Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I know we've talked about BIN/BO before but............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I couldn't help but sharing this story. Since I was the potential buyer I guess I didn't see the seller's reasoning behind it. Will someone please explain?

I was watching a 7 day auction with an opening bid of $45. I emailed the seller and asked to end it for $35. No luck on my end. After 7 days and zero bids the seller relisted the same auction as a $45 BIN/BO. I made a formal offer through ebay for $35. I received a counter for $44.99. I was actually hoping the seller would counter with $40 and I would then get it. Now I know it's only $4.99 more but the simple principal has steered me away from this seller. Thanks for the read.

G

cbrandtw said:
I couldn't help but sharing this story. Since I was the potential buyer I guess I didn't see the seller's reasoning behind it. Will someone please explain?

I was watching a 7 day auction with an opening bid of $45. I emailed the seller and asked to end it for $35. No luck on my end. After 7 days and zero bids the seller relisted the same auction as a $45 BIN/BO. I made a formal offer through ebay for $35. I received a counter for $44.99. I was actually hoping the seller would counter with $40 and I would then get it. Now I know it's only $4.99 more but the simple principal has steered me away from this seller. Thanks for the read.
Maybe he just wants $45 and he can do that?

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Wow... see as a seller I tend to lower my price to make a sale, but why even make a counter offer if its one cent less, its just insulting to the buyer.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
He has a price in mind, the only problem is that, he doesn't realize it is not worth his price yet. A counter of minus $.01. I would have countered his offer with 34.99 and put a message for him to shove it somewhere!

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
While I don't understand why sellers ever do that in a situation like that, it all comes down to the absolute most you'd pay for that card. If you'd pay 44.99 for the card, buy it. If not, offer him the max you would and live with whatever happens from there.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I agree with the op, it's a joke, and it makes the seller look like an idiot. Why even have a BO? A $35 offer on a $45 BIN/BO is perfectly legit, ESPECIALLY after going through an ebay cycle without a hit...

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Gwynn545 said:
I agree with the op, it's a joke, and it makes the seller look like an idiot. Why even have a BO? A $35 offer on a $45 BIN/BO is perfectly legit, ESPECIALLY after going through an ebay cycle without a hit...

Some guys are different... some just want to sell, others simply want to see how much they can squeeze out of a buyer.

autocut

Maybe he hates haggling. I'm that way to an extent. The seller say taking offers. Someone ask how much you want for it, They give a price of $45. The potential buyer ask would they take $40 for it. If the buyer had a price in mind, why not just offer the $40 in the first place instead of trying to haggle. Not saying that's your situation, but if I say taking offers and they want me to quote a price, that price stays firm for them. As you say... principle

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
autocut said:
Maybe he hates haggling. I'm that way to an extent. The seller say taking offers. Someone ask how much you want for it, They give a price of $45. The potential buyer ask would they take $40 for it. If the buyer had a price in mind, why not just offer the $40 in the first place instead of trying to haggle. Not saying that's your situation, but if I say taking offers and they want me to quote a price, that price stays firm for them. As you say... principle

+1

To OP: So, it is ok to get mad at the seller for having his price in mind? (BO that can be there for back up if he decides based on action). It is his card, and his right to sell it or not. You want to be cheap squeeze the seller for $5, but he's the dick for trying not to lose $10???
You didnt offer your best offer, as you said you were willing to pay $40. I think it is you that needs the education on the BIN/BO terminology. Maybe countering $.01 is ******* but he probably doesnt want to haggle. Do you approch all BO's expecting to get countered to an agreeable middle by submitting something lower than what your willing to pay?

I can sympathize with the seller. I have a few BOs out ($10 cheaper than any other similar BIN, and about +/- a few dollars of competed listings, and I am getting low ball offers, I think just because they'll try.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
alwayson22 said:
If, as a seller, you hate haggling, just put a BIN. The fact that a seller puts a BO on an item indicates that he/she is willing to haggle.

+1, and it really is that simple.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
ArtVandelay said:
autocut said:

+1

To OP: So, it is ok to get mad at the seller for having his price in mind? (BO that can be there for back up if he decides based on action). It is his card, and his right to sell it or not. You want to be cheap squeeze the seller for $5, but he's the dick for trying not to lose $10???
You didnt offer your best offer, as you said you were willing to pay $40. I think it is you that needs the education on the BIN/BO terminology. Maybe countering $.01 is ******* but he probably doesnt want to haggle. Do you approch all BO's expecting to get countered to an agreeable middle by submitting something lower than what your willing to pay?

I can sympathize with the seller. I have a few BOs out ($10 cheaper than any other similar BIN, and about +/- a few dollars of competed listings, and I am getting low ball offers, I think just because they'll try.

Mr. Constanza, I'm not mad by any means. I'm just trying to understand the philosophy behind things. The seller has all the right in world to do whatever he/she chooses. Since you sympathize with the seller why not just start your auction as a minimum bid instead of asking for a BO just as the other posters have indicated? PLease understand I'm not mad by any means. I just don't understand why one would ask for a BO and counter with .01 less than your BIN. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning. Maybe it would benefit me in the future as a seller. Thx

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
cbrandtw said:

Pretty simple answer. The seller already told you they wouldn't take $35 for the card. You then come back and offer $35 again through eBay, to which he replies with a F Off counter of one cent less than his asking price. You probably pissed off the seller by wasting his time with an offer he already turned down.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If you list a card with a best offer option and someone makes you a legitimate offer, countering 1 cent below the BIN price is completely unprofessional. If you want $45 for it then just make it a BIN with no Best Offer option. If you want to field offers and need at least $45 for it, then make the BIN price $60 and field offers. Counter anything below $45 to $45. It's very simple.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
cbrandtw said:
ArtVandelay said:
autocut said:

+1

Mr. Constanza, I'm not mad by any means. I'm just trying to understand the philosophy behind things. The seller has all the right in world to do whatever he/she chooses. Since you sympathize with the seller why not just start your auction as a minimum bid instead of asking for a BO just as the other posters have indicated? PLease understand I'm not mad by any means. I just don't understand why one would ask for a BO and counter with .01 less than your BIN. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning. Maybe it would benefit me in the future as a seller. Thx

I said the $.01 counter was ******* and I dont agree with that. I was just saying you came in here bitching that the guy did that to you (when you were willing to pay $40). Had you offered $40, the amount you think is fair for the card, we wouldnt be having this discussion and you would have the card in your hands.
As far as my sympathizing goes, that was towards my listings and these scenarios. I was saying that people will still low ball the lowest BIN/BO just because they can.

Depending on how many listings, starting an auction at a high minimum value could add up because you get 7 or 10 days max. You get 30 days for BIN for .50 cents. As others have said, maybe just do BIN at a reasonable price that should sell and not offer the BO option.

Would this strategy help or hurt sales? Would you just hit the BIN outright? Would you still try to send a message to a seller with only a BIN option with your "best offer"? Or just move on to someone else's listing?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ArtVandelay said:
Do you approch all BO's expecting to get countered to an agreeable middle by submitting something lower than what your willing to pay?

Uhh...yeah. Isn't that how any smart, logical person would go about it? You do that with a home or a car or anything. Why would I ever throw up the top amount I want to pay first time around? That's just asking to pay more than you want.

Hypothetically, say you want to pay a max of $50 for an item, you don't offer $50 because a seller will counter with $65 fully expecting you to at least go somewhat higher on you're counter offer. If you're maxed out, you're now way too far apart to get a deal done. Yet, if you offered $40, he counters with $60, then you can hit him back with $50. Even if he initially wanted $65, if he sees you are at least willing to work with him, he might be inclined to do the same with you.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ArtVandelay said:
I was just saying you came in here bitching that the guy did that to you (when you were willing to pay $40). Had you offered $40, the amount you think is fair for the card, we wouldnt be having this discussion and you would have the card in your hands.

I say if the seller wanted to get $40 for it, he would have countered with $40. If you will take $40, and you're smart about it, by countering with $40 and letting the buyer know it's your final offer, you can do two things. You can get him to probably buy it or you can at least politely let him know you aren't going any lower. Either way it gets him off your back and you don't have to worry about it. You've done everything you can and still left yourself open to possibly moving the item.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
predatorkj said:
ArtVandelay said:
Do you approch all BO's expecting to get countered to an agreeable middle by submitting something lower than what your willing to pay?

Uhh...yeah. Isn't that how any smart, logical person would go about it? You do that with a home or a car or anything. Why would I ever throw up the top amount I want to pay first time around? That's just asking to pay more than you want.

Hypothetically, say you want to pay a max of $50 for an item, you don't offer $50 because a seller will counter with $65 fully expecting you to at least go somewhat higher on you're counter offer. If you're maxed out, you're now way too far apart to get a deal done. Yet, if you offered $40, he counters with $60, then you can hit him back with $50. Even if he initially wanted $65, if he sees you are at least willing to work with him, he might be inclined to do the same with you.

Your only flaw in this response is that you equated buying baseball cards to a car or house! Also two purchases that have major complexities and other parties involved - commissions, financing etc. Buying a baseball card should not go through 3 back and forths as you describe above. This being said from my point of view assuming the card is priced at the going rate. Yes if it is inflated to field offers, I have no issue going back and forth to feel it out. My cards were priced below any other BIN (and at going rate), so my sediments are directed at cheap-o's in general that will low ball the already lowest price.

To the OP, when he got countered $.01, he should have offered $40 when it was relisted, and told the seller this is his final offer. The OPs original card was priced at 45 and he was willing to pay a max of 40. It sounds like a fair deal, and 3 back and forths are not warranted to get a 45 dollar card down to 40.

Members online

Latest posts