Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kimbrel and Freeman for Co-Rookies of the Year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
Kimbrell will blow away rookie saves record as he's currently tied with over a month to go. Freeman was my pick but I think you just split the baby and give them both after seeing that stat.

Thoughts

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Re: Kimbrell and Freeman for Co-Rookies of the Year?

rookie save record? LOL is that a stat?

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
alabamalongsnake said:
Kimbrell will blow away rookie saves record as he's currently tied with over a month to go. Freeman was my pick but I think you just split the baby and give them both after seeing that stat.

Thoughts

There is 0 chance of Freeman winning ROY.

That has already been won by Kimbrel. 40 saves, and it's not even September yet? So, you can put aside your dreams of Freeman winning the ROY, because it simply isn't happening.

I don't agree with relievers winning ROY all the time, but Kimbrel has been great. This thing is ova.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
BowmanChromeAddict said:
On a serious note, the combination of Kimbrel and Freeman on the same team might actually split the votes and open it up for Worley to win it.

I've never quite understood this taking away votes from teammates.

What does being on the same team have to do with anything? A voter should vote based on the top 3 or whatever rookies-if the best 2 rookies are on the same team, what does that have to do with anything?

And as I said above, this thing is ova. Kimbrel is the guy. And, that won't stop his teammate being 2nd in the voting, if he so deserves it.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
hail2thevictors said:
alabamalongsnake said:

Thoughts

There is 0 chance of Freeman winning ROY.

That has already been won by Kimbrel. 40 saves, and it's not even September yet? So, you can put aside your dreams of Freeman winning the ROY, because it simply isn't happening.

I don't agree with relievers winning ROY all the time, but Kimbrel has been great. This thing is ova.

I agree. I'm also not a huge fan of Relievers winning ROY or Cy Young, but his arm is absolutely electric and the season he has had this year is one for the ages as far as rookies go. He's one of my favorite pitchers to watch and that's coming from a guy who couldn't care less about the Braves.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
hail2thevictors said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:
On a serious note, the combination of Kimbrel and Freeman on the same team might actually split the votes and open it up for Worley to win it.

What does being on the same team have to do with anything? A voter should vote based on the top 3 or whatever rookies-if the best 2 rookies are on the same team, what does that have to do with anything?

And as I said above, this thing is ova. Kimbrel is the guy. And, that won't stop his teammate being 2nd in the voting, if he so deserves it.

I don't see how ROY voting wouldn't be affected by 2 guys on the same team but yet two guys on the same team up for MVP does get dramatically affected.

Seems like the same scenario to me. I'm no expert on these topics, just my opinion, or deduction as the case may be.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
BowmanChromeAddict said:
hail2thevictors said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

I don't see how ROY voting wouldn't be affected by 2 guys on the same team but yet two guys on the same team up for MVP does get dramatically affected.

Seems like the same scenario to me. I'm no expert on these topics, just my opinion, or deduction as the case may be.

I personally don't think it matters because Kimbrel will win it regardless IMO, but the argument is over the term "Valuable" for the MVP. Basically, if two guys are front runners for MVP, often people disagree with which of the two was more valuable to the team since there are many ways to define what value truly is. That is how one teammate can "take away" votes from the other teammate.

With Rookie of the Year, it really doesn't matter who was most valuable to the team. All that matters is which Rookie was best.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:
hail2thevictors said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

I personally don't think it matters because Kimbrel will win it regardless IMO, but the argument is over the term "Valuable" for the MVP. Basically, if two guys are front runners for MVP, often people disagree with which of the two was more valuable to the team since there are many ways to define what value truly is. That is how one teammate can "take away" votes from the other teammate.

With Rookie of the Year, it really doesn't matter who was most valuable to the team. All that matters is which Rookie was best.

Right, exactly.

Rookie of the year is the best statistical rookie. Most Valuable Player is the most valuable to a team-which is why it is more than just statistics that come into play.

If it was the Most Valuable Rookie, then 2 rookies on the same team would probably negate each other a bit. But when its purely statistics that matter for ROY, the top 5 in voting could be from the same team-it really doesn't matter. The ROY and MVP are definitely different, if you ask me. ROY is all stats, MVP includes value to team, winning, etc.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Hmm Houston Street and Andrew Bailey both won it as relievers (both Athletics too haha). And so did Neftali Feliz in 2010. Don't rule out kimbrel just cuz he's a reliever

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Re: Kimbrell and Freeman for Co-Rookies of the Year?

cgilmo said:
schmidtfan20 said:
rookie save record? LOL is that a stat?

The phillies are better than anything ever.

OMG a Vaminal Ryan Howard hybrid would own!

VamHow! That's what Imma call it.

Wow Gilmo, you kinda laid down with the dogs here...

You're better than this.

:lol:

One of the braves will win ROY.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Kimbrel is one the nastiest pitchers I've seen in a while.

His last 31.2 IP (over 32 games):

12 H
0 R
0 ER
10 BB
55 K
0.72 WHIP
0.00 ERA

that's as dirty as you can get.

Members online