Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

10 years Ago Today @ Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

In the top of the 3rd inning , Mark McGwire Hit His 22nd HR of the season which was Career HR #576. The HR came on August 21,2001 off of pitcher Juan Acevedo. McGwire gave the bat to then Teammate Relief Pitcher Steve Kline and inscribed the bat with the HR number . Years later Kline gave the bat to a local friend who then put the bat up
For sale on eBay. I worked out a deal and I then loaded up my GPS and drove out the following morning 3.5 hours to Western Pennsylvania to pick up the bat up in person. Because I was able to pick the bat up the next day is the only reason I was able to get it. I was told by the seller that minutes before I arrived at his store someone made a higher offer for the bat. Since the deal was off eBay, and the Postal service was involved he simply could have just came up with a reason via email saying the deal was off. Being 3.5 hours away sealed the deal luckily for me. I obtained the bat on May 22,2010

Here  is the Bat and video of the HR 

576007.jpg

mac2001005.jpg

McGwire8-21-01.gif

The Backstory of McGwire HR Bats:

McGwire HR notated bats are Needles in the haystack. McGwire memorabilia collectors know that on occasion he would Inscribe a bat with the HR number then sign it and give it away to a teammate , coach , friend etc.  But they never ever pop up on the market for sale. Along with mine I know of 3 others and 2 of them are in the HOF (62 Bat and the other bat from 98 that was used for the final 4 HR's of 98 66-70) They are the top prize for a McGwire fan. When he played he had no Memorabilia agent or company. So there was no direct source for his GU stuff during the height of his popularity up until he retired .  Cardinal Charity Auctions or Tony LaRussa's Animal Rescue Charity Auctions were really the only way you had a chance to get His GU stuff from his Cardinal years. So really  the only way to obtain a game used item was to get it directly from him. These "Gift" bats were given away to charities,  a coach, team mates or a friend of his. Top notch quality McGwire Autographed GU bats such as my 98 Bat, was given to his former minor league coach and my 99 GU bat which was donated to a charity auction. These  are  Perfect examples of these "Gift" bats . I am also certain my 96' GU bat which also has incredible use and has a handle crack , along with a flawless auto was most likely a gift bat as well. But a HR notated bat is the best kind of bat you could have received from him. And unless you fit one of the above criteria , then a bat like this is a thing of legend. Watching  him play in person and seeing him Hit HR 's , made me always dream of owning a real HR bat. To own an actual inscribed specimen is just flatout mind blowing. Think of your favorite all time player , and imagine owning one he used for one of his final Career HR's. With current players you can, because of memorabilia agents but with a player who was very specific as to who would receive one , unless you were in that inner circle , you better keep dreaming. And that is the story of my most prized piece of sports memorabilia that is not a card. Thanks for reading about my trip down memory lane :)

George K said:
Do you ever see a day where you might have to break up your McGwire collection?

At the present day , no. But after I get done with the last year of school , I wil have have around 15k in student loans I will have to pay off. If I can land a job immediately after I graduate I won't have to. But if not , I might have to sell off some stuff. I do know that Ig if i move 3-4 bats and a pair of cleats I would have about 97% of the loan debt paid off. If I can pay off my loans without touching my collection I will be sitting pretty :)

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Let's hope that day never comes because it sounds like you have it all figured out. Keep on collecting. One day I gotta see if you can help get my Boss Darkness on the Edge of Town box signed. :D

Members online