Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How not to list a rare set (Gwynn and Grace)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170696460551?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$(KGrHqEOKkEE5U,GqSO6BOb9(GNJFw~~60_12.JPG

1) Get the year of the set wrong. Grace was still in high school in 1982. He didn't play for San Diego until 1985. The set was issued in 1988.

2) Don't list any of the names of the players in the set anywhere in the auction, especially stars like Grace and Tony Gwynn. Would hate for those fan bases to be able to find it.

3) List it cheap, so that even if somebody who knows how rare it is and who wouldn't hesitate to jump on a $50 BIN for it happens to find it, they get it for a song.

Ignorance is bliss! Especially when it's somebody else's ignorance and my bliss. I searched for this Grace card for 3 years before finding one, and paid $120 when I did find it. This is the sixth one I've ever seen in 20 years, and 3rd I've owned. Totally lucked into finding this listing - wasn't searching for it - just did a search on San Diego State baseball.

Little background on this set... 1988 San Diego State Aztecs All-Time Greats Alumni Fundraiser Set. Your only chance to get this 22 card set was if you attended a one-day-only Alumni Fundraiser event held in San Diego in 1988. For a contribution to the Alumni Fund, you received a set of all-time greats to wear the Aztec uniform. The big names in the set are Tony Gwynn, his brother Chris Gwynn, and Mark Grace.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Awesome, your gain is the seller's loss in this case, which it seems he kind of deserved for the way he listing the item.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Nice score! Had a very similar experience when I picked up this set for $5.

The Thomas alone sells for over a Benny in near mint raw form...this one graded out to be the first PSA 10 (pop 2 now). The Bo Jack does pretty good as well.

ScannedImage-2.jpg

1987AuburnTigerGreatsPSA10.jpg