Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question: 2009 Jesus Montero Futures Game Card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5toolplayer

Mar 12, 2011
PA
Ok guys I got a quick question and hopefully someone can help me out. I recently bought a Topps Futures game patch card of Jesus Montero. The patch is of the tag at the bottom of the jersey, almost the entire part. Card is numbered 43/139. So of course I buy it thinking it the only part of the jersey that has this tag/patch, a 1/1. Well I see another on ebay, same tag/patch, Gold Version 11/25. So I pick it up. I then start to think that maybe there are 2 or more of these patches on the futures game jerseys they used in 2009 until I find that they are for sale on MLB.com. The jersey arrived today and there is only ONE patch on the bottom left corner of the jersey that this could be from. SO my question is. How can Topps say this is a piece of the game worn jersey by Montero if there are MORE then one???? This makes zero sense to me. Its like getting the MLB batter logo located on the back of the jersey from a game worn jersey only to find the same patch on another card. Any insight would help a ton before I call topps and start bitching. Thanks
IMG_3416.jpg
IMG_3415.jpg

5toolplayer

Mar 12, 2011
PA
He only played a few innings so I wouldn't think they would wear more then one. Thanks for the reply though

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
I agree with Tom. There is no reason to assume he wore only one, regardless if he sat on the pine most of the time. The terms "game-used", and "game-worn" are so convoluted in that part of the hobby he could have possibly "worn" up to five.

Nhat.MTL

Nov 29, 2010
When I got back into the hobby last year, this was one of the things that really turned me off from game-used stuff. Here's an excerpt from an article that could explain it. Found a valid link to the full article: http://web.archive.org/web/200902091848 ... 79655.html

=====
From ESPN.com
Nothing memorable about this special "event"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Darren Rovell

LOS ANGELES -- Behind the end zone at the Los Angeles Coliseum, Terrell
Suggs stands in front of a table stacked with Baltimore Ravens jerseys. One
by one, he slips them over his head and shoulder pads, then quickly back off
again as if on a quest to find one that fits.

Terrell Suggs' Upper Deck rookie card may include a swatch of clothing from
either a Ray Lewis or Peter Boulware jersey.
The NFL hasn't played a game here since the Raiders left town for Oakland
back in 1995 and, as evidenced by the names and numbers on the uniforms,
Suggs will never wear any of these jerseys in an actual game anyway.
"They're not going to really sell the numbers," said Suggs, who had slipped
off Ray Lewis' No. 52 jersey and on Peter Boulware's No. 58, "they're just
going to sell a piece of the clothing."

As he reaches behind his head to remove yet another jersey, an attendant
stands ready to place it in a pile with others that soon will be shipped
back to Carlsbad, Calif., home of trading card giant Upper Deck. There each
jersey will be cut into 1,000 swatches and inserted into trading cards that
will become part of this year's NFL rookie card collections.

"Event worn" is the tout that has made these special trading cards so
popular and has helped to bolster a once-sagging NFL card market that is
expected to hit $84 million this year. But as Suggs and 29 other recent
draftees proved in May, the "event" is the NFL's Players Rookie Premiere --
an occasion for which players are paid to pose for pictures taken by trading
card companies -- and the jerseys often aren't "worn" for very long.

Nothing wrong with that, said Doug Allen, assistant executive director of
the NFL Players Association, which oversees the event.

"There is absolutely no intent to fool anyone," he said. "We've gone over
the procedure with the card companies and we're very comfortable. Whether a
player wears a jersey for a few minutes or 20 minutes, what difference does
it make as long as it's worn at the event?"

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Are you the smae member that had the 2010 Platinum Superfractor in your signature?

If not, there are three of these out there.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
If you call Topps, Good luck. I had problems with them about jock tags from 2005. They couldn't care less. Didn't have any info or anything. They will say 1 is fake. Are you positive both are real?

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
BP jersey, PFPJersey, Bullpen Jersey, Fanfest Jersey, splooge rag jersey for Postgame action, etc.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
My gut tells me that this tag was originally in someone else's card, and someone replaced a Montero regular jersey with the tag piece.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I know that after photos onb HRD day they took those jerseys and hats in the middle of the outfield and changed them out. The guy was stickering them as they went and handing out new jerseys and hats. So after BP that day they probably took those also. Then after the game. I don't know if the procedure was the same on All Star Sunday but I would imagine it was. So more than likely there are 3 of them out there.

A_Pharis

Yeah, they had jerseys for each event during the week. Not just one during the game.

Also, the NFL (and probably MLB for non-vintage players) "event" process by card companies (especially UD) is a joke. Mark Ingram had his buddy take a pic of him that he later tweeted. He was in a jersey that was HUUUGGGEEEE on him. Like.. down past his knees and hanging off of his shoulders. He was standing right by the UD rep table, too. It was just before he put on his jersey for the photo shoot. This oversized jersey is what was cut up for this year's product. I've heard tell that some of these jerseys even have multiple number patches/nfl logos/team logos/etc just to say they are all "Event Worn".

I'm not saying vintage swatches have a better chance, but at least we know that UD didn't have a guy there by Mel Ott telling him to wear 30 different jerseys for 3 seconds each.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
They do switch jerseys around half-way through the game. I am willing to bet that either one or both of the cards are fakes, either taken from other cards, or cut from a similar jersey. I do suppose that it is possible that because Montero is a super-prospect, he wore 3 or more jerseys during the game.

I cannot tell you how I learned it, a respected member posted it once and I don't remember who, or where it was.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
tweets.jpg

markingram2.jpg

markingram.jpg

A_Pharis said:
Yeah, they had jerseys for each event during the week. Not just one during the game.

Also, the NFL (and probably MLB for non-vintage players) "event" process by card companies (especially UD) is a joke. Mark Ingram had his buddy take a pic of him that he later tweeted. He was in a jersey that was HUUUGGGEEEE on him. Like.. down past his knees and hanging off of his shoulders. He was standing right by the UD rep table, too. It was just before he put on his jersey for the photo shoot. This oversized jersey is what was cut up for this year's product. I've heard tell that some of these jerseys even have multiple number patches/nfl logos/team logos/etc just to say they are all "Event Worn".

I'm not saying vintage swatches have a better chance, but at least we know that UD didn't have a guy there by Mel Ott telling him to wear 30 different jerseys for 3 seconds each.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Event-used cards are mostly a joke to me. I see the value from a player collection standpoint, but from a patch collector's standpoint I'd rather have the second-year card that contains the game-used jersey from their rookie year.

I have no idea if either of your patches are real or fake, but I can tell you that the gold one was sold by watchmanfan on 11/22/10. Here is an album of cards sold by watchmanfan. I think he sells fakes, but that's just my opinion. The original scan from the auction is below along with 5 other cards that watchmanfan has sold from that same set.

2010-11-22JesusMontero.jpg

2011-02-10JoshVitters.jpg

2010-10-27ChrisTillman.jpg

2010-12-29LeysonSeptimo.jpg

2011-01-09MikeStanton.jpg

2011-01-24KyeongKang.jpg

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
Its been no secret that football has been doing this for years with the rookie photo shoots. It's things like that that made me stop with football in 2005.
These Futures cards have always been with one jersey though, he gamer. Topps has a contract to take the gamer. Players do have another jersey, but the Futures guys aren't the ones prancing around for 3 days of the all star event in different jerseys, that's the MLB guys.

I haven't seen any other players from the set have 2 identical pieces like that, not legit anyway.
It's Jesus Montero, arguably the best guy in the set. A guy like Donnie Jones, Yohan Flan, Kyeong Kang or Juan Peron had the same card with the same swatch... but who would sell better? Switch it out with a Montero and boom, $$. Given that the seller has been alleged to be a faker also, I'm going to have to say it's not legit.

Topps does have some fault here though, they labeled all the other stuff patches or flags cool base tags, and made books, and numbered them low... but the tags and majestic logos go in with the regular jerseys? Weird anyway. I'm not saying all the tags are fake, most, and likely the /99 one, are real, just not marked accordingly.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
A_Pharis said:
And LOL @ all 17 on AT THE SAME TIME. Meaning 16 of them had little to no contact with anything other than his hands.

What's really sad is that they have to get bigger each time... they probably started at like S and worked their way up to 8x. They get even more swatches that way too.

Donruss/Panini is known for this... they put out "event" used and have like 40 products, each with tons of variations and parallels...

Quite sad.

Members online

No members online now.