Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adam Dunn: .161 avg. & 161 Ks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Adam Dunn got a rare start Friday, and to honor the moment, he delivered a baseball oddity.

With a strikeout in the second inning and a foul out in the fourth, Dunn's strikeout total of 161 matched his batting average of .161.

Dunn remained at .161 after an 0-for-4 night.

"It's a very tough season. He knows that. We all know that," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I think it's very desperate and sad to see a guy go through what he's been through but there is nothing you can do about it. You have to erase that and take every at-bat you have left and get the best at-bat you can and see what happens and get ready for next year."

Only once in baseball history has a hitter (non-pitcher) with more than 35 plate appearances had a strikeout total that was higher than his batting average.

That came last season, when Mark Reynolds, then of the Arizona Diamondbacks, did it with 211 strikeouts and a .198 batting average.

Dunn's strikeout-batting average collision course seemed destined to happen in August, but he was benched after the arrival of Dayan Viciedo.

Friday was the third time Dunn has been in the lineup since Aug. 28.

With just one hit in his past 24 at-bats, Dunn simply has been unable to stop his slide toward becoming an obscure footnote.

Other players have been relatively close to the mark, according to baseballreference.com, including Dunn in 2006, when he had 194 strikeouts and a .234 batting average.

There have been 10 players whose strikeout total was 80 percent of batting average points. Dunn is on that list twice, including this season, Reynolds is on it four times, Rob Deer twice and once each for Carlos Pena and Jack Cust.

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
And people were getting on Drew Stubbs' case...

He should volunteer to donate his salary back to the Sox.

EDIT: I just noticed he has a higher OBP than SLG. He is also 0-1 tonight and at .160.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
matchpenalty said:
where are all the White Sox geniuses saying what a great signing Dunn was now

At the time it was a great signing. To be a left handed power hitter in a hitter friendly US Cellular field is a players dream.
No one expected this to happen and if you said he was going to suck this bad when they signed him then you are lying.
It has been an awful season being a sox fan.

jeff152380

Feb 23, 2010
Vermont
I am a whitesox fan and never liked it from the start... I thought we should of signed Adrian Beltre.... I can only hope dunn figures it out next year....

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
gogosox40 said:
matchpenalty said:
where are all the White Sox geniuses saying what a great signing Dunn was now

At the time it was a great signing. To be a left handed power hitter in a hitter friendly US Cellular field is a players dream.
No one expected this to happen and if you said he was going to suck this bad when they signed him then you are lying.
It has been an awful season being a sox fan.

Find the original FCB thread where Sox signed Dunn. Man it was funny reading all the Giddy Sox fans posts about it. I think even a few thought he was gonna set home run records... I said he would suck and was glad Sox signed him in that thread. As a Twins fan I wanted no part of him when he was FA. But we got or own stiffs stealing money in Mauer and Morneau. I was happy when the Big Donkey got paid by the Sox. Even if he was average, still a brutal signing dollar wise for a one trick poney. Who lost his trick when he got signed long term. DH guys, even good ones don't get that kind of $ the White Sox handed Dunn and you give them one year deals like Vlad.

jgro85

Mar 15, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wish everyone was results oriented. Man the people who built the levies in Louisiana were retards!

You guys really think "taking a chance" on a guy with an almost career .900 OPS was a bad idea? You would make awesome GM's. Every hear of a thing called an anomaly?

I also like how people bring up AVG and K's like they matter as much as his .300 decline in OPS and .80 point drop in OBP.

lawhs89

Apr 3, 2011
Royals have gained seven games on the White Sox in a week. Only seven behind, the the Royals are playing hard, while the Sox and Twins have mailed it in. Royals have hope, just need to add some starting pitchers. And attendance has been going up. They got 31K today.

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
I'll admit I wanted him on the A's before the season began. As bad as he's been, I can't say he's much worse than what the A's have produced at 1B this season. The main guy, Daric Barton had a total of zero HRs and a .592 OPS through July when he was thankfully demoted.

noaskiecards

Sep 19, 2008
For the past 7 years, he has had a minimum of 38 HR, 92 RBI, and an .855 OPS.....

Even in a bad year nobody could predict 11 HR and a .572...usually a guys career doesn't fall apart at 31 years old

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
jgro85 said:
I wish everyone was results oriented. Man the people who built the levies in Louisiana were retards!

You guys really think "taking a chance" on a guy with an almost career .900 OPS was a bad idea? You would make awesome GM's. Every hear of a thing called an anomaly?
I also like how people bring up AVG and K's like they matter as much as his .300 decline in OPS and .80 point drop in OBP.

+1 You have been thanked. He has a great track record this year was just a fluke. No one could have predicted he would play this terrible after being one of the most productive players in baseball the past 7 years.

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
i honestly thought he was going to be putting up better numbers then years past because he was gonig to be playing in hitter friendly chicago. how many fantasy owners choosed him in the first two rounds and are stuck with him now?

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
It sucks for Sox fans because you have Rios too :lol:

I saw he was back to his bat snapping antics the other night. :|

Members online

Latest posts