Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Doug Fister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
A few weeks back when the trade was made some people were saying Fister was not very good. Man it sure looks like he found a nice groove in Detroit. Those boys look alot better with an upgrade at the three/four in the rotation.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
He must wake up every day and thank whatever imaginary being he believes in that he escaped from the dreadful Mariners offense. Only way things could have gotten worse for him is if Seattle traded him to Houston!

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The Tigers badly need some consistency behind Verlander in the rotation so hopefully he'll be able to keep this up.

Scherzer is tough when he's on, but when he's off....the Tigers stand no chance. Just gotta hope he's on his game.

Porcello is pretty much the same as Scherzer except maybe a little streakier. If he catches a hot streak going into the playoffs, I could see him winning a big game or two for Detroit.

Penny is not the answer. I honestly have no idea how he is only a game under .500 with the way he has pitched this year.

If Fister can step up and be the #2 guy and keep the Tigers in the game, they'll have a chance in the playoffs. It'll take a couple big performances from Scherzer/Porcello if they're going to go beyond the first round, but from what Fister has shown me so far, I can see them possibly winning at least one series.

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
DeliciousBacon said:
He must wake up every day and thank whatever imaginary being he believes in that he escaped from the dreadful Mariners offense. Only way things could have gotten worse for him is if Seattle traded him to Houston!

He's Mormon. Also, I've watched all of his starts since his MLB debut. Except for one or two poor starts, he's pitched quite well. His success with the Tigers isn't all that surprising.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Not sure why this is 'surprising' to most as his ERA hasn't changed since he left the M's, he's done this all year.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, I'll echo the guy above me. Why is this surprising? He had great stats, just a horrible W-L ratio with the Mariners.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
He's one of my favorite pitchers in the game right now. Performs pretty much every night he's on the mound and doesn't have the prettiest stuff. Crafty is why I like him.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Superhuskiefan1 said:
Us mariner fans arent shocked by this but everyone else seems to be

Besides trading Prime Griffey, Arod, Randy Johnson, which were more about stars and money, we also traded
Dave Henderson and Danny Tartabull, Mike Hampton, Omar Vizquel, Tino Martinez, Jason Varitek, Cruz, JR., Damasco Marte, Scott Podsednik, Raul Ibanez, Carlos Garcia, Rafeal Soriano, Adam Jones, Shin-Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera, (maybe Ezequiel Carrera), ...oh yeah, we traded away a guy named David Ortiz who kinda turned out pretty good...

So I agree, superhuskiefan1, not only are we not surprised, but we come to expect that players traded away will play much, much better. I know that you may have been thinking that "we are not surprised because we've seen Fister pitch great", but I just had to on my reason why I am not surprised... :D

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Could be wrong, but seems like the OP is referencing the reactions many people had to this trade. It seems like it was unanimous that the Mariners did great, which won't be known for a few years. As a Tigers fan, I loved it because we got 2 guys under control for 3+ years I believe, and Fister has been solid since making it to the majors.

I think Martinez could be a nice hitter, but the jury is of course still out. Ruffin should be a solid bullpen guy, then Furbush and Wells seem to be the dime a dozen type.

As all the hype said, the Tigers desperately need a consistent guy behind Verlander-and Fister is looking like he may be able to do it.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
hail2thevictors said:
Could be wrong, but seems like the OP is referencing the reactions many people had to this trade. It seems like it was unanimous that the Mariners did great, which won't be known for a few years. As a Tigers fan, I loved it because we got 2 guys under control for 3+ years I believe, and Fister has been solid since making it to the majors.

I think Martinez could be a nice hitter, but the jury is of course still out. Ruffin should be a solid bullpen guy, then Furbush and Wells seem to be the dime a dozen type.

As all the hype said, the Tigers desperately need a consistent guy behind Verlander-and Fister is looking like he may be able to do it.

Yeah you got the drift.

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
Gwynn545 said:
Superhuskiefan1 said:
Us mariner fans arent shocked by this but everyone else seems to be

Besides trading Prime Griffey, Arod, Randy Johnson, which were more about stars and money, we also traded
Dave Henderson and Danny Tartabull, Mike Hampton, Omar Vizquel, Tino Martinez, Jason Varitek, Cruz, JR., Damasco Marte, Scott Podsednik, Raul Ibanez, Carlos Garcia, Rafeal Soriano, Adam Jones, Shin-Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera, (maybe Ezequiel Carrera), ...oh yeah, we traded away a guy named David Ortiz who kinda turned out pretty good...

So I agree, superhuskiefan1, not only are we not surprised, but we come to expect that players traded away will play much, much better. I know that you may have been thinking that "we are not surprised because we've seen Fister pitch great", but I just had to on my reason why I am not surprised... :D

I don't think Ortiz was a Mariner. He started as a Twin before coming to the Sox. Mariners had Derek Lowe at one time though. You can add him to your list.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
David ortiz started as a mariner and was traded to minnesota as a ptbnl, he also changed his name. I believe he was david arias at the time in seattle.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
DaleMurphyCollector said:
SeattleSports said:
David ortiz started as a mariner and was traded to minnesota as a ptbnl, he also changed his name. I believe he was david arias at the time in seattle.

I stand corrected. I never knew he was/drafted by the Mariners.

He was an international player, he wasn't drafted. Signed as an international free agent, here is his 'bio' as a Mariner.

"Ortiz graduated from Estudia Espallat High School in the Dominican Republic and in 1992 he was signed by the Seattle Mariners who listed him as "David Arias". He played for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, a Mariners farm team, until 1996, when he was traded to the Minnesota Twins as the player to be named later in an earlier trade for Dave Hollins. When he arrived in Minnesota, he informed the team that he preferred to be listed as "David Ortiz."

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Do Detroit fans still think I'm crazy to ask for Nick Castellanos in the trade? Fister at his price for 3 years under club control has a ridiculous amount of value. I would have done Casper Wells and Castellanos for Fister + Pauley.

Members online

Latest posts