Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone buy and sell cards through the classifieds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I listed my first ever item in a classified ads catalog. The catalog sometimes has people selling cards. I got to thinking, I get 4 ads a month. What if I used one as a wanted to find a box of baseball cards, and say I will pay a penny a piece (up to 10.00 or so, or some other method entirely) and cherry pick them, and then every 2-3 months, offer the cards up that I didn't want for free to the first taker, or sell them with the same method that I bought them with.

Does anyone do this? I would only do it 3-4 times because I could see the cards re-circulating through, but it would be fun to see what I could uncover, although most would be junk.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
Is this a local type of ad. I don't see many people wanting to waste the time for 1000 cards for only ten bucks (then shipping possibly) to meet up like a Craigslist ad.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
BrewerSuperCollector said:
Is this a local type of ad. I don't see many people wanting to waste the time for 1000 cards for only ten bucks (then shipping possibly) to meet up like a Craigslist ad.

It is out of a different town, but it is local.

I thought about the money issue. I know that people will want an arm and a leg for their cherished '80s cards, but I am just going to put an ad out there and say "Buying a box of baseball cards $20" and see what comes around. As for selling, I don't plan to sell them at what I got them for, probably less.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
You could probably list a buy price at a dollar a thousand and get people to sell. I'm just saying that your budget for this is low at $10 as people probably won't waste their time for a ten dollar sale.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
You could probably list a buy price at a dollar a thousand and get people to sell. I'm just saying that your budget for this is low at $10 as people probably won't waste their time for a ten dollar sale.

This catalog isn't for high dollar items. It's for stuff that people are looking to get rid off to make a quick buck or to clean out space. I listed an item not long ago for $20 OBO that I should get a few calls about.

I am looking for someone cleaning out their stuff. They will be more concerned about moving the stuff than about the actual value of it. There will be a few of those people. It gives me an opportunity to cherry pick it before trying to move what I don't need.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
This

You can buy lots like this, take what you want and sell the leftovers to someone else for $1.00 a thousand
99 out of 100 calls will be this kind of sales but that 1 find will make it worth it!
One classified ad my buddy put in the paper netted about $10,000 on a $680 investment (2800 opened wax boxes of sports cards from 1998-2001)
Think that one was a once in a lifetime!

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Casebusters said:
This

You can buy lots like this, take what you want and sell the leftovers to someone else for $1.00 a thousand
99 out of 100 calls will be this kind of sales but that 1 find will make it worth it!
One classified ad my buddy put in the paper netted about $10,000 on a $680 investment (2800 opened wax boxes of sports cards from 1998-2001)

Geez! That's a ton of money.

I will start with buying baseball cards 1,000 for a dollar, then picking them, and selling them for a dollar. Hopefully I can land some un-opened wax that I can either open or sell.

Should I put an ad out that I will buy un-opened boxes for $5 a piece?

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
TBTwinsFan said:
Casebusters said:
This

I will start with buying baseball cards 1,000 for a dollar, then picking them, and selling them for a dollar. Hopefully I can land some un-opened wax that I can either open or sell.

Just an ad saying you buy cards, don't put a price...Once they call, wanting to sell, go see the cards for sale and let them tell you want they want for the cards, then go from there!

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
You wouldn't believe the value people put on their late 80's, early 90's cards. Most ads I see on craigslist are about 10 cents a piece. Most of these people are no longer collectors and pretty clueless about the value. Offers of a penny per card usually angers them or makes them think you are trying to rip them off. Liek you said, your best bet is to target the people that just want to clear space.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Casebusters said:
TBTwinsFan said:
Casebusters said:
This

Just an ad saying you buy cards, don't put a price...Once they call, wanting to sell, go see the cards for sale and let them tell you want they want for the cards, then go from there!

Ahh, I see! Thanks! I will try that.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
There is a guy at my work that is trying to sell his stuff for 850.00 He has about 5k in cards
and his ad says really nice stuff from the late 80's to 2000. All the big names from these years as well. All sports too
Baseball Basketball Football and even Hockey.
So I called him and asked him if there was any auto's or game used cards in this pile of crap I mean stuff.
He said no why would anyone collect that stuff. ::facepalm:: So then I asked him where he got his price of the
said cards. He said that is what I paid for it back in 2002. I just did this ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: and said thanks for your time. I got off the phone and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: for about 5 minutes.

Man people really have no clue what they have nor what the price of it really is.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Pine Tar said:
There is a guy at my work that is trying to sell his stuff for 850.00 He has about 5k in cards
and his ad says really nice stuff from the late 80's to 2000. All the big names from these years as well. All sports too
Baseball Basketball Football and even Hockey.
So I called him and asked him if there was any auto's or game used cards in this pile of crap I mean stuff.
He said no why would anyone collect that stuff. ::facepalm:: So then I asked him where he got his price of the
said cards. He said that is what I paid for it back in 2002. I just did this ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: and said thanks for your time. I got off the phone and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: for about 5 minutes.

Man people really have no clue what they have nor what the price of it really is.

:lol: That is really sad. I hope he enjoys them because he will have them for a while.

Members online

Latest posts