Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is why u prospect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Back in 2009, a customer bought 4 U.S.A. sets from me and got a harper green au /2

He offered to give me the card instead of t
he $320 for the sets.

Took me a while (i don't prospect like that) but I took it.
Wound up selling it a week later for like $650 and was happy, Made almost double.

That same card just sold for $3500 so whoever bought it scored big.

But in reality, theres no way I would have held on to it longer than a month or so any way.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
HPC said:
cool story bro
cool_starry_bra.jpg

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
There are a bunch of opposite stories titled "This is why you don't prospect" where the guy bought the auto of the future star for $3500 and then sold it a couple years later for $650...

Cancellierecards

Sep 9, 2011
Il
I prospect it's risky but has a good reward. What I've learned is sell while it's hot mpand you've made a few $$. Never wait. Nobody stays hot forever except for 01 Pujols chrome autos

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
RL24 said:
There are a bunch of opposite stories titled "This is why you don't prospect" where the guy bought the auto of the future star for $3500 and then sold it a couple years later for $650...

I agree 100%. I personally don't prospect, but have no issues with those that do. With that said, sadly many who prospect only tell the stories of how they made a killing on player X and never tell the story of how they lost their a$$ on player Y.

It is a gamble any way you look at it. Educated gamble, but still a gamble.

Congrats to the OP on the quick flip however. Even if it makes you wish you had kept it. ;)

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
RL24 said:

Those threads should be titled:

"This is why you don't prospect if you don't know what you're doing"

I say this because most prospectors that have a clue wouldn't get stuck in that situation. Nothing is ever guaranteed, but you have to have some common sense to succeed at prospecting. Paying 3500 for one card is 3500 that could most likely be invested in much safer and more lucrative places.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
ballerskrip said:
And collectors wonder why there are people prospecting.....

I'm a collector, but I get prospecting. I just don't have the patience and desire to put for the effort it takes :p .

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
BBCgalaxee said:
Back in 2009, a customer bought 4 U.S.A. sets from me and got a harper green au /2

he $320 for the sets.

Wound up selling it a week later for like $650 and was happy, Made almost double.

But in reality, theres no way I would have held on to it longer than a month or so any way.

Almost Double, eh?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
aaron41984 said:
BBCgalaxee said:

he $320 for the sets.

But in reality, theres no way I would have held on to it longer than a month or so any

Almost Double, eh?
Fees

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I remember walking into a card shop in Sept 2006 I regularly visited for like 6 months before I moved...card shop owner was terribly pissy. I finally asked him what was wrong.

He said he sold his Ryan Howard Bowman's Best autos (three of them) for $175 a piece a week ago. I had walked in the day after he hit three home runs in a game - his 50, 51, and 52nd home runs. He showed me a completed auction to where his auto was like over $600....meaning he could've had about $1300 more.

Now they get less than what he originally sold them for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryan-Howard-200 ... 500wt_1202

I have no idea what the moral of my story is. This thread just reminded me of it.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
BBCgalaxee said:
aaron41984 said:
BBCgalaxee said:

he $320 for the sets.

But in reality, theres no way I would have held on to it longer than a month or so any

Almost Double, eh?
Fees

lawyered.jpg

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Mudcatsfan said:
BBCgalaxee said:
aaron41984 said:
BBCgalaxee said:

he $320 for the sets.

Almost Double, eh?
Fees

lawyered.jpg

Members online