Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's 2011 Milb Player of the Year Announced

Did BA Make the Right Decision?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Jaypers said:
Here's is BA's official explanation as to why Trout was picked.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/co ... 12309.html

I literally could not keep a straight face, especially the last portion. But hey - I'm no scout.

You're right, you are no scout. POY is subjective and picking one over many levels is not easy. Its not as if you cant logically explain how Trout won the honor.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
phillyfan0417 said:
Its not as if you cant logically explain how Trout won the honor.

If this was 2010, sure.

Arent you the one who is constantly reminding everyone what BA uses to detmine lists and the hot sheet? Upside Upside Upside

This choice falls in line with their standard formula. Moore had an amazing year but we all know how BA rolls.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
phillyfan0417 said:
Arent you the one who is constantly reminding everyone what BA uses to detmine lists and the hot sheet? Upside Upside Upside

From the article I linked above:

Defining a Minor League Player of the Year is just as difficult, if not more difficult, as defining the Most Valuable Player award. Making things more complicated, BA does not have formal guidelines for our award. We figure if all the voters can fit into one conference room (and they can), we can hash that out in a meeting.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Jaypers said:
Here's is BA's official explanation as to why Trout was picked.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/co ... 12309.html

I literally could not keep a straight face, especially the last portion. But hey - I'm no scout.

You might laugh at the last portion....but did you read all of it?

"Few teenagers who has spent the whole season at Double-A (or above) put up an on-base plus slugging percentage close to Trout's .958 figure. Scouts consider his combination of speed, physicality and hitting ability unique, and his performance was too."

"But he's three years older than Trout, spent much of the year at the same level of play and had merely a great season, not an unprecedented one. In the end, Trout's unique season wound up looking like the one most worthy of our award."

Yes, Moore was very good this season, but you're also being a bit of a homer.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
NECpilgrims8 said:

Oh, absolutely. I must need to get my head examined.

(Hey Will, case closed.)

My job is now done here.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jaypers said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

Oh, absolutely. I must need to get my head examined.

(Hey Will, case closed.)

Why are you getting so uptight?

They gave you the reasons for the decision.

LOL

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I thought it was going to be Moore as well Jaypers.

However, its hard to come up with reason Trout doesn't deserve it as well.

At least they didn't pick Paul Goldschmidt.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
I swear people argue with J.P. just to argue with him. The choice of Trout over Moore is ridiculous. I'm not a homer, I know nothing about Moore as an individual, and care absolutely nothing abour the Rays or their farm system. Moore may be 2 years older than trout but he was much more dominant on the mound than Trout was at the plate. The .326 average is great as is the .410 obp and 33 sb's. But there are a lot of guys that hit 11 HR's and have 38 RBI's. There aren't many 22 year old pitchers that carry a 1.92 era, 1.00 whip, 210 K's in 155 innings, and .184 baa in AA and AAA. This is just my opinion but I think the Trout pick is laughable.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
WJCIII said:
I swear people argue with J.P. just to argue with him. The choice of Trout over Moore is ridiculous. I'm not a homer, I know nothing about Moore as an individual, and care absolutely nothing abour the Rays or their farm system. Moore may be 2 years older than trout but he was much more dominant on the mound than Trout was at the plate. The .326 average is great as is the .410 obp and 33 sb's. But there are a lot of guys that hit 11 HR's and have 38 RBI's. There aren't many 22 year old pitchers that carry a 1.92 era, 1.00 whip, 210 K's in 155 innings, and .184 baa in AA and AAA. This is just my opinion but I think the Trout pick is laughable.

Or people argue to disagree?

JP didnt debate the issue he decided to do what he normally does, instead of talking through the point, he gets huffy about it.

Matt Moore probably was a better choice, at least you took the time to point out why.

Either way, this isnt about how people feel about him personally, some people just dont see it the same way. If you're going to post here, be ready to debate your point without all the emotion.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Here's the deal-whenever you pick ONE guy as player of the year in all of MiLB, there is always going to be a few guys that could have won the award. Moore had a great season, an awesome season, but the guy is not exactly young for the levels he has pitched at. Trout missed a lot of time due to being in the bigs, and obviously the BA staff is deciding based on the limited time he had in AA this year. Oh well, it's how it goes.

Jaypers-I'm just going to put it out there, you need to stop acting like a baby about this stuff. You put your opinion out there to be criticized, and then when someone makes a post saying "here is why they chose Trout" you act like a spoiled brat, and stop posting for the day, 2 days, etc. It's silly man-if you are going to put your opinion out there, you need to understand there are going to be people who disagree with you. Don't run away from it, accept it as a differing opinion.

There are many people who appreciate your contributions to this forum, but your monthly hiatuses are getting a bit old. How many times are you going to spend a day, 2 days, etc off the board because someone disagrees with you?

Just take it for what it is-people are going to disagree. No reason to act childish about it, you are very well liked around here, but this act is starting to get old.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts