Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

don't feel like googling, can someone explain waivers to me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
i know, novice question, but Why does a team put someone on waivers?
mainly thinking about heath bell being put on waivers.

G

Over the next month, deals involving players on 40-man rosters cannot be made unless the players have cleared waivers. A player exposed to waivers can be claimed by any team and -- if there are multiple claims -- the player would be offered to the team with the lesser record.

At that point, a team has 48 hours to either try to work out a trade with the claiming club or remove the player from waivers. A player can only be pulled back from waivers once, but if he clears waivers either the first or a second time through, a team can attempt to trade him to any club.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Teams risk nothing putting players on waivers. Also every once in awhile a team gets lucky and gets to unload a bad contract for nothing. Rios comes to mind. White Sox claimed him and Toronto said ok take him and his fat contract. If you do claim a waiver guy you can get stuck with him. Boston tried a few times dumping Manny Ramirez on waivers for nothing. Just hoping a team would have claimed him and they would not have pulled him back and let him and his contract go for nothing.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
One thing to note is that the process of teams placing players on waivers has an element of secrecy to it. I don't believe that players being placed on waivers have to be announced to other teams. This is often why a player can sneak though waivers or "clear" waivers.

Someone please correct me on this if I am incorrect.

Members online