Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Explain this eBay buyer to me please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Can anyone tell me why someone would accept a counter offer on eBay and then not pay? Newer member and can see people leaving feedback for him on items ranging all over sales wise.

I kindly sent the person a message asking when they were expecting to pay and no response. Tomorrow marks 7 days since the auction has ended an automated NPB will go out from eBay on the 8th day.

I guess I just don't understand why you would go back and forth on an offer, accept it and then just not pay or respond to a nice message asking when they were paying?

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Someone did this to me after they haggled me for a couple days.

Pisses me off to no end.

Wasnt even a high dollar card either.

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
Just had one of those last week on a dustin ackley bgs 9.5.

Sent a counter offer..buyer accepted and never responded or paid..so dumb..

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
It just sucks as nothing happens to these buyers. They get a little slap on the wrist from eBay, but I think you are allowed about 5 slaps before you are finally suspended for however long.

Maybe it's just a game to these people that don't end up paying. I can see it being fun to haggle, but man up and pay for the auction.

I am going to keep my eye on this new member and see if he lists anything in the future. I can play his little game too.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
prospectorgems said:
It just sucks as nothing happens to these buyers. They get a little slap on the wrist from eBay, but I think you are allowed about 5 slaps before you are finally suspended for however long.

Maybe it's just a game to these people that don't end up paying. I can see it being fun to haggle, but man up and pay for the auction.

I am going to keep my eye on this new member and see if he lists anything in the future. I can play his little game too.

It's not worth getting yourself reprimanded on eBay. Go through the proper measures to get your listing fee back and leave some nasty feedback letting other sellers know his tricks and block him. If he does something like that once more and another seller leaves negative feedback, people will stay away from him.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
Had some assclown pull that with me a few weeks ago. Not only did he not pay for mine until the 12th day and NPB was opened, he bought and paid for quite a few things (well over 20) that ended after he accepted the counter offer. The other items were all cards, some higher priced, some lower priced and some even ended 11 days after he "bought" mine. All for a $22 card. I'm all done with that crap. That was just plain insulting to see his feedback jump day after day on items that ended after mine did.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I just posted basically the same thing in another thread - but this is just another example of why it would be nice if buyer feedback was still allowed.

Or even better - If anyone at Ebay is reading lol - if buyer feedback was scrapped due to retaliatory negatives, if they have any unpaid item strikes that number should be listed in their profile (how many and when, just like feedback). That is completely objective, and could potentially keep stuff like this from happening if it's a pattern.

That situation does suck.....and to answer your question - only options I can think of are they are a complete D-Bag, a damaged individual that really has no idea what their doing, or possibly someone selling a similar card? Bid on your card, tie it up and allow them to sell their's at that price.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I can't vouch for any of these buyers as I know it wasn't me(I always pay up). But what I will say is I have actually accepted offers on cards and then found the same card via some other seller a lot cheaper, after the fact. I mean, people go to shows, shops, other web sites, and even other sellers on ebay. You don't know, they may have told someone what they are going to pay and someone may have sliced off a few bucks or even offered it to them at an extreme discount knowingly or not. I've seen cards on ebay and then see them at one of my shops and there was quite a price difference. Many times it would benefit me to stay off of ebay except for local guys(Astros, Texans, Rockets) for this very reason. Me, I take it on the chin and just try to keep in mind that even though this is a hobby, I need to be a better shopper. Some people may not do that though. A guy accepts your counter offer for $25 and then sees the same card the very next day at his local shop for $10, he'll snag it and won't probably even feel bad for never paying you. He'll think to himself he saved $15, you've still got your card, and you can sell it to someone else.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
You make a good point predatorkj. I am sure that could be the case with some of the buyers. I guess I can't be too upset about the guy not paying. I was taking a decent loss in accepting his counter offer, but at the same time, I really needed the funds so I guess that's just how it goes. This is the first time for to have this happen, but I now see it has happened to other people so I now have to go into it thinking that there is never a guarantee that the buyer will actually pay when haggling on a price. I can see if he didn't have the funds as it has happened to me occasionally and then would at least have communication with the seller explaining what is going on, but to not even contact me about it really sucks especially after he keeps buying other things and getting constant feedback. At least it's easy to block him for future purchases.

I see that he also won Jaypers Wily Peralta Super. Be curious to see what happens with that.

Members online

Latest posts