Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Review and Grade your Prospects' 2011 Seasons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bricewaynebisel

Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Umm, short version.

Nolan Arrenado---Great season, very happy.
Tyler Matzek---Girlfriend had to take away my shoelaces for most of the year, but still have faith with his late season turnaround.
Tim Wheeler---Very Happy.
Wilin Rosario---Overall I think it was a good season, although I'd have liked the average to be a tad bit higher.
MIke Foltynewicz---Only impressive thing was that he finished the season.
Noah Syndergaard---Very happy and surprised with such a low buy-in. Not too happy with all of the $50 offers I kept getting on his orange ref auto when they were selling around 100.
Deck McGuire---Happy with his solid season.
Ryan Bolden---Probably the worst buy-in in history. THank god it was extremely cheap.
Aaron Sanchez---Happy with the velocity, etc., not overly thrilled with the results.
Jameson Taillon---Very happy with what I think was a solid debut in the limited situations he was allowed to perform in.
A.J. *******---Such a cheap buy-in, happy with the overall season, but hoping for a little more power next year.
Trayce Thompson---Very happy with the power but the Greg Halman-esque K rate is frightening.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Mason Williams-Stoked with his year. Let's see if he can keep it up. Seems like another Brett Gardner to me. Fast, good pure hitter, a little pop. It'll be cool following him.
Gary Sanchez-Impressed, disappointed, pissed off, then wowed again. I like the potential a lot.
Dustin Ackley-Solid season in the MLB, but the prices just keep going down. I'm cool with that, I'll buy more.
Trevor May-Great season. Very impressed. Tons of Ks.f
Jake Marisnick-One of the best seasons in the MiLB. He continues to wow me.
Tim Wheeler-I was stoked with his performance, then I was unhappy with what he did post all-star break. We'll see.
Michael Pineda-Can't wait to see what he does next year. Fantastic season for him.
Jameson Taillon-Very impressed, again can't wait to see what he does next year.
Tyrell Jenkins-A good year, showing some great signs. Second half was working on his changeup, can't wait to see how good it is next year.
Jesus Montero-He's a monster. Let's see how he handles the playoffs...it's something he's going to need to get used to in pinstripes.
Wil Myers-Unimpressed. His great plate discipline seems to have escaped him. Hmmph.
Nolan Arenado-Love his low K rate and his pop in the second half of the year. He's going to be really good.
Wilin Rosario-Continued to show good pop and a good arm with good defense, but the average went down. Not happy with that, but I have confidence that it will return.
Christian Yelich-Great season, I'll be looking to pick up more of him.

That's all I can think of without looking at my cards.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I mainly stick to what I follow daily, so it's been all Yanks for me again this season. Along those lines:

Montero: seems to be money well spent, and if he can continue through the postseason = A+
Gary Sanchez: Not a surprise, but suffered growing pains in first year of full season ball. Young as hell and seemed to figure it out at the end. Based on price vs performance = B-
Mason Williams: super excited to get his first cards this year as he was just slightly under the radar, and he probably is BA's top NY-Penn League player tomorrow = A+
Graham Stoneburner: I rolled the dice on him last year and invested a lot in his Bowman releases. Lots of talent, could make it as a starter, great name. Terrible season due to injury = C-
JR Murphy: wish I picked up more when I had the chance as he finally emerged this year. Looks like he could be the true future catcher, but leg injury derailed end of season = B
Brackman: F. Just miserable season
Banuelos: Making it to AAA at age 20? Can only be considered a good season, but definitely not great. Another high potential, very young talent that struggled slightly at the higher level = B+

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Tyrell Jenkins- he has the makings of a 1 or 2.
Jake Marisnick- He can be the next Grady Sizemore hopefully without the injuries.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
mwashuc06 said:
Jake Marisnick- He can be the next Grady Sizemore hopefully without the injuries.

Marisnick's gotta be one of the most underrated prospects around considering how cheap his Autos are and how good of a season he just had.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
mwashuc06 said:

Marisnick's gotta be one of the most underrated prospects around considering how cheap his Autos are and how good of a season he just had.

I just hope he doesn't get a chrome auto because I will have to dump his autos. Still will make money considering I bought his stuff when it wasn't worth much.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
mwashuc06 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
mwashuc06 said:

I just hope he doesn't get a chrome auto because I will have to dump his autos. Still will make money considering I bought his stuff when it wasn't worth much.

Yep, although it looks good right now as he's not scheduled for Bowman Chrome and obviously won't be in Draft since he wasn't drafted this year. So earliest he could possibly have one is next year's Bowman, which won't be out until a couple months into next season, and even that's not a guarantee.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Jordan Smith: Didn't do too bad. He ended up in the League all-star game, and was leading the team in hitting at one point. Failed to put up any home runs though. B+

Justin Gominsky: I have no clue. I haven't checked. (Incomplete)

azbaseballfan

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Tyler Skaggs - Exceeded my expectations. I give him an A for the season.
Paul Goldschmidt - Did exactly what I thought he would do, we will see how he handles the playoffs. Could get a great pay day
Jarrod Parker - Slowed by an injury but happy to see him work his way to the MLB! His debut is Tuesday

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
Will only do a few of them:

Chad Bettis - had a great season, with some dominating performances in between - A-.

Casey Weathers - one more chance in the AFL - D+.

Charlie Blackmon - got the call, and had a 'nice' show before injury - B+.

Christian Friedrich - *insert sound effect of object falling* - D-.

Connor Graham - released; not sure why - F.

Greg Reynolds - not an MLB player - F.

Hector Gomez - part of the new "Baby Rockies"; being given a chance I did not expect - C+.

Jordan Pacheco - mediocre at AAA, but finding his own in the Bigs - C.

Mike Zuanich - continued to dominate the lower leagues, but found struggles at AA - B+.

Rex Brothers - Move over Huston Street - A-.

Nolan Arenado - stud - A.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Trevor Bauer - A
Kolten Wong - A
Mike Antonio - B
Kirk Nieuwenhius - C (Going well until season ending injury)
Nick Weglarz - D- (Injury)
Chris Nelson - C (At least he contributed a little at the MLB level)
Angel Salome - F

des1984

Aug 6, 2009
Mason Williams - A Funny thing is, really didn't know a lot about him but he has the same name as my son so, as a gimmick, I bought him. Once he started doing well I pimped him hard. Looking forward to what he can do next year.

Zack Cox - B- He's moving through the system. High avg. Had struggles and some are questioning his pop but he came on strong at the end.

Jaff Decker - C- Really impressive beginning of season but then slumped the rest of the way.

Profar - A Bought some early so I was lucky but don't have a lot. Looks like he will be a future star. Bat better than advertised.

Sanchez - C+ showed his potential but very worried about his makeup.

Taillon - C A lot of individuals are stating excuses on why.....I will give him one more year to prove. He was limited but still...

Green - D+ His pop from a year ago did not show up this year AT ALL. Very worried about that. His avg is still around .300 which is good.

Sano - B- Lower grade based on his glove (horrible). His bat was tremendous, especially at end of year.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
des1984 said:
Mason Williams - A Funny thing is, really didn't know a lot about him but he has the same name as my son so, as a gimmick, I bought him.

Your son wrote Classical Gas? Impressive.

[youtube:4qit0lz2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHgNqbdBKs[/youtube:4qit0lz2]

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I don't prospect but I do have pretty large stashes of a few Jays prospects:

Marisnick- A: Fantastic season. Clearly ready for Hi-A with Crouse and Knecht
Syndergaard- B+: Throws harder than advertised. Wish I'd bought more of what I wanted. Tough to find, now.
Nicolino- B+: The most advanced of the Jays young group. Skyrocketed up the Jays prospect list.

And the guy who I've never been able to stop buying:

Aaron Sanchez- C+/B-: Inconsistent which is expected. If he can put it together I'd have to seriously consider selling his stuff. I've got a ton.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
des1984 said:
Taillon - C A lot of individuals are stating excuses on why.....I will give him one more year to prove. He was limited but still...

Excuses for what? I'd consider his season a big success: 3.98 ERA, 97K, only 22 BB in 92.2 IP.

I think a lot of people expected him to blow single A out of the water this year (myself included), so that's why people are excited to see what he'll do next season with presumably a much longer leash in both pitch count and pitch repertoire.

des1984

Aug 6, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
des1984 said:

Excuses for what? I'd consider his season a big success: 3.98 ERA, 97K, only 22 BB in 92.2 IP.

I think a lot of people expected him to blow single A out of the water this year (myself included), so that's why people are excited to see what he'll do next season with presumably a much longer leash in both pitch count and pitch repertoire.

That's kinda my point. Even with the restrictions, I would of thought he would have better numbers in the division he was in. Next year will tell the tale though. I'm holding my stash based on those restrictions but it's a very short leash.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
des1984 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
des1984 said:

That's kinda my point. Even with the restrictions, I would of thought he would have better numbers in the division he was in. Next year will tell the tale though. I'm holding my stash based on those restrictions but it's a very short leash.

Gotcha. Yeah I wonder if they'll move him to the next level from the beginning of 2012 or if they'll give him a less restricted shot at low-A first.

Members online