Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leo Nunez gets suspended by Marlins, leaves the country

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
Closer Leo Nunez has been placed on Major League Baseball’s restricted list and suspended by the Marlins for undisclosed reasons, a source said told The Miami Herald on Thursday.
“I can’t yet comment,” said Nunez’s agent, Andy Mota. “This is very recent. I don’t want to say anything at all.”
Nunez, who ranks seventh in the National League with 36 saves, was on his way to the Dominican Republic and not with the Marlins, who were headed for Milwaukee.
The 28-year-old right-hander has recorded 92 saves for the Marlins, third on the team’s all-time list, since being obtained from the Kansas City Royals in a 2008 trade for Mike Jacobs.
Nunez is entering his final season of arbitration eligibility and stands to earn in the neighborhood of $5.8 million next season.
The pitcher struggled in August and briefly lost his closer’s role. Nunez pitched the ninth inning of Wednesday’s 4-0 win over the Braves, walking a pair of batters but surviving the inning without giving up a run.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/22/2 ... z1YitL3tpM

::facepalm:: maybe he dared to criticize Hanley Ramirez

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
According to the Associated Press, Leo Nunez was sent back to the Dominican Republic this week because he was found to have been using a fake identity.
Nunez was placed on the restricted list Thursday and is not expected to return to the major leagues this season. According go the AP's sources, the right-hander's real name is Juan Carlos Oviedo and he's actually a year older than his listed age of 28. The Marlins have reportedly known about the issue for several months, but it's not yet clear how they plan to resolve it.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
he most likely used his brothers birth certificate when he first applied for minor league camp in the Dominican Republic. I know someone who did that about 3 years ago for the Colorado Rockies Dominican Summer League..and the team found out he used his brother's birth certificate and identity...and it's most likely common.

lawhs89

Apr 3, 2011
Not that common since 9/11. Players lied about their age all the time, until 9/11, after that you had better give the proper ID to get into the USA. Remember the African Little League team this year that lied about ages this year, until they could not get visas into the US because ages where wrong?

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
jlvjr16 said:
he most likely used his brothers birth certificate when he first applied for minor league camp in the Dominican Republic. I know someone who did that about 3 years ago for the Colorado Rockies Dominican Summer League..and the team found out he used his brother's birth certificate and identity...and it's most likely common.

Its not uncommon at all, the uncommon part is that someone actually found out.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
Zymco said:
jlvjr16 said:

Its not uncommon at all, the uncommon part is that someone actually found out.

if it's not uncommon it's common!

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
Anybody want 30 2004 Uncirculated Bowman Chrome Blue Refractors....still sitting on them.

You know what's crazy is that when I read the article about Nunez last night, I remembered that you had been "in" on Nunez back in '04.

Members online

Latest posts