Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Flanagan threatened suicide several times before doing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
It's a shame, my Mom knew him when he played for Falmouth back when she was in HS. She was pretty devastated by his suicide.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If you are going to do a joke at least do a good one like the one on deadspin saying that his wife was charged with her first blown save of the season.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
As a 16 year old I'd already carried a single bullet around for a year. I carried it everyday. I did well in school, I did well at sports, I did well in theatre and choir. I had a 32 hour a week job. The day when I'd had too much was not different than any other day in my life. I was no more sad than any other day. I couldn't handle it anymore. I was in my room at home with a gun in my mouth, my mom was making supper and my dad got home from the mine early. I had my finger on the trigger and the safety was off. Dad walked in and was talking to mom. They were both so happy to see each other. For some reason, I decided not to. I put the gun down and took the bullet out. I went outside and destroyed the bullet by taking the slug out and dumping the powder. I broke down and cried. For the first time since I was 14, I was free.

The reasons for my problems are more than likely due to genetics plus at least 6 concussions in a short amount of time. Anyhow, it's sad that so many people do kill themselves. I wish there were more that could have had a moment that I had. I still struggle, but I keep on keepin on.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
beefycheddar said:
If you are going to do a joke at least do a good one like the one on deadspin saying that his wife was charged with her first blown save of the season.

Didn't find that one funny either.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
justinmandawg said:
As a 16 year old I'd already carried a single bullet around for a year. I carried it everyday. I did well in school, I did well at sports, I did well in theatre and choir. I had a 32 hour a week job. The day when I'd had too much was not different than any other day in my life. I was no more sad than any other day. I couldn't handle it anymore. I was in my room at home with a gun in my mouth, my mom was making supper and my dad got home from the mine early. I had my finger on the trigger and the safety was off. Dad walked in and was talking to mom. They were both so happy to see each other. For some reason, I decided not to. I put the gun down and took the bullet out. I went outside and destroyed the bullet by taking the slug out and dumping the powder. I broke down and cried. For the first time since I was 14, I was free.

The reasons for my problems are more than likely due to genetics plus at least 6 concussions in a short amount of time. Anyhow, it's sad that so many people do kill themselves. I wish there were more that could have had a moment that I had. I still struggle, but I keep on keepin on.
Thanked.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
justinmandawg said:

The way my life is going, I wouldn't mind a high dose of sodium pentathol followed with a paralytic and 100meq of KCl ran over a 30 minutes or so. I can't do what I'm doing anymore because I'm about to lose my mind, and I definately won't do it for another year. I'm trying everything in the world to keep it occupied on something, but everyday, I'm running out of options. Geese, never thought I'd be crazy, but I'm getting there :| .

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Having spent about 500 hours over the past 10 years at a crisis line; there is nothing funny about suicide. Justin, what a great story and I'm truly happy you did not not choose a permanent solution to what was a temporary problem.

At this point; we can not save Mike Flanagan's life but if what he did saves anyone from this in the future then there will have been a purpose. In addition, what most people who complete suicide do not realize is the effect it has on so many people. The post about the family member devasted comes true way too often.

My wife has some friends who are slowly killing themselves with their actions (nothing that extreme) and it frustrates me to realize that no matter what you say you can not get them to change their behavoir

And if anyone wants to become a counselor on the phone, the toughest of the 12 classes I had was the one where we had a "survivors" panel. The mother of one of the people literally put herself out of touch with reality. She had to be told on 9/11 about what occured and why she was being sent home because she wanted never to hear any sort of newscast again. The effects can be brutal on family members and more.

Sorry --- enough of this soapbox talk.

Rich Klein

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Suicide is really not funny. I have thought about it a bunch, I really think the only reason I have'nt done it is I do not want to see it happen or know when it happens. I at one point hated living. I have anxienty and depression, I used pain as a cover to hide my true emotions. I would punch myself in the face until the point where my hand hurt because the people laughing at me made me happy. I enjoyed the laughter until I realized it was stupidity that people laughed at. Finally someone came to me and pulled me to the side and kind of just asked me why I acted stupid why I did the stuff I did. Was it for laughs? Was it because I hated myself? What was my issue? I felt weird spilling my emotions to another guy but after talking to him I realized hey some people care about me. He seen through the haze that was this exterior image of who I thought I was and what I was mentally. He basically took the Hate my life thing and told me positives and that people laughed at me and thought I was stupid for hitting myself (I knew this but for some reason I would'nt change it).Everytime I talk to him I thank him for changing me from a depressed social weirdo into the person that I wanted to be. I am semi popular and try to be nice to people now because I have no idea what they are going through. My own problems have made me realize that those people could and probably are hiding something deeper than what they admit.

Members online

Latest posts