Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card photography...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GKreindler

Sep 6, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey all,

I hope this message finds everybody well. I originally posted this in the vintage cards section, but I thought I'd try my luck here as well.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum might know who some of the original photographers were for the 1953 Bowman set. For those of you unfamiliar with those cards, here are a few:

MickeyMantle1953Bowman.jpg

DukeSnider1953Bowman.jpg

AllieReynolds1953Bowman.jpg

These photo have always been favorites of mine, and I would very much love to track down some high-res photos of them is possible. Though, it's not necessarily for display purposes.

I am an artist who specializes in painting historical baseball scenes, most of which lie in the first half of the 20th century. Being a stickler for historical accuracy, these kinds photos are invaluable resources for my work, especially since blowing the images up from small cards isn't really an option.

Anywho, certainly ANY information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Here are some examples of my work to give you an idea of what I do.

Ty_Cobb_1908_April_14.jpg

Ty Cobb, April 14, 1908, 40" x 62"

Christy_Mathewson_1911.jpg

Christy Mathewson, 1911, 26" x 36"

Lou_Gehrig_1936_Portrait_Conlon.jpg

Lou Gehrig, 1936, 16" x 20"

Ted_Williams_1939_May_30.jpg

Ted Williams, May 30, 1939, 34" x 62"

Willie_Mays_1955_Portrait.jpg

Willie Mays, 1955, 9" x 12"

Derek_Jeter_2000.jpg

Derek Jeter, 2000, 11" x 14"

And I suppose if you want to know of my website, PM me and I'll send ya a link.

Thanks everyone!

Graig

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Holy crap! :shock: :shock:
I am sorry to say I did not know your work before, but I am instantly a huge fan! Great work!!
I know this doesn't help with your question, though...

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Hey Graig...I am one of your stalkers/admirers of your work that sees you Facebook page and also on Net54 on a regular basis. Since Bowman was bought by Topps in the 50's they might have some information they could provide you still in their files. I know with the Topps Vault sales on Ebay new stuff is always popping up. I would contact them and inquire...you never know, they might use your work for a subset or something!! I can see you doing a set of cards of the old timers....now that would be cool!!

Take care and keep up the great work,

Andrew

GKreindler

Sep 6, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Whoa! I thought I had set my account to send me emails when people responded to a thread, but I suppose not - I'm glad I checked back.

Thank you ALL for your kind words and help. I should have guessed there would be a couple of Net54ers on here, too! :p

Wes, to which Williams were you referring? I can post a jpeg on here if you'd like, but at the moment I don't do any prints. There's a possibility that something could be in line for the future, but I'm not even sure about that. I can certainly keep you updated about it if something changes, though.

Andrew, good call on the Topps bid. I probably should try to get in touch with them about the photography - I had forgotten that they purchased Bowman in the late-50s. What I'm worried about is that so much of that original Bowman and Topps artwork is gone now (whether it was thrown away or made it into select private collections), so I can't say that I have super high hopes for any of the photos. But then again, what the heck do I know? I just think that '53 set was beyond incredible, and I suppose my father's love of it has kinda rubbed off onto me. And by the way, feel free to stalk me as much as you want - as long as you're not outside of my window right now. Which you're not, I hope. Right?

But yeah, I'm thrilled you all enjoyed what I posted and are checking out the site. If you'd like to see more stuff, I definitely keep my facebook page updated more frequently than the main website: www.facebook.com/graigkreindler.

Anywho, thank you SO much for all of your help and love!

Graig

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Amazing talent!!!

Another set you might like to look at for background detail is the 1957 Topps set. I love the color photography and stadium backgrounds on those.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Graig,

I would reach out to Mr Topps, Sy Berger (I believe he is still alive) as either he or his family just sold hundreds of the 1953 Topps original paintings last year in the Robert Edwards auctions.

If Sy Berger is not living or you cannot reach him I would contact Rob Lifson at REA as I am sure he has Berger family contacts that can possibly assist you. Rob is a Net54 member and I am very sure he would be happy to help you if he can.

Just a few ideas!!

As for watching you outside your window....I am in Wisconsin so that would be difficult.......OR am I?? LOL

Wes

OG
Administrator
GKreindler said:
Whoa! I thought I had set my account to send me emails when people responded to a thread, but I suppose not - I'm glad I checked back.

Thank you ALL for your kind words and help. I should have guessed there would be a couple of Net54ers on here, too! :p

Wes, to which Williams were you referring? I can post a jpeg on here if you'd like, but at the moment I don't do any prints. There's a possibility that something could be in line for the future, but I'm not even sure about that. I can certainly keep you updated about it if something changes, though.

Andrew, good call on the Topps bid. I probably should try to get in touch with them about the photography - I had forgotten that they purchased Bowman in the late-50s. What I'm worried about is that so much of that original Bowman and Topps artwork is gone now (whether it was thrown away or made it into select private collections), so I can't say that I have super high hopes for any of the photos. But then again, what the heck do I know? I just think that '53 set was beyond incredible, and I suppose my father's love of it has kinda rubbed off onto me. And by the way, feel free to stalk me as much as you want - as long as you're not outside of my window right now. Which you're not, I hope. Right?

But yeah, I'm thrilled you all enjoyed what I posted and are checking out the site. If you'd like to see more stuff, I definitely keep my facebook page updated more frequently than the main website: http://www.facebook.com/graigkreindler.

Anywho, thank you SO much for all of your help and love!

Graig

This one, would love to get something big enough for a computer wallpaper (1920 X 1080). If you ever start selling prints, I'm sure they'll be very popular.

Ted_Williams_1939_May_30.jpg

pujols5hof

Aug 9, 2011
all of the photobucket images that he supplied are merely resized by photobucket per his account settings. if he went into his account (as i did) and set his image quality to best (best you can do for a free account) you get what i resized to.
the info on the original pics would be great.

Latest posts