Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Congrats, Astros Prospectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
You have now officially locked up the #1 pick next year.

Who are you hoping to get your hands on, at this point?

FYI - here's how the rest of the bottom of the pack stands, as of now.

Team -- Winning %

Orioles - .405
Royals - .410
Twins - .421
Mariners - .424
Padres - .448
Marlins - .450
A's - .451

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Wouldn't mind getting another HS player:

IMG_0039.jpg

Goldsoundz

Dec 26, 2010
I could be wrong, but they haven't officially wrapped up the 1st pick yet. They are just the 1st team to be eliminated from the playoffs. The Astros could win the rest of their games and if the Orioles, or a lot of other teams, lose the rest of their games, the 'Stros wouldn't have the first pick.

Goldsoundz

Dec 26, 2010
The article says the Astros are "staring the pick in the face." It also says they have a "ten game lead with 30 games left." They will more than likely have the first pick. But it's not set in stone yet.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
The Astros are 44-90. They have 28 games remaining. They could finish 72-90. Any team with fewer than 72 wins right now could still theoretically finish behind the Astros.

They have not locked up 30th overall.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
I love how his source was thebleacherreport.com

any one can write on that website doesnt make it true.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
People sure have been piling on Jaypers a lot lately.

There may be a few hypotheticals to his post, but in all likelihood, does anyone think the Astros will REALLY win 10 or more games than ANY team in the league the rest of the season?

They are damn near fielding a AAA team right now.

As for who they should take at #1....I have no clue who any of the top available guys are right now. Would be nice to pick up an impact power bat (that can play at 1st or 3rd) or a dominant starting pitcher (a la Bauer).

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
t3dudek said:

Oh, for Chrissakes. ::facepalm::

I was Googling articles about next year's draft, happened upon that website and thought the Astros' fans here might be happy to read about it, in an otherwise dreary season.

I had no reason to think it wasn't true, and you have to admit the headline was misleading.

nbailey

Apr 2, 2010
Jaypers said:
Who are you hoping to get your hands on, at this point?

First, Ed Wade is going to have to call the Phillies and ask them which player they eventually will want.

Personally, I think the Astros need a college arm here (Mark Appel) but they could go high school pitcher (Lance McCullers). Our last several top picks have been bats (Jason Castro, Delino DeShields, and George Springer), the system needs pitching desperately.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
nbailey said:
First, Ed Wade is going to have to call the Phillies and ask them which player they eventually will want.

Exactly. Doesnt matter who we'll get. They wont be in an Astros uniform for longer than 2 seasons tops.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
Jaypers said:
t3dudek said:

I was Googling articles about next year's draft, happened upon that website and thought the Astros' fans here might be happy to read about it, in an otherwise dreary season.

I had no reason to think it wasn't true, and you have to admit the headline was misleading.

Bleacher Report is a SEO: Avoid its articles like the plague.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Jaypers said:
t3dudek said:

Without piling on, it should be repeated that The Bleacher Report is not a reliable source of information. It's essentially a collection of blogs with limited, if any, editing or oversight.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Wes said:
Jaypers said:
t3dudek said:

Without piling on, it should be repeated that The Bleacher Report is not a reliable source of information. It's essentially a collection of blogs with limited, if any, editing or oversight.

I like how you start your post with "without piling on" then proceed to say the exact same thing several other people already said in this thread. Which would be the exact definition of piling on in regards to this context. Nice job though. ;)

Wes

OG
Administrator
Weimer said:
Wes said:
Jaypers said:
t3dudek said:

I like how you start your post with "without piling on" then proceed to say the exact same thing several other people already said in this thread. Which would be the exact definition of piling on in regards to this context. Nice job though. ;)

I SAID NO OFFENSE SO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE OFFENSE!

Seriously though, I think it's fair to say "without piling on," if you include no criticism of the original topic or post.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Wes said:
Weimer said:
Wes said:
Jaypers said:
t3dudek said:

I SAID NO OFFENSE SO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE OFFENSE!

Seriously though, I think it's fair to say "without piling on," if you include no criticism of the original topic or post.

Yes, I suppose it depends on your definition of "piling on." I just felt like giving you **** because I can. :twisted:

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
OK, so the Astros aren't guaranteed the first pick. But let's face it, they are going to have it.

I wonder how much money will come into play, and if they'll be willing to shell out a ton for a HS guy.

Members online

Latest posts