Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many of you buy Beckett?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
Just taking a non-scientific poll. I MAYBE sell 8-10 Becketts a month out of my shop, and that includes all sports and the monthly. I seem to be sending the majority of them back for credit.

And Beckett's customer service (even for shop owners) is pretty awful. I'd consider not selling them completely if it wasn't for the few holdovers and kids who still buy them. It's almost more trouble than it's worth.

So I was just curious...do you guys still buy the magazine? If so, is it because of the pricing or the articles? If you don't buy it, is there a specific reason?

Thanks for the look.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I haven't bought one for 4 years or so. The articles are the only thing worth reading, but its more work then its worth to get out and buy one

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
i buy it for the collections and other articles in it, i never look at the price guides, wish they would just sell the articles and have the price guide seperate

cowboy60

Jun 22, 2009
I buy the all-sport (order from Beckett I think for 14.00 for one year) I also buy baseball plus and football plus every 3 months from the LCS. I do it for pricing and articles. Problem is they are always behind on delivery two to three weeks (behind when it comes out in the LCS. I use The Card Collector program and use the guides to update pricing etc.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In total, I sell about 2-3 multi 2-3 baseball a month.
multi is horrible and I wouldn't carry it if the same 2 people didn't buy it monthly.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
For those that sell them at their shop, is it worth the time for the profit you make from selling them? Does Beckett pay postage for the ones you have to send back? Who buys them? Kids that want to see what their cards are worth?

I don't think I've gotten one in the last 8 years or so. The pricing is irrelevant because I can just use Ebay's completed listings, and I learn far more from reading FCB than the articles in Beckett, not to mention the numerous blogs that are out there.

agentjak

Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
I think last year I bought a total of 2/3 ?? So I definitely dont make it a habit like i used to..Dont care much for any of the Beckett's anymore.. :( :( :(

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
mrwhitesox30 said:
For those that sell them at their shop, is it worth the time for the profit you make from selling them? Does Beckett pay postage for the ones you have to send back? Who buys them? Kids that want to see what their cards are worth?

I don't think I've gotten one in the last 8 years or so. The pricing is irrelevant because I can just use Ebay's completed listings, and I learn far more from reading FCB than the articles in Beckett, not to mention the numerous blogs that are out there.

I'm only required to mail the covers back in to them, so the postage is only a couple of bucks. But tearing the covers off of 20-25 magazines is just an annoyance.

I mainly sell the monthly, but a couple of baseball guys still buy the bi-monthly, but I can't remember the last fb or basketball Beckett I've sold. I alot of guys my age or earlier don't touch them.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Wow, I really can't even remember the last time I purchased one! My guesstimate is around the 2000 time frame.

I had the OPG through 2010 but stopped that. I'll purchase their monthly once every few months now just to update the organize I have there.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Maybe one every couple years, its hard to justify when the purchase price will get you a couple packs of cards.

Its too bad people don't buy more because every once in a while its nice to look back at old Becketts to laugh at the old prices and to reminisce at what used to be popular.

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
I usually buy the baseball one once a year as well as the multisport, but that's it. I only get them to see what how the current stuff is doing. Alot of insert cards from the 90s are way overbooked and its as if they haven't even bothered to see what they're selling for in the past 10 years. Worse yet is places like COMC uses the Beckett as a reference and people don't realize why their cards aren't selling when most cards that do sell go for about 15% of Beckett.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I like reading the articles that said I usually wait until the end of the month after the covers have been cut and just get one from the card shop guy.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I have some old articles taped to my wall, and ads. I love the ads.

I do have a subscription to BSCM. It was a gift from my grandma. I don't even touch the guide though, just to look at some of the articles (although they are heading downhill in a Lamborghini). Sometimes I peek at the hotlist.

Members online