Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Manny Ramirez arrested on a domestic dispute

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
The saga continues

Former World Series MVP Manny Ramirez arrested
AP - Mon Sep 12, 11:49 PM EDT

WESTON, Fla. (AP) -- Former World Series MVP Manny Ramirez (notes) was arrested and charged with battery Monday after a domestic dispute at his South Florida home, police said.

Ramirez, 39, and his wife were arguing in their bedroom when he slapped her face, causing her to hit her head on their bed's headboard, according to a police report. She told the deputy she was afraid the situation would escalate and called police.

Ramirez denied hitting his wife, according to the report, telling a deputy "he grabbed his wife by the shoulders and when he shrugged her, she hit her head."

Ramirez's wife, Juliana, had red swelling on her face and a small bruise on the back of her head, the police report said. She did not want medical treatment.

Ramirez retired in April from the Tampa Bay Rays after he tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance. Rather than face a 100-game suspension for a second violation of Major League Baseball's drug policy, the 12-time All-Star left the game.

Ramirez previously served a 50-game ban in 2009 with the Los Angeles Dodgers . Second-time offenders get double that penalty.

One of the games great sluggers, Ramirez was named MVP of the World Series in 2004 and helped Boston end an 86-year title drought.

He was selected 13th overall by the Cleveland Indians in the 1991 amateur draft and rose quickly through the minor leagues with a youthful exuberance and natural charisma.

He broke into the majors in 1993 and played his first full season the following year, when he finished second to the Royals' Bob Hamlin in voting for Rookie of the Year. Ramirez went on to establish himself as one of the game's most feared hitters, adopting a dreadlock hairdo that seemed to mirror his happy-go-lucky demeanor.

He signed with the Red Sox as a free agent in December 2000, helping the long-suffering franchise win the World Series a few years later, then doing it again in 2007.

The Red Sox traded him to the Dodgers in July 2008. He instantly became a fan favorite on the West Coast, with "Mannywood" signs popping up around town, as he led Los Angeles to the NL West title and a sweep of the Chicago Cubs in the playoffs. The clutch performances earned Ramirez a $45 million, two-year contract.

All that good will fizzled the following May, when Ramirez tested positive for human chorionic gonadotropin, a banned female fertility drug often used to help mask steroid use.

The Rays had hoped Ramirez could add some pop to a lineup that lost several key pieces off last year's AL East champions, but he played in only five games for the Rays, with one hit in 17 at-bats.

Ramirez was a .312 career hitter with 13 seasons of 100-plus RBIs and 555 home runs, 14th on the all-time list.

It wasn't immediately clear if he had an attorney. Jail records did not list one for him. A woman who answered the phone at a home listing for Ramirez said it was the wrong number and hung up.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
The worst diplomat for baseball.....EVER!

He should feel like a thief for what his over-rated azz got for that many years.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Don't convict Manny yet.
He's denied using performance enhanching drugs too and... oh wait. ::facepalm::
Manny's going to the Slammy.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Wow! This is the most unbelievable news I have ever heard. :eek: Manny Ramirez is a piece of crap?? I never would have believed that.

Seriously, has there ever been anybody in baseball that you would love to see get mauled by a Grizzly bear more than this human colostomy bag? This guy should be airbrushed from the minds of baseball fans forever.

Now the only question is how long before someone on this board actually defends him or points out that others have done worse?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
He's not a role model so I don't really care. Actually I'd rather not know about what happens in a player's personal life, its personal.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
So wait the guy who cheated to win has questionable morals?

Nooooooooooooo

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
uniquebaseballcards said:
He's not a role model so I don't really care. Actually I'd rather not know about what happens in a player's personal life, its personal.

I think breaking the law and hitting women constitutes a bit more than simply a player/ex-player's "personal life". This is the stuff that people SHOULD care about.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
sportscardtheory said:

I think breaking the law and hitting women constitutes a bit more than simply a player/ex-player's "personal life". This is the stuff that people SHOULD care about.

This is a he-said she-said, there's not enough information to pass judgment here.

People need to worry about their own lives before worrying about someone else's alleged issues.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
sportscardtheory said:

This is a he-said she-said, there's not enough information to pass judgment here.

People need to worry about their own lives before worrying about someone else's.

I'm not worried about it. But it did happen.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN

images

Btw, we don't care that you don't care.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
sportscardtheory said:
I'm not worried about it. But it did happen.

I understand, but that's just it, what exactly happened?

Apparently he got his first hit in a long time.

In all seriousness anyone who feels the need to hit a women is a wuss and needs to be hit back.