Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could next year be the year where NO Hall of Famers elected?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Could be....

2012:
Edgardo Alfonzo, Pedro Astacio, David Bell, Jeromy Burnitz, Vinny Castilla, Scott Erickson, Carl Everett, Jeff Fassero, Alex S. Gonzalez, Danny Graves, Rick Helling, Dustin Hermanson, Jose Hernandez, Brian Jordan, Matt Lawton, Javy Lopez, Bill Mueller, Terry Mulholland, Jeff Nelson, Phil Nevin, Brad Radke, Joe Randa, Tim Salmon, Ruben Sierra, Jose Vizcaino, Bernie Williams, Eric Young

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Do you mean for first timers?

I see Barry Larkin or Jeff Bagwell or both getting in next year.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The only name from that list that stands a chance is Bernie.

People will get in, but they'll be guys like Larkin

Why is Jim Bibby not on the ballot?

When I was a kid, me and my buddy would always laugh when we would see this card.

Reminds me of the dude in the Chapelle skit with the holla, holla, holla, let me holla at ya, holla holla holla holla holla.

bibby.jpg

[youtube:3710e8aa]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5YyvW1Kk7Q[/youtube:3710e8aa]

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
They would rather put in average players than not put anyone in. They have already proved that.

Kevin

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Larkin gets in next year.

2013 is where the rubber meets the road.

Bonds
Clemens
Sosa

As well as
Schilling
Biggio
Piazza

Piazza might be the only first timer elected in 2013, if the writers want to make a statement about their perception of steroids.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Larkin will get in. I have a feeling Morris will get in as well though I dont think he is a hall of famer.

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
leatherman said:
Piazza might be the only first timer elected in 2013, if the writers want to make a statement about their perception of steroids.

if the writers want to do that then Piazza doesn't stand a chance. His name has been linked to steroids as much as most other players from that time.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think they've already made that statement with McGwire et al. The next phase is the 'everyone was doing it/forgiveness' ballot.

There has been at least one year where no one was elected by the straight-up writers ballot. Jim Bunning got in via Vet Committee in 1996, along with mgr Earl Weaver, and ***** Leaguers Ned Hanlon, and William Foster.

I think Larkin and Raines are deserving, though I doubt either gets in next year. Close, but no.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
leatherman said:

Bonds
Clemens
Sosa

As well as
Schilling
Biggio
Piazza

While I am in no way a Barry Bonds or Clemens fan the truth is these guys were hall of famers way before the steroid era. They tainted their careers but I feel they will get in only after being made to wait only because of their pre-1998 stats. Guys like Sosa and McGuire will probably never get in because of the perception that their careers only took off after they started taking roids. I think McGuire was having a decent career before the roids but not a HOF type career so I feel he has not shot to get in. If Maris isnt it then McGuire should not be. As for Sosa, roids and corked bats will keep him out of the HOF.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
smapdi said:
I think they've already made that statement with McGwire et al. The next phase is the 'everyone was doing it/forgiveness' ballot.

There has been at least one year where no one was elected by the straight-up writers ballot. Jim Bunning got in via Vet Committee in 1996, along with mgr Earl Weaver, and ***** Leaguers Ned Hanlon, and William Foster.

I think Larkin and Raines are deserving, though I doubt either gets in next year. Close, but no.

Lets be honest..the Hall of Fame should be for the best of the best and letting guys like Larkin, Biggio and Raines in will only water down the group as a whole. These guys had nice careers but are they honestly Hall of Fame caliber? Can they stand up next to Gehringer, Speaker and Wahoo Sam Crawford? Or lets pick more contemporary HOF'ers like Morgan, Ripken and Yaz. I just dont see these guys being deserving....nice careers yes..Hall of Fame caliber...I just dont see it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
mchenrycards said:
While I am in no way a Barry Bonds or Clemens fan the truth is these guys were hall of famers way before the steroid era. They tainted their careers but I feel they will get in only after being made to wait only because of their pre-1998 stats. Guys like Sosa and McGuire will probably never get in because of the perception that their careers only took off after they started taking roids. I think McGuire was having a decent career before the roids but not a HOF type career so I feel he has not shot to get in. If Maris isnt it then McGuire should not be. As for Sosa, roids and corked bats will keep him out of the HOF.
mchenrycards said:
Lets be honest..the Hall of Fame should be for the best of the best and letting guys like Larkin, Biggio and Raines in will only water down the group as a whole. These guys had nice careers but are they honestly Hall of Fame caliber? Can they stand up next to Gehringer, Speaker and Wahoo Sam Crawford? Or lets pick more contemporary HOF'ers like Morgan, Ripken and Yaz. I just dont see these guys being deserving....nice careers yes..Hall of Fame caliber...I just dont see it.

I'll tie these two posts together and say Larkin should get in if his stats against right-handed pitchers are forgiven.

All kidding aside, its not right to disregard or forgive anything from a player's body of work.

I'm surprised Larkin never led his league in a statistical category ever.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
mchenrycards said:
leatherman said:

Bonds
Clemens
Sosa

As well as
Schilling
Biggio
Piazza

I completely understand your point. I think the writers will express their disdain for the era by not letting them be first ballot HOFers when they clearly would have been otherwise. It's not a huge statement, but there may be enough that feel this way to keep them from getting 75% their first year on the ballot.

To jpruitt2, I think Clemens-Bonds-Sosa (and McGwire) are the poster boys for steroids. I think the voters will want to make their statement with them, and that's the only reason I think Piazza will slide in.

Members online

Latest posts