supporting our military service men and women, we requested permission from Major League Baseball to wear hats representing all of the military branches during batting practice and throughout the game. We realize this was an extraordinary request and were pleased when permission was granted to use the hats during batting practice. The players were honored to wear the hats and in doing so were able to demonstrate the team's solidarity with our military community."

The Washington Post then contacted MLB, which explained that league prefers teams to commemorate specific causes with uniform patches or batting practice displays, rather than the actual game hats.

"We reserve hats for national tributes, where every club is wearing them on the same day," MLB spokesman Pat Courtney told the newspaper. "But we're happy to work with clubs on alternatives."

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
The problem is not Bud Selig, it’s the Nats. The helo crash was on August 6. That’s plenty of time for the Nats to have arranged to have New Era make up SEAL logo caps. (Esp since the SEAL logo, as US gov’t intellectual property, is effectively in the public domain.) All the Nats needed to do was plan like three days in advance to get it done. Guess the Nats front office was too busy working on that trade-deadline deal for a leadoff hitter.

Oh, wait, the Nats didn’t get that done either? Your Washington Nationals at work. Anyway, don’t blame MLB for turning the Nats down on account of the Nats failing to do their homework.

...However, it's interesting that MLB allows for the Earth Day caps to be worn by the Tribe, and the green caps by the Pale Hose. If anything, MLB is consistently inconsistent.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Mets and/or Yankees wear NYPD and NY Fire Dept hats every once in a while?

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
vwnut13 said:
RZimm11 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Mets and/or Yankees wear NYPD and NY Fire Dept hats every once in a while?

The Yankees don't.

Thanx, I've seen ones for sale with the Yanks/Mets logo, guess they haven't actually worn them in games though.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
RZimm11 said:
vwnut13 said:
RZimm11 said:

The Yankees don't.

Thanx, I've seen ones for sale with the Yanks/Mets logo, guess they haven't actually worn them in games though.
The Yankes wore them I think right after Sep 11th.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts