Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Disappointments of the Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
Who has had a disappointing season from a fan's standpoint?

I see four in particular: Jason Heyward, Ichiro, Adam Dunn and Chone Figgins.

Heyward: A .220 batting average with 12 homeruns? He was an All-Star last year, so I guess I was expecting a lot more. Perhaps just a sophomore slump.

Ichiro: Going to be hard for him to reach 200 hits. Only hitting .265 this year. His career average is .326--I don't think we expected a 61 point difference in average.

Dunn: Just a horrible season. I like Adam Dunn a lot, but wow, his stats are pathetic. He normally hits more home runs than he has RBIs this year (40). Had a career average of .250 before this year, and he is at .168 now.

Figgins: Similar to Dunn, his lack of production has been a storyline all year. A .188 average in 288 at bats is poor enough, but he is not even stealing bases this year (11/17). It doesn't help that no one can get on base for Seattle, but after 8 solid years in Anaheim and a decent enough year last year, I don't know where this came from.

Anyone else?

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
He's not in the big leagues but Tyler Matzek has been the biggest disappointment of the year IMO.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The Twins. I guess I had hoped for more this year.

And it's hard not to see Josh Sale as a disappointment this year.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Ryan The Orange said:
Who has had a disappointing season from a fan's standpoint?

I see four in particular: Jason Heyward, Ichiro, Adam Dunn and Chone Figgins.

Heyward: A .220 batting average with 12 homeruns? He was an All-Star last year, so I guess I was expecting a lot more. Perhaps just a sophomore slump.

Ichiro: Going to be hard for him to reach 200 hits. Only hitting .265 this year. His career average is .326--I don't think we expected a 61 point difference in average.

Dunn: Just a horrible season. I like Adam Dunn a lot, but wow, his stats are pathetic. He normally hits more home runs than he has RBIs this year (40). Had a career average of .250 before this year, and he is at .168 now.

Figgins: Similar to Dunn, his lack of production has been a storyline all year. A .188 average in 288 at bats is poor enough, but he is not even stealing bases this year (11/17). It doesn't help that no one can get on base for Seattle, but after 8 solid years in Anaheim and a decent enough year last year, I don't know where this came from.

Anyone else?

Heyward is playing hurt so I give him a break. How about Jayson Werth? .227/.331/.381 has to disappoint Nats fans.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
The St. Louis Cardinals

Even with the loss of Wainwright, our record does not reflect our talent level. Not only are the playoffs looking like a slim chance; we made a win-now trade and aren't winning.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
Adamsince1981 said:
The St. Louis Cardinals

Even with the loss of Wainwright, our record does not reflect our talent level. Not only are the playoffs looking like a slim chance; we made a win-now trade and aren't winning.

I can only semi-agree with you on this one. I think we underachieved in 2010, but this year, I think we have played pretty well. With Wainwright and a half-decent closer from day one, I think we would have the division by a good 3-4 games.

Sure, we have lost too many games to teams we should beat, like Pittsburgh and Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is flat out good this year.

Besides Theriot and Rasmus, I think every position player has produced pretty well. I mean, we have the best offense in the NL. Pujols will end up having a "typical" year, and I don't think anyone expected Berkman to be a .290/30/85 guy. Add Holliday, Freese, Jay, and Descalso after the 7th inning, and our lineup is solid up and down.

Bullpen, I think, is the only meltdown point. Franklin sucked when we were winning, the rest of the bullpen sucked when we were tied. Salas has done a remarkable job as a young fill-in, but like the game against the Cubs yesterday, we just can't hold a lead.

Starting pitching has been good enough. Carp has settled down and has been good lately, Garcia hasn't been as good as last year but still has solid numbers, Jackson has done well with the Cardinals, K-Mac got off to a good start...

The trade didn't work out as planned, but it hasn't for Toronto either. Rasmus is hitting .248 right now with them with an OBP of less than .300. It may bite us in the long run, but I can't argue with the decision at the time. Just sucks the Brewers win when we win. And when we lose for that matter. Haha.

Better luck next year, I guess, but I think most people had the Reds winning the division at the start of the year--they have been more disappointing than the Cards.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Ryan The Orange said:
Adamsince1981 said:
The St. Louis Cardinals

I can only semi-agree with you on this one. I think we underachieved in 2010, but this year, I think we have played pretty well. With Wainwright and a half-decent closer from day one, I think we would have the division by a good 3-4 games.

Sure, we have lost too many games to teams we should beat, like Pittsburgh and Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is flat out good this year.

Besides Theriot and Rasmus, I think every position player has produced pretty well. I mean, we have the best offense in the NL. Pujols will end up having a "typical" year, and I don't think anyone expected Berkman to be a .290/30/85 guy. Add Holliday, Freese, Jay, and Descalso after the 7th inning, and our lineup is solid up and down.

Bullpen, I think, is the only meltdown point. Franklin sucked when we were winning, the rest of the bullpen sucked when we were tied. Salas has done a remarkable job as a young fill-in, but like the game against the Cubs yesterday, we just can't hold a lead.

Starting pitching has been good enough. Carp has settled down and has been good lately, Garcia hasn't been as good as last year but still has solid numbers, Jackson has done well with the Cardinals, K-Mac got off to a good start...

The trade didn't work out as planned, but it hasn't for Toronto either. Rasmus is hitting .248 right now with them with an OBP of less than .300. It may bite us in the long run, but I can't argue with the decision at the time. Just sucks the Brewers win when we win. And when we lose for that matter. Haha.

Better luck next year, I guess, but I think most people had the Reds winning the division at the start of the year--they have been more disappointing than the Cards.

Thanks for some good points. If you go back and re-read the preseason picks after the Wain-o injury most people had the Cards finishing behind both the Crew and Cincy.

Fact is (by the numbers) they are the best hitting team in the NL (RBI and Runs) the Pitching has killed us.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Ryan & George,

We are going to miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years. Do you find that acceptable with the talent we've had?

We are 12-11 since the Rasmus trade and we gave away a 23 y/o CFer that we controlled until 2014 to make a playoff run. Every baseball mind said the Jays got a great deal. Only Cardinals fans thought it was a good trade and the only way I would have been able to say it was OK was if we actually made the playoffs.

I'm ready for a regime change

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Adamsince1981 said:
Ryan & George,

We are going to miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years. Do you find that acceptable with the talent we've had?

We are 12-11 since the Rasmus trade and we gave away a 23 y/o CFer that we controlled until 2014 to make a playoff run. Every baseball mind said the Jays got a great deal. Only Cardinals fans thought it was a good trade and the only way I would have been able to say it was OK was if we actually made the playoffs.

I dont disagree, however when you loose you Ace that hurts.

I also contend that we have not had the talent we thought we have had. I hope we can sign Jackson moving forward and find a bat to replace Berkman.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
sportscardtheory said:
CARL CRAWFORD
+1
They spent a lot of money for him and not that he wasn't an elite talent. That's going to be a tough one to swallow over the next 6+ years if he doesn't do something to turn it around. At just under $20M/yr he makes the AJ contract look pleasant by comparison.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
John Lackey

Scary thing is that I don't think most Red Sox fans (myself included) had high expectations.....I know it was my hope that he could just be "good"......so the fact that he hasn't lived up to that, and the contract they gave him, makes him a disappointment to me.

Not that Crawford isn't a disappointment, but IMO Crawford has a way to go before he is despised like Lackey seems to be.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
Adamsince1981 said:
Ryan & George,

I'm with you on the regime change. I want TLR gone just as much as the next guy. I would have liked to have seen him go before this year began.

I think we have underachieved in the 4 out of 5 years, but I think the Brewers are just a flat out better team than us.

As for my stance on Rasmus, as I have said, I thought it was the right deal for a win-now approach. Rasmus had not been producing, and his dad was causing all sorts of problems. Three years from now, we might regret it. Unfortunately, the win-now approach just didn't work.

Now, you have to take into consideration that I have been critical of Rasmus from the start. I have never been a fan of his, and I have always thought he strikes out way too much and plays horribly lazy defense. Perhaps if I liked him more I would be more critical of the trade.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
Easily Vernon Wells.
BA: .201, OBP: .234, SLG: .365
At current rate, he will end with the lowest OBP in the past 20+ years. He has also been suspect in LF. Horrible numbers for any player, let alone getting paid $23m this year.

Members online