Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The coolest item from today's JSA authentication session

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
2011-09-02_11-15-03_853.jpg

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
cmnkb8 said:
http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/sports_impact/2009/01/large_babe-signature.jpg

I'm no expert, but the B & R on the auto ball looks to be signed in a different fashion compared to the card in the link above. The ball looks rather new, and it appears to be signed in Sharpie from the photo.
And that's why nobody pays you for your opinion. That's clearly a fountain pen signature. It's also signed on a curved surface rather than a flat surface so it should appear a little different than the sig you linked.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
IndyManning18 said:
cmnkb8 said:

I'm no expert, but the B & R on the auto ball looks to be signed in a different fashion compared to the card in the link above. The ball looks rather new, and it appears to be signed in Sharpie from the photo.
And that's why nobody pays you for your opinion. That's clearly a fountain pen signature.

:lol: :lol:

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
nyc3 said:
IndyManning18 said:
cmnkb8 said:

And that's why nobody pays you for your opinion. That's clearly a fountain pen signature.

:lol: :lol:

You're right, it could be fountain pen now that you mention it. Still doesn't change the fact the B & R look off though, assuming the example card I posted is legit (and considering its a Prime Cuts, I think it is).

And personally, I wouldn't pay PSA/DNA or JSA for an opinion either, but I'm in the minority.

Edit: Now that I look closer at the pic of the ball, the B appears to match in style, it just looked odd to me before due to the angle. The R still looks off. Regardless, it passed JSA, so congrats to the person who has it.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
cmnkb8 said:
You're right, it could be fountain pen now that you mention it. Still doesn't change the fact the B & R look off though, assuming the example card I posted is legit (and considering its a Prime Cuts, I think it is).

And personally, I wouldn't pay PSA/DNA or JSA for an opinion either, but I'm in the minority.

You do know the prime cuts was also more than likely psa or jsa right?

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
nyc3 said:
cmnkb8 said:

Well, if JSA also authenticated the card as well, then my point would be that they authenticated two signatures that, while very similar, appear to have a distinct difference in one significant part.

TRAVISAKERS

Aug 23, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
cmnkb8 said:
nyc3 said:
cmnkb8 said:

Well, if JSA also authenticated the card as well, then my point would be that they authenticated two signatures that, while very similar, appear to have a distinct difference in one significant part.

I think you should sign your name 10,000 times and let us evaluate if your signature looks the same exact way every single time...

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
TRAVISAKERS said:
cmnkb8 said:
nyc3 said:
cmnkb8 said:

I think you should sign your name 10,000 times and let us evaluate if your signature looks the same exact way every single time...

That's not my point. Take a look at the R's. The one on the card appears to be one continuous motion flowing left to right, ending with the loop going top to bottom, while the one on the ball appears to have the "n" part written first, then the "loop" part is going right to left, bottom to top.

Of course, my point would be moot if Ruth was known to have changed his signing style of the R.

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
Serious question here. Is it ok to hold a baseball like that without transferring oil and stuff to the ball. No white glove treatment?

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
Hullfan said:
Serious question here. Is it ok to hold a baseball like that without transferring oil and stuff to the ball. No white glove treatment?

I would assume the ball was kept in a case the whole time prior to being authenticated, so a few minutes of handling won't do much to it in terms of oil transfer and whatnot.

t_crabby95

Jun 20, 2011
Hullfan said:

WTF DUDE!!!!! no serious questions allowed here!! this here is the internets. it is made for arguing, bitching & pissing contests only. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
It did in fact pass JSA

Back story.

This ball was brought in by an elderly gentleman who has very little involvement in the hobby. He bought war bonds in the 40's when Babe Ruth was pushing them and the ball came with them. He still has the war bonds that were purchased to get this ball. He still has the original reach box that the ball came in.

The ball is in absolutely pristine condition as it has been in that reach box for most of it's life. It was a treat to get to see it, if you know someone who wants to purchase it send them my way. He has asked me to sell it for him.

Members online

Latest posts