Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The single packing peanut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
In a bubble mailer with a secured item inside, what purpose does the single packing peanut serve? The best I can come up with is that it keeps the card company during the long and arduous journey with the Netflix Delivery Service. Does the inclusion of the single packing peanut really ensure the item's fate for a safe arrival?

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
It is used to make the package the required thickness for Delivery Confirmation.

As I understand it, the package has to be one-quarter inch thick to use DC.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
JackLondon said:
It is used to make the package the required thickness for Delivery Confirmation.

Your reason is correct. It's 3/4" minimum however.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
carlitoson said:
JackLondon said:

Now you sound like my wife. :p

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
JackLondon said:
Now you sound like my wife. :p
I'm always having to correct you. I'm sick of it! ;)

To the OP- to answer your question...yes, in a way it IS needed for safe delivery of the item.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Not only is it required that the package be 3/4" thick for delivery confirmation, if the packing peanut isn't included and the post office decides to check on the thickness, they will charge the addressee upon delivery for an upgrade to priority mail which would be a few dollars.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
JVC said:
Not only is it required that the package be 3/4" thick for delivery confirmation, if the packing peanut isn't included and the post office decides to check on the thickness, they will charge the addressee upon delivery for an upgrade to priority mail which would be a few dollars.
Your correct on this. And a side note, I have family members that work at the distribution centers around here and they tell me that
the bubble mailers go in the same bags as the priority mail items, so this is why some times things make it to the final destination over-night and are delivered mostly in 3 days from shipping.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
Here are the requirements for using DC on domestic mail from the USPS domestic mail manual.

Note that in order to use DC an item must be a first class parcel or sent priority mail. DC is not available for first class flats or letters.

Note that items b & c require that the item be either 3/4" or be rigid (like a box). I think that many of the items that they try to move from FC to priority qualify as a parcel under item 3. My experince with this is that it is easier just to make the bubble mailer thick enough to avoid problems.

10.2.2 Eligible Matter
[4-17-11] Delivery Confirmation is available for First-Class Mail parcels; all Priority Mail pieces (including Critical Mail); Standard Mail prepared as Not Flat-Machinable pieces or as machinable or irregular parcels (electronic option only); Package Services, Parcel Select, and Parcel Select Regional Ground parcels (electronic option only) under 401.1.0. For the purposes of using Delivery Confirmation with a Package Services or Parcel Select parcel, the parcel must meet these additional requirements:

a. The surface area of the address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain completely and legibly the delivery address, return address, postage, and any applicable markings, endorsements, and extra service labels.

b. Except as provided in 10.2.2c, the parcel must be greater than 3/4 inch thick at its thickest point.

c. If the mailpiece is a parcel under 401.1.0 and no greater than 3/4 inch thick, the contents must be prepared in a strong and rigid fiberboard or similar container or in a container that becomes rigid after the contents are enclosed and the container is secured. The parcel must be able to maintain its shape, integrity, and rigidity throughout processing and handling without collapsing into a letter-size or flat-size piece

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
justinmandawg said:
CollectorsCorner said:
carlitoson said:
JackLondon said:

Not true

Informative response.

Well this argument comes up every couple of weeks. No need to explain it every time someone is misinformed. Sports cards in top loaders or any case is considered semi rigid which makes it non machinable which allows DC with no thickness requirement.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
CollectorsCorner said:
justinmandawg said:
CollectorsCorner said:
carlitoson said:
JackLondon said:

Not true

Informative response.

Well this argument comes up every couple of weeks. No need to explain it every time someone is misinformed. Sports cards in top loaders or any case is considered semi rigid which makes it non machinable which allows DC with no thickness requirement.

I agree with you totally - but there are many POs that will charge a postage due in spite of that. It is easier if you have a non-machinable stamp on both sides.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
CollectorsCorner said:
justinmandawg said:
CollectorsCorner said:
carlitoson said:
JackLondon said:

Not true

Informative response.

I'm not sure it's people misinformed.....or the PO's. I've had two separate Post Office's tell me this is not the case and would not send a card in this manner (I needed to have the thickness requirement).

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
rymflaherty said:
CollectorsCorner said:
justinmandawg said:
CollectorsCorner said:
carlitoson said:
[quote="JackLondon":2yn2r339]It is used to make the package the required thickness for Delivery Confirmation.

Not true

Informative response.

I'm not sure it's people misinformed.....or the PO's. I've had two separate Post Office's tell me this is not the case and would not send a card in this manner (I needed to have the thickness requirement).[/quote:2yn2r339]

Well the PO's being misinformed leads to members here being misinformed. But I agree. I have sent out over 800 packages this year, I had one sent back with postage due. I brought it into my post office and they had no idea why it had the postage due and resent it free of charge.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
CollectorsCorner said:
rymflaherty said:
CollectorsCorner said:
justinmandawg said:
CollectorsCorner said:
[quote="carlitoson":1y472rqg][quote="JackLondon":1y472rqg]It is used to make the package the required thickness for Delivery Confirmation.

Not true

Informative response.

I'm not sure it's people misinformed.....or the PO's. I've had two separate Post Office's tell me this is not the case and would not send a card in this manner (I needed to have the thickness requirement).[/quote:1y472rqg]

Well the PO's being misinformed leads to members here being misinformed. But I agree. I have sent out over 800 packages this year, I had one sent back with postage due. I brought it into my post office and they had no idea why it had the postage due and resent it free of charge.[/quote:1y472rqg]
Not true :D :lol:

chiefer77

Mar 10, 2010
Ogdensburg, New York
I guess I'm lucky because the dude at my PO never bothers checking any of that nonsense. He just puts the DC's on there if I want them regardless of how thick or rigid. He's good like that.

chiefer77 said:
I guess I'm lucky because the dude at my PO never bothers checking any of that nonsense. He just puts the DC's on there if I want them regardless of how thick or rigid. He's good like that.

Thats great but you have to hope the clerks at the other end are just as nice. Ive seen some PO's on here (there are a few members that had it happen to them) that they have received mailers with postage due.....

Members online