Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

IF Strasburg gets seriously injured again...

If Strasburg gets seriously injured again does that destroy his hobby value?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
It would destroy a lot more than his hobby value. I think they're making a mistake by bringing him up this season.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
tikitomoka said:
It would destroy a lot more than his hobby value. I think they're making a mistake by bringing him up this season.

I hear ya. They are risking a lot by testing the elbow under the stress of pitching, but as someone mentioned in another thread: Stras is just as likely to get injured in the minors as the majors.

Since the Nats already began the process they may as well throw him out there against MLB hitters. If he succeeds that will do wonders for his confidence going into next year and he won't have to wait all off-season wondering if he's lost a step against the best competition. If he doesn't succeed, or worse gets hurt, then the move will be highly scrutinized.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
He will be referred to the 2nd Mark Prior and inverted W guys will never be drafted in the 1st round again.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
tikitomoka said:

Making a mistake how? It's not like he would be doing anything significantly different pitching in a game at any other level. He would be doing the exact same thing in Washington as he would be in the MiLB or a Spring Training complex, only the hitters he's facing are much better in DC.

His pitch count will be monitored closely, and he will not be over extended, since they've got a lot invested in him.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
scotty21690 said:
What if he doesn't get injured again?

Then he should become one of the game's elite pitchers and his hobby value will be very strong.

sportscardtheory said:
mwashuc06 said:
He will be referred to the 2nd Mark Prior and inverted W guys will never be drafted in the 1st round again.

I always wonder why they don't just call it M.

:lol:

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I seriously believe that a combination of ******* sports writers and jealous fans are what caused Steve's injury.

Steve hadnt hard arm problems until he reached the majors where alot of people bashed him and said he is overrated, he wont live up to the hype and all that other crap.

So, Steve begins to doubt himself and starts overthinking himself which leads to incorrect mechanics and overexertion that inevitably causes him to get injured.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
bowmanchromeandorr said:
tikitomoka said:

i agree, just start him off in AA next seson to get going then bring him up first of may
He would do a lot more damage not pitching til next year than throwing now.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
tikitomoka said:

I have been saying this all along, I feel it is a TERRIBLE, HORRENDOUS, IDIOTIC, idea to bring him up. What is the hurry? There is none, bottom line. They are risking the franchise for no reason.

skrip

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
ballerskrip said:
tikitomoka said:

I have been saying this all along, I feel it is a TERRIBLE, HORRENDOUS, IDIOTIC, idea to bring him up. What is the hurry? There is none, bottom line. They are risking the franchise for no reason.

skrip

Selling tickets is more important than their future apparently

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If he can pitch, he should pitch. If they want him ready for next season, it's best to let him see some Major League action this season if he's able. It's not about money. They won't see huge dividends from Strasburg only pitching a handful of games. They just want him to be in top form for the start of next season.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
ballerskrip said:
tikitomoka said:

skrip
What difference does it make? He'll be throwing in the minors, in Florida, or in the Majors. He is on schedule, might as well give him some MLB time.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Hallsgator said:
ballerskrip said:
tikitomoka said:

skrip
What difference does it make? He'll be throwing in the minors, in Florida, or in the Majors. He is on schedule, might as well give him some MLB time.

Exactly. There is no additional risk whatsoever.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
cmnkb8 said:
Hallsgator said:
ballerskrip said:
tikitomoka said:

skrip

Exactly. There is no additional risk whatsoever.

I wouldn't have put him in ANY GAME this year. Not a chance. We have had this argument before. Pitching in the bigs is an extra intensity that would NOT be there in the minor leagues. That would NOT be there in an intrasquad game etc. Do you think it is just a coincedence that he didn't have any problems in college, or summer ball, or team USA, or the minors, but did in the MLb?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Do people really believe that pitchers "up their game" in the Majors? As if they are just out there lobbing balls in AAA in hopes that they can somehow fool a ML team into calling them up so they can go full-throttle? lol

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
sportscardtheory said:
Do people really believe that pitchers "up their game" in the Majors? As if they are just out there lobbing balls in AAA in hopes that they can somehow fool a ML team into calling them up so they can go full-throttle? lol

Let me ask you a question. Did you get butterflies the first day you walked in to your job? Do you still have butterflies years later? Of course not, because you got used to it. Just like in the minors, first AA start, sure there is extra butterflies, adrenaline, etc. After 3-4 starts, you are in a groove, used to it, etc. You don't think players have an extra gear, an extra dose of adrenaline when they are making their first few MLB starts?

For example, you know what game I threw the hardest in, in my college career? My first collegiate appearance. Hit 92 on the gun for the first time ever, and last time ever. Never got over 91 mph again.

skrip

Latest posts