Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many of you actually look & analyze shipping vs. actual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Seriously, how many of you actually get a bubble mailer from an ebay seller, look at the price they paid on the label (if they have one) and analyze it and compare it to what you paid for?

I'm not talking about high end (ie you paid $10 to get it shipped and then it was shipped for $1.71). I'm talking about $3.00 shipping and the label says $2.30....do you gripe about it? Do you give the guy 1 or 2 stars for shipping?

For me, I get the bubble mailer, take the card out, make sure it looks good (no crazy or BIG, BIG problems with it...I can handle a few minor chipping or whatever...no biggie). Then I throw the bubble mailer out, leave feedback and I'm done.

Argh...had to vent a bit from those crazy ebayers! :evil:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I always factor shipping in to the cost of any eBay purchase, so it is fruitless for me to even look. However, I consider a modest handling fee acceptable so even if I were to look and see a lesser charge for the actual delivery than I paid for shipping & handling, it would be a non issue for me. And I dont nit pick stars unless its a major issue.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
matfanofold said:
I always factor shipping in to the cost of any eBay purchase, so it is fruitless for me to even look. However, I consider a modest handling fee acceptable so even if I were to look and see a lesser charge for the actual delivery than I paid for shipping & handling, it would be a non issue for me. And I dont nit pick stars unless its a major issue.

I agree. I think the majority of the ones that slapped me with a 1 or 2 are stupid newbies that have never sold a thing on ebay in their lives...

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I do the same as you Messier, however I keep the bubble mailer to reuse as a mailer itself, or to package a card in for extra protection inside of another mailer, might as well reuse somehow if possible, less waste and costs out of my pocket.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
id def recommend offering free shipping as a seller. not only did the shipping rate star improve, but overall as well. lol.

seems like buyers appreciate the free shipping so they don't feel the need to ding the rest for some reason.

I've done the same method by charging $2.99, lowered to $1.99 then finally to free and it def improved all factors of the star system. of course, high ends that costs me bet $20-35, I charge $10-$15 to meet in the middle and they also appreciate that as well.

dave

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I do.

I have recently bought two iPods from eBay sellers. Both times I was charged $12-15 in postage. An iPod Nano is not large. One time it was shipped with priority mail using exclusively USPS free packing stuff... charged $5.20 in postage. The other time it was about $3 postage.

I asked both sellers to rethink their handling charge and offer a potential refund. One seller ignored me, the other seller gave me the runaround and offered me $10 back AFTER I dropped a negative to remove it. I didn't take it. I don't remember if I neutral'ed or negatived the other seller. It was the runaround that ticked me off more than just being ignored.

Now, this was a $7-12 handling "charge"... I'm not gonna get my ******* in a bunch over a $.70 charge. Bubble mailers/toploaders/penny sleeves cost money too.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Shipping and Handling

Cost for me on most packages is $1.85, I charge $2.25 for no matter how many you buy. Since I have around 1000+ auctions every week I am not going to give free shipping. Last night I had 3 orders of 25+ cards and I charged $2.25 if they get their ******* in a bunch over that they can leave me whatever feedback they want.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Although I do look at my incoming bubble mailers I never deduct any stars off the DSR unless I get charged $10 shipping for something that only cost like $1.80, then I just leave a neg.,but if I get charged $4 for something that cost $2 + change, I still give 5 stars.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
For the most part I don't worry about the shipping amount I pay vs the actual shipping so long as it's reasonable. I factor in shipping to the total cost for the purchase. That obviously changes if shipping charges get outrageous. The more it creeps over $3 for a single non-graded card (multiple graded cards can probably be shipped for this), the more I start to think about it. Also, if I'm paying ~2.50-$3 for shipping, I expect a bubble mailer, even if it's a cheap card. I'm not paying that much shipping for a PWE.

That being said, if I paid what I planned and got the card safely and in a timely manner, I probably won't neg, neutral, or ding DSRs. I know how important that stuff is to sellers and how much eBay jerks sellers around because of minor stuff. However, I will still send the seller a message to let them know the problem I had with their shipping methods.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
As a seller, I use free shipping on cards

As dave said, it seems to increase DSR's.

Besides, I just overprice all my crap anyway

:lol:

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I probably only would if something else pissed me off.
Like it took over 2 weeks or something to get to me (within the U.S.) or I knew the shipping was $4.00 and see they went the bare-bones route. Or I payed $3 or more dollars and get a PWE, etc.

If I get the card in a reasonable time and it's packaged well with decent S&H I'm not going to be concerned if it looks like they charged a bit too much.
I also give some wiggle room, because I don't think you should assume everyone's experience is the same as your own. i.e. - they may not have a need to buy bubble mailers in bulk, so maybe the cost on those is a little more to them. Or there PO may suck, so it could take a couple extra days than you'd expect and it's not their fault, etc.

jgro85

Mar 15, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I've always considered it "shipping & handling" and that's what I use to justify charging $3 to send something out for $2.10.

I still have to buy the bubble mailer, the top loader, the sleeve, the tape, and sometimes drive to the post office. I'd say that's all worth $0.90 or so.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
jgro85 said:
I've always considered it "shipping & handling" and that's what I use to justify charging $3 to send something out for $2.10.

I still have to buy the bubble mailer, the top loader, the sleeve, the tape, and sometimes drive to the post office. I'd say that's all worth $0.90 or so.

It is. But too many eBay buyers think they are owed something and therefore shipping should be free and they also know they can extort you with negative feedback if you dont meet their every whim.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Just got 2 bubble mailers now. Looked at the label $1.08 (the guy charged me $2.00)...should I make a big deal...nah...just left him positive feedback!

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
HPC said:
It is. But too many eBay buyers think they are owed something and therefore shipping should be free and they also know they can extort you with negative feedback if you dont meet their every whim.

Shipping shouldnt be free but also not sure when shipping an item became a business for ebay sellers. I love the whole "my time argument". If your time is that valuable you really shouldn't be selling it shipping items, you really should stick to your other job of being a brain surgeon since they make about 75 cents per 25 seconds.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
nyc3 said:
HPC said:

Shipping shouldnt be free but also not sure when shipping an item became a business for ebay sellers. I love the whole "my time argument". If your time is that valuable you really shouldn't be selling it shipping items, you really should stick to your other job of being a brain surgeon since they make about 75 cents per 25 seconds.

Didn't realize brain surgery had gotten that cheap :D

time to schedule my lobotomy

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
there, there. i feel your pain. but seriously ive given up on caring cause what can you do with dumb buyers. did anyone notice the price jump for paypal shipping tho. it went from minimum of 1.41 for under an ounce to 1.75. what the crap. stop sending me ads to ship stuff AT THE POST OFFICE (I KNOW IT EXISTS) and then you wouldnt be losing money and passing the costs to me. stupid govt

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
MOFNY said:
If I see a card I like I'll usually scan his other auctions so I can save on shipping. Buy in bulk is my philosophy.

Thats how I ebay too. Not worth $3 shipping for one 50 cent card... And I reuse the bubble mailers too.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Probstein just charged me $8 to ship one card. I am pretty sure he just uses bubble mailers. I am hope he doesn't print the postage on the label as it might tick me off. I don't mind high shipping as long as you get something for it. I mind the folks that charge $5 for shipping and send used bubbles or PWE's.

Members online

Latest posts