Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

who's the biggest big name prospect bust last few years?

who's the biggest big name prospect bust last few years?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
my vote is beckham, he is just awful beyond words, although snider
isnt far behind

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I find it funny that the three names listed for "biggest name prospect bust" have all spent decent time in the Majors.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
I honestly thought pedro alvarez was the real deal but so far, been struggling...too early n young for the bust label but next year is an important year for him

dave

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Villalona was never highly touted enough for my consideration and Alvarez is still too young to consider a bust. You could make a good argument for any of the following: Alex Gordon, Jeremy Hermida, Cameron Maybin, Delmon, and Brandon Wood

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
Keyser Soze said:
Villalona was never highly touted enough for my consideration and Alvarez is still too young to consider a bust. You could make a good argument for any of the following: Alex Gordon, Jeremy Hermida, Cameron Maybin, Delmon, and Brandon Wood

gordon has really turned it around, the others are good.
i guess i was thinking an even shorter time frame, last few years.
um, 200lb, i think u understand what im asking, so why the dumb comment?
gordon beckham stays in the majors for reasons only the white sox know,
but he flat out sucks donkey balls and is a 100% bust period.
he was prospected heavy, is a total worthless mess, and has cost people
good coin. thats kind of what i meant.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Of everyone mentioned so far, there is no debate that it is Brandon Wood.

That isn't to say that he's the biggest name prospect bust over the last few years, but of those mentioned...there is no rational reasoning to list anyone other than Brandon Wood.

As for Delmon Young, what planet are you guys from thinking that he's a "bust"? 162-game average MLB season lines of .290, 15 HR and 90 RBI. Yeah, what a bust!

The same Alex Gordon who is batting .300 with 20 HR this season?

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:

That isn't to say that he's the biggest name prospect bust over the last few years, but of those mentioned...there is no rational reasoning to list anyone other than Brandon Wood.

As for Delmon Young, what planet are you guys from thinking that he's a "bust"? 162-game average MLB season lines of .290, 15 HR and 90 RBI. Yeah, what a bust!

i agree delmon has been decent, was also thinking card wise in the equation.
his stuff was so high once. same with gordon.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
cardboard versus real life baseball, totally different things

Exactly. Simply put they're all busts because they didn't live up to their real or perceived potential in the hobby. Of course everyone here knows exactly what we're talking about because prospecting is entirely based on real or perceived potential.

Perhaps the easiest way to measure the extent a player is a bust is to compare how much his first cards used to sell for (when his real or perceived hobby potential is highest) to how much they sell for today (reality).

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
boomo said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I guess for me, a big name prospect bust is different than a card prospecting bust.

And almost every "bust" mentioned had some solid time for people to make a lot of money.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
boomo said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

But let's really look at that. Why were those guys cards so high? I suggest it is because the people buying them were high. I tip my hat to these two gentlemen for raising the prices of all of delmon/gordon card prices by buying up (and paying way too much for) gold refractors, and especially for creating a sudden love/fascination in the hobby for gold refractors. The masses flocked to gold refractors like sheep, it was honestly a little sad to see. I think that the gentlemen would agree that, in hindsight, it wasn't wise to pour so much money into those gold refractors.

In conclusion, I don't think it was hundreds of people thinking that these guys were going to be the next Pujols, based on their projections. It was two guys who convinced the masses that these players were going to be special, and upon seeing how much these guys were willing to invest, the masses were willing to take a little plunge themselves.

completeddelmon.jpg

pujols5hof

Aug 9, 2011
ok, looked up miller on baseball referebce and saw lastings milledge name above his, i might go with him :D

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
RL24 said:
boomo said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

But let's really look at that. Why were those guys cards so high? I suggest it is because the people buying them were high. I tip my hat to these two gentlemen for raising the prices of all of delmon/gordon card prices by buying up (and paying way too much for) gold refractors, and especially for creating a sudden love/fascination in the hobby for gold refractors. The masses flocked to gold refractors like sheep, it was honestly a little sad to see. I think that the gentlemen would agree that, in hindsight, it wasn't wise to pour so much money into those gold refractors.

In conclusion, I don't think it was hundreds of people thinking that these guys were going to be the next Pujols, based on their projections. It was two guys who convinced the masses that these players were going to be special, and upon seeing how much these guys were willing to invest, the masses were willing to take a little plunge themselves.

completeddelmon.jpg

I find it fascinating how things like this can be pretty much invisible players in the market. If you'd have asked most people buying cards then (and I'll admit to being sucked into the Delmon hype, and picking up a couple of SPx and some Chrome's albeit no gold refractors) no one would tell you they were willing to pay inflated prices because a couple of people were driving up prices, they would have talked about a growing market, good economy etc. Yet this was probably one of the biggest factors. A more easy to follow "case study" was when a couple of people drove the prices on the 2002 Prospect Premieres Prince Fielder RC Auto up from around $65 to $135 by spending around $4000 between them. (Article was in Beckett way back, though I am not sure that many people really understood the ramifications all that well.)

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Just glad that I pulled this and don't have any money into it other than grading fees. ::facepalm::
LaPortaGOLD95.jpg

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
Jeff Clement was a cant miss future All Star according to Beckett's Rolodex a few years ago. 2006 brought us Jason Place and Billy Rowell as well. Almost forgot, Joba Chamberlain cards were going crazy at one point too!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts