Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did Topps screw up on the USA Redemptions in Chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
According to the sell sheet 2 different redemptions were to be inserted in 2011 Topps Chrome.

1 for a pack of 5 Autograph cards (various parallels)

and

1 for a complete set of Non Auto USA cards 1-20 (various parallels)

Looking on eBay All the autograph redemptions say SET and not pack... Did they screw that up? Meaning you will have a ton of pissed off collectors who think they are getting one thing... pay that price... but only get 5 cards instead of 20.

$(KGrHqEOKjUE5,(mBp9oBOZ92HeeSw~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqMOKjcE5mHoELCqBO,!vcWEGg~~60_12.JPG

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
They already admitted they screwed up. The redemptions are for a pack of cards not a set. I honestly dont' know how
topps can fumble the ball on every product. They need to get rid of redemptions.

Kevin

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
They already admitted they screwed up. The redemptions are for a pack of cards not a set. I honestly dont' know how
topps can fumble the ball on every product. They need to get rid of redemptions.

Kevin

Oh they did?

Did someone post about it?

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Every wonder if they are intentionally "fumbling" on every product they release? Much like Platinum, hyping up the product with the sell sheet, pulling the bait and switch on release, and then calling it a "mistake". Hmmm....

There has to be a possible CA lawsuit against the complete mess that is Topps.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Unreal...

They should suck it up and redeem for complete sets...

But, honor is not common in the card business, so I wouldn't hold my breath unless I was underwater.

BG

danimal

Dec 28, 2009
I have a feeling what is going to happen is topps puts the same 5 and 6 cards in each pack and will call each it's own "set". So there will be 4 USA "sets" - two five card sets and two six card sets.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
A_Pharis said:
Did Topps ever claim that the redemption was going to be for a complete set of auto'd cards? I don't think it's a "bait and switch" unless they actually said that there would be redemptions for entire AUTO'D sets.

The sell sheets specify that the base are for whole "sets" and the Autos are for just a 5 card "pack."

Problem is, I don't think most casual collectors ever see the sell sheets. So when they see a redemption that says it is for the "set" they're probably assuming they're getting the whole set.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Leaf said:
Unreal...

They should suck it up and redeem for complete sets...

But, honor is not common in the card business, so I wouldn't hold my breath unless I was underwater.

BG
Absolutely the truth.

It's funny, as total garbage as Groupon's finances are, they grew because of backing up their products/coupons regardless of error, or vendor delivery. Sometimes you have to take it in the shorts and just make it right. In an "instant gratification" hobby like this, product is opened and sold almost immediately making these redemptions costly mistakes for some buyers.

And sadly, it's a common thing these days with Topps.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
There is no way that Topps could redeem all the redemptions for USA autos. They only have a finite amount of stickers signed, it's not like they can just pay the athletes to sign more. If they just made right then the USA box set probably wouldn't get made and that is one of the biggest things to fund USA Baseball.

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass
can anyone link to

1) the sell sheet that says 5 card packs

2) where ever topps said these are only for 5 cards and not the full 20 (and admitting there mistake)

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
1) Lie on the sell sheets
2) Dealers buy more
3) remember that product subject to change
4) Woops, our bad we meant something else
5) Have a nice day, here is the order form for the next product

Kevin

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
From Sell Sheet:

USA Baseball Collegiate National Team Autographs: Collectors can look for
randomly inserted redemption cards. Each card can be redeemed for a pack containing
five autograph variation cards from 2011 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team
members. Twenty autograph subjects in all

USA Baseball Collegiate National Team Set: Collectors can look for randomly inserted
redemption cards. Each card can be redeemed for a set of 2011 USA Baseball National
Collegiate Team members. Cards are numbered USA1-USA20

I know the answer (laziness/don't care/QC), but how can they not change one word on those redemptions before they go out from "set" to "pack"???

Utterly amazing!

If you open a box of 2011 Topps Chrome, don't believe everything you see. The company said Wednesday that a redemption card inside packs reads “You have just received a set of 2011 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team Autograph Cards”.

However, that's not what the company will be sending you.

The card is actually good for either a 5 or 6 card pack of USA Autographs-- not all 22 subjects (now, that would be a good pull).

Topps Chrome just hit store shelves this week.

All USA Autographs are incremental hits on top of the 2 on-card Rookie Autographs guaranteed per hobby box.

USA Autographs are also featured on the following parallels:

Refractor

Blue Refractor

Gold Refractor

Atomic Refractor

Red Refractor

Superfractor

Printing Plates

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I love the press release:

Translated:

You should be happy even though we screwed up because:
1) The USA autos are ON TOP of the 2 hits per box
2) Look at all the fun parallels you can pull

I just don't understand how hard it is to proof-read what you put into packs.

Kevin

Members online