Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who Wants To Hear The Main Reason I Collect Randy Johnson?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
I think I told this story once on the topps boards, so if your from there, you mightve already heard this.

So one day, when I was about 10... I went to a Yankee game.

I had just gotten back from Disney. This was the year of hurricane katrina. Im 15 now, so if you remember what year hurricane katrina was, do the math and youll know what year this was.

So I go to the game, and not really expecting any good autos (yes I was into autos when I was 9 or 10) I only brought my golden mickey ears that I had just bought in florida two nights before.

I go to where people sign, and Randy Johnson comes over... one of my FAVORITE players (Arod was my other favorite) so I get really excited, and try to fight my way to the front.

He signs for a few people and moves on to another section. I go under the bars (since I was so little I could fit under them, lucky me!) So Im stuck behind another group of people, nontheless I try to get his autograph... unsuccessful. He moves onto another section.

I got under some more bars, to a section where only people with seats there could be. Theres only a few people, so Im right upfront this time.

RANDY JOHNSON takes my personally signed gold mickey ears, WEARS THEM, and signs them! I think he mightve signed for a few people while wearing them.

My mom even got a picture of him wearing them! :D

scan0008-1-1.jpg

Heres a clearer picture, and a picture of me holding the mickey ears,

scan0008.jpg

I feel bad for what I did, going under the bars and everything. But I REALLY wanted his autograph :D

By the way, WoundedDuck is making me a couple custom sketch cards from those pictures, for a trade! :D Will post scans when I get them.

Thanks for reading! :D

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
PujolsCollector said:
THrow those on the bay as Game Used trust me some Johnson collector will jump on them.

Lol seeing how IM a johnson collector, Id like to keep them :D

Plus the auto looks very sloppy, seeing how it was on a curved surface.

Im going to get it authenticated though.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Dice-K Collector said:
PujolsCollector said:
THrow those on the bay as Game Used trust me some Johnson collector will jump on them.

I wouldn't get it authenticated. You know it's real and that's all that matters.

Kinda a unique piece though. It's awesome he signed them, but it was really cool he wore them lol. I am going to try that :lol:

What was your username on Topps?

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
Dice-K Collector said:
PujolsCollector said:

I wouldn't get it authenticated. You know it's real and that's all that matters.

Kinda a unique piece though.

techboy42004

And, yeah I guess, but why not get it authenticated?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Dice-K Collector said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":1y4nrngd]
PujolsCollector said:

techboy42004

And, yeah I guess, but why not get it authenticated?[/quote:1y4nrngd]

2 reasons.

Waste of money (put it into a card or something nice)

It will most likely come back fake. I am not saying it is a fake, but being that it looks messed up from being on an odd surface, they may not pass it.

Reason I asked your username is because I spent a ton of time over there.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
Dice-K Collector said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":1qdfknor]
PujolsCollector said:

techboy42004

2 reasons.

It will most likely come back fake. I am not saying it is a fake, but being that it looks messed up from being on an odd surface, they may not pass it.

Reason I asked your username is because I spent a ton of time over there.[/quote:1qdfknor]

Lol yeah that was my worry, itll come back as fake... but I have a photo of him wearing it! :D

And were you the one who collected Robert Mechaem?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Dice-K Collector said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":37mb928f]
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":37mb928f]
PujolsCollector said:

techboy42004

2 reasons.

Reason I asked your username is because I spent a ton of time over there.[/quote:37mb928f]

Lol yeah that was my worry, itll come back as fake... but I have a photo of him wearing it! :D

And were you the one who collected Robert Mechaem?[/quote:37mb928f]

Yeah. I am working on gathering that collection up and selling it. Mainly just the lowest end stuff. He became too expensive in 09-10 and he has too much stuff. I am happier collecting Perk, Kingery, and all the other guys I collect.

I should change my avatar pic lol. I had it since I joined up here.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
Dice-K Collector said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":16urciyt]
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":16urciyt]
PujolsCollector said:

techboy42004

2 reasons.

And were you the one who collected Robert Mechaem?[/quote:16urciyt]

Yeah. I am working on gathering that collection up and selling it. Mainly just the lowest end stuff. He became too expensive in 09-10 and he has too much stuff. I am happier collecting Perk, Kingery, and all the other guys I collect.

I should change my avatar pic lol. I had it since I joined up here.[/quote:16urciyt]

Knew it! Do you know anyone else from topps who is on here?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Dice-K Collector said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":26ivkgy8]
TBTwinsFan said:
TBTwinsFan said:
PujolsCollector said:

techboy42004

2 reasons.

And were you the one who collected Robert Mechaem?[/quote:26ivkgy8]

I should change my avatar pic lol. I had it since I joined up here.[/quote:26ivkgy8]

Knew it! Do you know anyone else from topps who is on here?[/quote:26ivkgy8]

A lot of people. Member TomMurry was there on and off, member Bornagaincollector was there, a lot of other people were too.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
Dice-K Collector said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":1z0sdmzd]
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":1z0sdmzd]
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":1z0sdmzd][quote="PujolsCollector":1z0sdmzd]THrow those on the bay as Game Used trust me some Johnson collector will jump on them.

techboy42004

2 reasons.

And were you the one who collected Robert Mechaem?[/quote:1z0sdmzd]

I should change my avatar pic lol. I had it since I joined up here.[/quote:1z0sdmzd]

Knew it! Do you know anyone else from topps who is on here?[/quote:1z0sdmzd]

A lot of people. Member TomMurry was there on and off, member Bornagaincollector was there, a lot of other people were too.[/quote:1z0sdmzd]

Really? Cool! I spent a LOT of time on there... but the site fell apart.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Dice-K Collector said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":jkpd0l9y]
TBTwinsFan said:
TBTwinsFan said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="Dice-K Collector":jkpd0l9y][quote="PujolsCollector":jkpd0l9y]THrow those on the bay as Game Used trust me some Johnson collector will jump on them.

techboy42004

2 reasons.

And were you the one who collected Robert Mechaem?[/quote:jkpd0l9y]

I should change my avatar pic lol. I had it since I joined up here.[/quote:jkpd0l9y]

Knew it! Do you know anyone else from topps who is on here?[/quote:jkpd0l9y]

A lot of people. Member TomMurry was there on and off, member Bornagaincollector was there, a lot of other people were too.[/quote:jkpd0l9y]

Really? Cool! I spent a LOT of time on there... but the site fell apart.[/quote:jkpd0l9y]

Yeah. Now that I think of it, member 55_Marlins_sp was there too. He was Northcuttguy or something like that. It was a good site but the lack of mods allowed Chinese shoe dealers to take it over and spam the place up. Topps scrapped it and started over.

I was also on Reb's if you were into those sites. That one got hacked though.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Dice-K Collector said:
I think I told this story once on the topps boards, so if your from there, you mightve already heard this.

I had just gotten back from Disney. This was the year of hurricane katrina. Im 15 now, so if you remember what year hurricane katrina was, do the math and youll know what year this was.

So I go to the game, and not really expecting any good autos (yes I was into autos when I was 9 or 10) I only brought my golden mickey ears that I had just bought in florida two nights before.

I go to where people sign, and Randy Johnson comes over... one of my FAVORITE players (Arod was my other favorite) so I get really excited, and try to fight my way to the front.

He signs for a few people and moves on to another section. I go under the bars (since I was so little I could fit under them, lucky me!) So Im stuck behind another group of people, nontheless I try to get his autograph... unsuccessful. He moves onto another section.

I got under some more bars, to a section where only people with seats there could be. Theres only a few people, so Im right upfront this time.

RANDY JOHNSON takes my personally signed gold mickey ears, WEARS THEM, and signs them! I think he mightve signed for a few people while wearing them.

scan0008-1-1.jpg

scan0008.jpg

I feel bad for what I did, going under the bars and everything. But I REALLY wanted his autograph :D

By the way, WoundedDuck is making me a couple custom sketch cards from those pictures, for a trade! :D Will post scans when I get them.

If this was truly your reason for collecting him, then why ask the board who should collect and then announce who you chose and not even mention this? Makes no sense to me. Either way, congrats!

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138707&hilit=who+should+I+collect?&start=30

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/v...1994966&hilit=+who+should+I+collect?#p1994966

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
AndruwHRJones said:
Dice-K Collector said:

scan0008-1-1.jpg

scan0008.jpg

If this was truly your reason for collecting him, then why ask the board who should collect and then announce who you chose and not even mention this? Makes no sense to me. Either way, congrats!

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138707&hilit=who+should+I+collect?&start=30

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/v...1994966&hilit=+who+should+I+collect?#p1994966

Because I didnt have the time when I first decided to scan the pictures and type it up. And then I forget to.

Why on earth would you take the time to go find those two threads?!? :lol:

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't authenticate it solely for the reason of they'd just put a sticker on the inside, and be done with it. It won't look cool, like a slabbed card.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
MacK said:
I wouldn't authenticate it solely for the reason of they'd just put a sticker on the inside, and be done with it. It won't look cool, like a slabbed card.

Yeah I didnt know theyd put a sticker on it. Id rather it be how it is now.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO

6a00d8341c5bb353ef0154343f9cc8970c-pi

I would have decided to collect him for the combination of his nickname, his last name, and his **** mustache. I always got a kick out of that combo.

TBTwinsFan said:
It was a good site but the lack of mods allowed Chinese shoe dealers to take it over and spam the place up. Topps scrapped it and started over.

Are you sure that's what happened? I think something slightly different happened, as a result of allowing **** peddlers and 13 year olds hang out on the same message board with no moderator. And some letters written by certain disgruntled members of the community.

I was there on the Topps message board, and totally remember reading this story before. Sorry AndruwHRJones, you wasted that hour searching through this kids 6000 posts for nothing! :lol:

Although I have to say, looking at the OP's name and sig it's really hard to tell that he collects Randy Johnson.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
RL24 said:

I would have decided to collect him for the combination of his nickname, his last name, and his **** mustache. I always got a kick out of that combo.

TBTwinsFan said:
It was a good site but the lack of mods allowed Chinese shoe dealers to take it over and spam the place up. Topps scrapped it and started over.

Are you sure that's what happened? I think something slightly different happened, as a result of allowing **** peddlers and 13 year olds hang out on the same message board with no moderator. And some letters written by certain disgruntled members of the community.

I was there on the Topps message board, and totally remember reading this story before. Sorry AndruwHRJones, you wasted that hour searching through this kids 6000 posts for nothing! :lol:

Although I have to say, looking at the OP's name and sig it's really hard to tell that he collects Randy Johnson.

I had left sometime in 2009 and checked in maybe twice since then so I didn't get the full picture as to what happened.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
RL24 said:

TBTwinsFan said:

How can I make it more obvious?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Dice-K Collector said:
RL24 said:

TBTwinsFan said:

How can I make it more obvious?

He's just messing with you. Don't take it too seriously.

Members online

No members online now.