Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"MoneyBall" roll call, reviews thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
With "Moneyball" finally hitting theatres today, I was thinking it'd be cool to have everyone who sees it post their review.

I won't see it for a while, but with all the good reviews from national media coming in, I'm really looking forward to it. As an A's fan (who never liked Hatteburg and loved Art Howe as Player), I didn't really enjoy the Book. That said, I've always loved Beane's ideas even if they didn't win the big one. One thing I think both fans and critics are missing is that Beane wasn't trying to "outsmart" everyone just find a way to win on a very small budget.

BTW, ESPN has a bunch of "Moneyball"-themed articles on its' Main Page today.

Back to the original idea:

Out of 5 stars, what did you think?

And no big details please for those who haven't seen it yet...

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
I saw it last night. Overall I was satisfied and thought it was entertaining.

The ending got a little boring, but its a baseball movie so it was expected :)

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
sportscardtheory said:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110921/REVIEWS/110929999

Four stars from Ebert, who I trust. I will see it on the small screen as it doesn't seem like a film that needs to be seen in a theater. Definitely looking forward to it.

Agreed. It kills me that it won't be out for another 3-4 months, but that's fine.

sschauer

Aug 7, 2008
Covington, KY
Saw it on Tuesday and very pleased with it. Not 100 percent accurate in how trades happened but very entertaining movie. Really paints Art Howe in a bad light. But even the wife liked it very funny in places and one of the better movies I've seen in a long while a great date night movie.

Five stars and not even an A's fan.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
What I would have done was do a movie on Bill James. He's influenced everything from how people play Fantasy Baseball to scouting. I would then have Billy Beane playing a small part in the movie.

Baseball America's review really ruined it for me.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Waiting for the small screen here as well.

Can't for the life of me figure out how this is getting 4 stars across the board,
yet Dean the WGN TV critic(who I usually trust) gave it a C-

lawhs89

Apr 3, 2011
Saw both SI and Espn review the 2002 A's Moneyball draft. Was not bad (Nick Swisher), but they had like seven of the first 40 picks. SI even mentioned in the book they dissed Price Fielder. Still think some of the success was steroid induced Giambi-Tejada.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I'll see if they have it at the flea market tomorrow.
It will probably be on here soon as well LINK REMOVED

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
A good draft is considered one everyday position player + either a starter or a bullpen player. I would have closed the movie with that comment.

That is Scott Boras's main argument to make the draft no more then 20 Rounds and stop wasting money on developing players that have no chance. Teams can use academy players to fill rosters if needed.

lawhs89

Apr 3, 2011
19braves77 said:
A good draft is considered one everyday position player + either a starter or a bullpen player. I would have closed the movie with that comment.

That is Scott Boras's main argument to make the draft no more then 20 Rounds and stop wasting money on developing players that have no chance. Teams can use academy players to fill rosters if needed.

Sure the draft will change soon, like other sports. I have no idea why owners give the players so much leverage in baseball.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
lawhs89 said:
19braves77 said:

Sure the draft will change soon, like other sports. I have no idea why owners give the players so much leverage in baseball.
Because the owners get to control the player for 6 years at HUGE discount.

sschauer

Aug 7, 2008
Covington, KY
I'd like to add to my review 5 stars was because it was an enjoyable movie this is not a documentary only based on a true story and they of course stretched things to make an enjoyable movie. If you go into expecting the 100% truth you'll hate it if however you want to be entertained for 2 hours this will fit the bill. As for the truth part I'd give it a C- the truth of the movie it did happened in Oakland they had a gm named Beane and he tried something new beyond that enjoy the movie.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
D.....some good parts....but few and far apart! The funny part was the Visalia Oaks player hit the ball and rounded first.....started to head to second base....fell and crawled back to first base..where the coach told him...he hit a home run! Best regards, David

Members online