Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Walk down memory lane...what cards were once red hot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I was thinking of some older cards that were once red-hot, and have slipped off the radar from one reason or another.

The obvious one's like the 1985 Topps McGwire have been brought up in posts many times, but there were other lesser known cards that were super hot at one point in time:

A couple:

2001 Donruss Signature Roy Oswalt Auto /25 I remember when this was his only RC card, and was an absolute beast of a card.
2001 Donruss Elite Victor Martinez Think that one of these once sold for as high as $400 and they were "the card to have" for a while.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
What started it all......Ron Kittle and Joe Charbaneau (mispelled) RC's....then it was Mattingly/Boggs RC's and '84 Donruss Baseball set.....I can go on and on...

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Here is a trip down memory lane....

It's was, I believe the 89' WS and Dave Henderson was on a tear! Back then, cards were still worth something (read: base cards), and I remembered my local shop having a 50ct lot of 84' Donruss Dave Henderson cards(among many others). I bought them for like five dollars for the lot and sold them at the local show a week later for two dollars a piece($100 for the lot)! Ah, cards were so simple then..

But I throw a few out...

Kevin Maas
Greg Jeffries
Tom Gordon
Kevin Mitchel
Wally Joyner
Eric Davis
Glen Davis
Danny Tartable
Odeby McDowell
BJ Surhoff
Kent Herbek
Ron Kittle
Andy Vanslyke
Aaron Seele
Steve Avery

All of these at one time or another were the cream of the crop, demanding cash!!

lvdan

Aug 25, 2008
2001 Topps Chrome Traded Joel Guzman Retrofractor
2002 Donruss Elite Alexis Rios

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Many "rare" inserts from the 90s, some of which are not so rare now (a few 95 Leaf inserts, for example).

I still have a Beckett from 1995 (Mickey Mantle commemoration cover) and I was amazed at a few of the prices from those sets.

richezOne

Aug 11, 2008
BAY AREA, CA
another one for me was any Wil Clark RC's... Those were crazy and almost impossible to land one back in the late 80's here in the Bay Area.. I remember if you had one You were the king of collecting cards.

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
still love this card
Jackson1990ScoreBlackandWhite.jpg

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
1992? (I think) Barry Foster cards (NFL, Steelers). I remember he held out for no reason, saying he was going to be a star if they just paid him. They did, and he kept his end of the deal...for 1 season...

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
the mcgwire one i recall. i remember trying to buy one on ebay, and awful copies were getting $100+

and when jersey cards first came out, man were those hot! it was actually hard to pull one, making it that much sweeter when it happened

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Does anyone remember how awful 1988 Topps was with all of it's errors? They had some HUGE cards back in the day. The rarest of them was a guy by the name of KEITH COMSTOCK. Funny name yes!!! Since 1988 Topps produced such awesome cards the Keith Comstock was the king of them all, and to this day, and to my surprise, it still books. The future HOFer Tom Glavine RC now tops the '88 Topps set barely topping the Comstock error by a huge 50 CENTS. Dig through your common boxes and see if you have the beauty. I was never lucky enough to pull one.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Topnotchsy said:
I was thinking of some older cards that were once red-hot, and have slipped off the radar from one reason or another.

The obvious one's like the 1985 Topps McGwire have been brought up in posts many times, but there were other lesser known cards that were super hot at one point in time:

A couple:

2001 Donruss Signature Roy Oswalt Auto /25 I remember when this was his only RC card, and was an absolute beast of a card.
2001 Donruss Elite Victor Martinez Think that one of these once sold for as high as $400 and they were "the card to have" for a while.
Really? He has, off the top of my head, 12 autos in 2001. Plus he has true RCs in 2000. When I started collecting him in 2003 his SPX was about a $30 card. One of the rare cases where a RC had its peak five-six years after a player had been in the league. The 2001 Donruss /25 is a tough card though. I remember I had to trade some nice cards to get one. Since I don't remember, how high were his cards in 2001/2002? Was the Donruss really the highest? Or was the 2000 BC refractor high? Or was he as underrated then as he is now?

Members online

Latest posts