Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

One of my worst nightmares comes to life(flood related) PICS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA
I will preface this with by saying what many will say "It's just cardboard". This is the first time I will get a "breather" from working on damages from the recent floods(located in Palmyra, PA) since Wed 9/7, so Im taking it to share with fellow COLLECTORs as I'm sure they will be able to sympathize. I'm EXTREMELY fortunate enough that no friends or family were harmed, and still have a house to live in. I capitalized collectors because that is what I am first and foremost. Many put a dollar value on our hobby, but I can't put a dollar value on the collection I lost. I will update this post with pics as I can upload them later on.

I received a call from my mother mid-day Wednesday and she was in tears. She mentioned that the basement was "Flooded". I know her to completely over-react and told her to take a breather to explain what "Flooded" meant. She said there was 2 inches of water down there. This whole time, I'm thinking just on the unfinished side of the basement, nope, both finished and unfinished and that there were cards floating all over the place! She was in tears because she knew of the time, effort, money, heart, and pride I put into my collection/hobby. Upon hearing this news, I immediately leave work to go home and try to save what I could of my "Man Cave". When I arrive home, I notice that the 2 inches of water is really 8 inches! I have many cards(100,000 plus) listed on sportlots. A majority of the football singles that were listed there are gone. Thousands upon thousands of comic books are gone. Thousands of IP singles from minor league baseball games, which include players like Ryan Howard, David Wright, Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, etc etc are totally soaked. My Vladimir Guerrero and Drew Bledsoe collections are completely soaked and many of those and the IP items are not replaceable. I am drying the IPs and the personal Vlad and Bledsoe collections out, but they now have zero secondary market value. These items were PC anyway, so they weren't going anywhere unless push came to shove. I guess now they just have more "character" to them with the water damage of the items Im able to somewhat save.

The dollar figure that has been lost is in the tens of thousands, but sentimental value is priceless. My hobby/collection has always been my escape from reality. We all have something we have to preoccupy our minds whether it's smoking cigarettes, working out, playing sports, working on cars, playing video games, traveling, photography, whatever it may be, we all have our escapes. While it is "just cardboard", it's 25+ years of my passion down the tubes/damaged beyond salvation. I'm not here looking for handouts or pity points, but just wanted to "vent" or share my loss with fellow Collectors.

Thanks for the read
Derek

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Re: One of my worst nightmares comes to life(flood related)

That's tough man, sorry to hear it.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Very sorry to hear man. I had no idea there was a Palmyra, PA. I am a few minutes up the road from little old Palmyra, WI which was devastated by tornado 2 years ago

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

Insurance?

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina

Derek2011 said:
blanning71 said:
I can totally sympathize what you're going thru. Thanks Irene.

Signed,
Me

How'd you weather the storm? No pun intended.

I haven't written about the storm because its still hard to swallow. I saw things that I have never seen before. The destruction here is just unbelievable. Whole neighborhoods are gone. Even the debris is nowhere to be found. Just outlines in the dirt where houses once were. I worked from 7AM Friday before the storm right on thru the following Friday with about 4 hours of sleep total. I just didn't stop. I have been going ever since with very little rest just trying to help everyone. I lost pretty much all of my good stuff from the storm as I had it stored in a storage building that no longer exists. But afterall, I still have my life and thats what matters. It just took the wind out of my sails for collecting. Just brutal to take in.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

Op
Sorry for your lose.

blanning71 said:

Signed,
Me
Brian is this the name of your ex-wife. I remember the hurricane she caused.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina

Rich sadly no. This all came from the storm this time. I had my stuff stored in a storage building as we weren't sure what the water and storm surge was going to do. The winds and a tornado ripped the building and the house to shreds. I pretty much lost everything. People may say it was a measly storm as far as wind speeds go but I can tell you from working the front lines, we had sustained winds of 100 MPH and gusts to 120. 11 feet of water in many places which was much higher than the media will let on to tell you. It is what it is. Atleast I have a place to go home to, albeit a damaged home.

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA

Jaypers said:
Insurance?

Needed "sewer and drain" coverage. And for card collection, need a complete list with "value". I looked into a few years back, and they basically make it impossible to get.

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA

blanning71 said:
Derek2011 said:
blanning71 said:

Signed,
Me

How'd you weather the storm? No pun intended.

I haven't written about the storm because its still hard to swallow. I saw things that I have never seen before. The destruction here is just unbelievable. Whole neighborhoods are gone. Even the debris is nowhere to be found. Just outlines in the dirt where houses once were. I worked from 7AM Friday before the storm right on thru the following Friday with about 4 hours of sleep total. I just didn't stop. I have been going ever since with very little rest just trying to help everyone. I lost pretty much all of my good stuff from the storm as I had it stored in a storage building that no longer exists. But afterall, I still have my life and thats what matters. It just took the wind out of my sails for collecting. Just brutal to take in.

Couldn't have said it any better. I've told some to just take a stack and dump it as I don't want to see what is being trashed.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

Ah man sorry to hear about the damage, that must have been really tough. I could only imagine how it must have felt.

Sorry to hear about that.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008

blanning71 said:
Rich sadly no. This all came from the storm this time. I had my stuff stored in a storage building as we weren't sure what the water and storm surge was going to do. The winds and a tornado ripped the building and the house to shreds. I pretty much lost everything. People may say it was a measly storm as far as wind speeds go but I can tell you from working the front lines, we had sustained winds of 100 MPH and gusts to 120. 11 feet of water in many places which was much higher than the media will let on to tell you. It is what it is. Atleast I have a place to go home to, albeit a damaged home.

i can confirm the fact that it was no normal storm. i spent the entire week after it hit ENC working in that area getting mobile phone service restored. the damage was something that i last saw when i was in NO after Katrina and LA follwing Rita.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008

Derek my man sorry to hear about your losses. I had a collection stolen from me once and another one destroyed as a younger guy. I know the sting and hurt. Sure there are bigger concerns but it still sucks. Sorry man keep collecting and in time youll have another meaningful collection.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

Who do you collect? If I have anything I will glady send it your way to get you back started :D

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota

Sorry to hear that. My biggest fear (as far as my collection) is getting caught up in a flood (which won't happen) or losing my collection in a tornado. We had one graze the side of our town this past summer. I was sure that something nasty would hit our house so after I got the pets in the basement I grabbed what I could of my collection. Thankfully nothing happened that was too serious.

If I have anyone you collect, I would be happy to send something your way.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

Really, really sorry to hear that. Had a fire and some of my HOF collection was burned, along with a couple 1/1s. I rebuilt most of the HOF collection with just a couple still missing but man losing those 1/1s and irreplaceables really took the wind out of my sails. I can totally understand where you're coming from it's really tough.

Members online