Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Milb Performances - 8/24

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Today's notables include:

Drew Hutchison (AA New Hampshire debut)
Casey Crosby
Tom Milone
Jesse Biddle
Alex Torres
Austin Hyatt
Trey McNutt
Jarred Cosart
Alex Colome
Kyle Drabek
Jason Adam
Kevin Matthews
A.J. Cole
Noah Syndergaard (Low-A Lansing debut)

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Jim Callis: Bauer has had no trouble carving up high Class A and Double-A hitters, so I'd give him the call. The Diamondbacks could use some rotation help and the NL West race will go down to the wire, so I'd give him the call. He won't be intimidated by the big leagues and I think he could succeed immediately. I've said this before, but I would have taken him over any college pitcher in the 2011 draft, including the two who went ahead of him (Cole, Hultzen).

That's not true, at least I don't think because...

Tyler (Harrodsburg, Ky): Jim, I'm just curious why there seems to be a scouting concensus that Gerrit Cole is a better pitching prospect than Trevor Bauer. Statistically, it is no comparison in Bauer's favor. And from a visual perspective, I watched all of Cole's performances during the tournament last year and I came away unimpressed. He showed little faith in his offspeed pitches, and when he did throw them, they weren't controlled well. He seemed like a 80% fastball throwing pitcher. Outside of body type, why do scouts favor Cole over Bauer?

Jim Callis: Cole's stuff is better this year, with his slider a plus-plus pitch and his changeup at least a plus offering. I think it's fair to say that scouts are more comfortable with Cole's delivery and routines than with Bauer's. At the same time, I don't think scouts think there's a huge gap. Cole is the top pitching prospect in this draft, but Bauer isn't far behind.

Granted, I asked him that about a month into the 2011 season.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
bballcardkid said:
Granted, I asked him that about a month into the 2011 season.

There ya go. Cole started the season very well, as I recall, but sputtered about halfway through. Bauer has been consistently dominant, and has changed many people's minds.

(Adam wasn't one of them. He knew all along.)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Just added to Milb.com - Noah Syndergaard will be making his Lansing (Low-A) debut tonight.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Hopefully Zack Cox can continue this tear he is on. Since the last hot sheet he is hitting .529 with 4 HR.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Tim Wheeler HR # 30 (Finally! He's been at 29 since 7/25). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tim Beckham HR (4)

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Must have missed the memo that Grichuk was promoted yesterday, hit a double with the 66ers in his first game.

This should help him move along nicely being in the Cal League now. If he can stay healthy.

des1984

Aug 6, 2009
Machado 2-3, run
******* 2-3, 2B, rbi
Profar 2-4, 3B, run, 3 rbi's
Sano 2-4, 2B, 2 runs
Mason Williams 1-3, BB, run, rbi and 2 SB (22, 23)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Domingo Santana HR (10)

BTW, Chris Reed makes his pro debut for RC. Was the 1st round pick for the Dodgers this year.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brandon Nimmo hit his 1st pro HR. :cool:

(I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in this morning's daily BAPR.)

braden

Aug 7, 2008
AA debut was nothing for Hutchison. Struck out his standard seven in five innings. No runs, two hits. The guy's amazing.

Members online