Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Way To Ship International and Be Protected As A Seller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
Hey guys, I sold a high dollar card to a buyer and Indonesia and was just wondering whats best to do to be protected as a seller. i was told that delivery confirmation doesnt work internationally through USPS. Anyone have any advice??

thanks

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Over $250? USPS is not an option then, since there's no electronic signature confirmation for international. UPS/Fedex/DHL are options, but all their international signature services are expedited, and will probably cost between an arm and a leg, to both arms, legs, and several internal organs.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
Thanks for the response. Yes its a 600.00 card, I will definitely look into UPS and FedEx then, should i expect 25.00-30.00 for it then or more?

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
sdsportsfan1214 said:
Thanks for the response. Yes its a 600.00 card, I will definitely look into UPS and FedEx then, should i expect 25.00-30.00 for it then or more?
$25-$30 is about what to expect from USPS, but if you need a signature you might need to use UPS or Fedex

Djarum

Oct 7, 2010
Kentucky
If you go by UPS expect to pay around 60 plus with a declared value of 600. You have the option to send it through the USPS and use there service called Express Mail® International which has 100 free insurance with more available for a fee. Prices would be around 35-45 to ship through them. Here is a link on calculated prices I came up with through the USPS site.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.asp ... 0&o=10&c=4

Dale

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Djarum said:
If you go by UPS expect to pay around 60 plus with a declared value of 600. You have the option to send it through the USPS and use there service called Express Mail® International which has 100 free insurance with more available for a fee. Prices would be around 35-45 to ship through them. Here is a link on calculated prices I came up with through the USPS site.

Dale

And I assume this has signature conformation? If not its useless.

Djarum

Oct 7, 2010
Kentucky
nyc3 said:
Djarum said:

Dale

And I assume this has signature conformation? If not its useless.

You have that option on both ways of shipping.... for a fee of course. They both include tracking.

Dale

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Djarum said:
You have that option on both ways of shipping.... for a fee of course. They both include tracking.

Dale

It has to be signature for over $250, or you lose 100% of the time.

jbelk24

Aug 28, 2010
I sold a card for 800 and had to ship to australia. I used usps and it was awesome.5 days and tracking. I recommend usps

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
rum151man said:
my advise dont sell international. some may not agree but id rather not deal with the headache.

+1

You might lose a few bucks on the sale by restricting buyers, but it's better than the headache of losing the card and money if they decide to rip you off all together.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
Djarum said:

Dale

FYI this has a "Return receipt" option only (paper signature), not electronic signature confirmation. Again, USPS DOES NOT HAVE international electronic signature confirmation, which is what Paypal requires for proof of signature. The return receipt will not do anything for you in a paypal claim.

FWIW, I obtained a quote from UPS for a 1lb package with signature confirmation to Australia (the last Intl' quote I got from them) about 2 years ago, and the cheapest option was about $85 expedited. This was for a $300 card where a potential bidder from Australia was interested. I told him how much UPS wanted, and I never heard back from they guy.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
jbelk24 said:
I sold a card for 800 and had to ship to australia. I used usps and it was awesome.5 days and tracking. I recommend usps

I wouldn't.

You are lucky nothing happened to the package and the buyer was honest. While the chances of anything happening to the package are slim and most buyers are honest, if anything happened to the package, or the buyer was dishonest and filed a paypal claim, your $800 would've vanished faster than you can say "don't sell international".

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Bob Loblaw said:
rum151man said:
my advise dont sell international. some may not agree but id rather not deal with the headache.

I agree wholeheartedly.

+1
I flat out do not ship internationally. Haven't been burnt in the past but way to many horror stories. I'll gladly lose the amount in bids vs the whole amount plus the card. Just not worth it.

~AJ

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
ajbraves25 said:
Bob Loblaw said:
rum151man said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

+1
I flat out do not ship internationally. Haven't been burnt in the past but way to many horror stories. I'll gladly lose the amount in bids vs the whole amount plus the card. Just not worth it.

~AJ

Agreed. I used to sell some pretty high dollar items and never had issues, but that was prior to Ebay making it worse for sellers. What really frustrates me is that I changed all of my preferences to block international bidders (I did reopen to Canada) and somehow still had someone from Slovakia bid and win a card.

What is the point of doing all of this if they can still bid on your items?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
jbelk24 said:

And I suspect you didnt have signature conformation right? Because even with tracking it can show delivered and you can have a video of the guy with the card laughing at you and you will lose 100% of the time. Ebays rules are ANYTHING over 250 needs to be signed for, if you sent it with just basic tracking consider yourself lucky.

JTfor3

Mar 5, 2009
sdsportsfan1214 said:
Hey guys, I sold a high dollar card to a buyer and Indonesia and was just wondering whats best to do to be protected as a seller. i was told that delivery confirmation doesnt work internationally through USPS. Anyone have any advice??

thanks

Not to prejudice an entire country based on a few people, but I would STRONGLY recommend not shipping to Indonesia. Indonesia, at least in the internet world, is one of the biggest hubs in Asia of scamming. I know scams that have originated there in multiple facets (Art, Fine Wine, and yes, cards, just to name a few.) I ship almost everywhere internationally (selling basketball and hockey, you have to if you want to get your full profit, but I refuse to ship to Indonesia because of all of the scamming there.

So that's just my opinion, but I would not risk it, especially with a card that valuable.

Latest posts