Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SGC?? grading questions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 23, 2011
SAN DIEGO, CA
I'm a noob when it comes to grading, i do know that BGS and PSA are the official kings...and people prefer the two from there...

but when it comes to vintage baseball cards...

what about SGC??? i see a lot of grading from SGC...

i'm currently looking at SGC cards and am confused for three reasons...
question 1

I see one card i must have in my collection, but there's no grade, it's labeled "AUTHENTIC"...so obviously it's not a reprint which is a win for me...but why is it labeled authentic and not graded??
question2
but the other question i have is there's always two grades on SGC cards...one of top is usually (i'm assuming) on a 100 scale ( 84) but i see an "84" and beneath it it'll have 7 NR MNT or GOOD or whatever...why do the top and bottom numbers not match...can someone explain this to me? and how is SGC regarded in the community...thanks in advance!!

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Authentic means the card was trimmed or otherwise altered. But it is a real card

Oh and you are right. The top is their 100 scale, the bottom is the more used 10 scale

Jul 23, 2011
SAN DIEGO, CA
Lancemountain said:
Authentic means the card was trimmed or otherwise altered. But it is a real card

Oh and you are right. The top is their 100 scale, the bottom is the more used 10 scale

isn't that a little weird tho, or am i overthinking this?

shouldn't a card with 84 on top be an 8 on bottom, instead of a 7...or if it's a 7 shouldn't it be between 70-79? what's the difference between the two, and you said the lower number is more preferred?

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I really don't know the correlation between the upper number and the lower number, but SGC is definately a well repected grading company, especially for pre-war. It may be the preferred pre-war grader, but PSA is close. Their holders are sturdy and look very nice. There is debate about similar conditioned cards graded by each company and which ones realize higher sales. I believe there is a thread on Net54 discussing it. I'd have no more worry purchasing something in an SGC holder than from PSA or BGS (BVG). No grading company is perfect as can be shown for each of those 3, but they're all by far and away the best. As already mentioned though, SGC A means the card was trimmed or altered in some way and the other grading companies would most likely find the same alteration, but it is real. Good luck with your purchase.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
UODucksbestcollector said:
Lancemountain said:

isn't that a little weird tho, or am i overthinking this?

shouldn't a card with 84 on top be an 8 on bottom, instead of a 7...or if it's a 7 shouldn't it be between 70-79? what's the difference between the two, and you said the lower number is more preferred?

:eek:

http://www.sgccard.com/grading_scale.htm

Members online

Latest posts