Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buyers on eBay, does this bother you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Just a quick pulse of the hobby inquiry here....

Have you ever received a card in the mail that was securely taped inbetween 2 top loaders? I have a couple cards that I need to send out that I am lacking the proper 'thick' top loaders for and I am thinking of just securing it between 2 top loaders. Is this a 'no-no' or am I being over paranoid here?

Any feedback is welcome, thanks!

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
Personally I don't care for the method myself....Too many things can happen like the toploads snapping and killing the card, that has happened to me once and I was beyond being pissed....I'm pretty easy going on how things are shipped to me as long as they arrive safe and in good condition but not a fan of the double topload.JMO

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
matfanofold said:
Just a quick pulse of the hobby inquiry here....

Have you ever received a card in the mail that was securely taped inbetween 2 top loaders? I have a couple cards that I need to send out that I am lacking the proper 'thick' top loaders for and I am thinking of just securing it between 2 top loaders. Is this a 'no-no' or am I being over paranoid here?

Any feedback is welcome, thanks!
If it is a expensive card I would not do it. To many picky buyers.

It does not bother me, but I am sure it does others....
I had a few people PM me because I used tape at the end of the top load.
I guess they wanted a "new" top load to display the card???
I use the top load to ship, not for your display. (I do not "pinch" the end like some do not like, I just cover it so it does not slide out)

If all else fails PM the buyer and tell them you ran out and you want to get the card out to them fast, do they mind the 2 top load method? Let them decide and you'll get 4 stars on communication! ;)

ripken2131_8

Feb 4, 2011
Savannah, GA
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
It does not bother me, but I am sure it does others....
I had a few people PM me because I used tape at the end of the top load.
I guess they wanted a "new" top load to display the card???
I use the top load to ship, not for your display. (I do not "pinch" the end like some do not like, I just cover it so it does not slide out)

If all else fails PM the buyer and tell them you ran out and you want to get the card out to them fast, do they mind the 2 top load method? Let them decide and you'll get 4 stars on communication! ;)

I'd definitely ask the buyer just to avoid possibly getting neg-d over it.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
on thicker cards sometimes I use 4 top loaders 2 on each side of the card just to be sure the card is safe. I try to have all size top loaders around but for the really thick cards if I am out of the monster top loaders. I will use new or clean top loaders but I double up and use 4. if the card is over 20-100.00 I might use a one touch.

Also I will not use tape. I use a graded or team bag. I believe buyers prefer this or at least I do.

Never heard of top loaders snapping

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I don't mind the sandwich approach (between the top loaders) if they are packed securely in a team bag. I HATE scotch tape on and around the cards.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
If you have no other option but to do that, it's acceptable and it'll keep the cards safe. I don't prefer receiving mine that way but it isn't the end of the world at all.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I used to do this all the time when I didn't have any thick toploaders. What I did was to put the card in a soft sleeve, and then tape two common cards on each side of it, using one piece of tape on each long side. Then I would put that between two junky toploaders and tape each of the four sides. The common cards serve as a buffer zone, so when you tape the toploaders together the pressure on the corners and edges don't go on the card you're selling and instead on the common cards.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
If you are going to sell cards---you should have the proper shipping supplies. If you are going to sell "thicker cards" then get the correct top load (quit with all the taping).

Card into penny sleave into top load into team bag into bubble mailer. You may need to add some "peanuts" to meet height requirements for USPS.

This is how you ship...quit extra taping the team bag and bubble mailer ect....99.9% of the time the above way will be just fine.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Sometimes this has to be done since most of the sellers do not have the necessary supplies for the cards they sell.
I have put the card in a penny sleeve and then used 2 decoy cards and then sandwiched it between the top-loaders
so not to get tape on the card. Then I put it in a team bag and even wrap something around it. Bubble wrap or even paper
then I tape it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Doesn't bother me too much. The other thing I'll get is the card sandwiched between one top loader taped to a big piece of corrugated cardboard.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
If it is done right you shouldn't have an issue, with that said I got a lot of 33 cards sent to me like that and 12 of them ended up with minor-major damage.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
hoopster3977 said:
This thread is full of fail just like recycling bubble mailers.
So what should you do with the Bubble mailers Ralph throw them away?
I have about 100 bubble mailers right now and they are all recycled. I send everything I mail out in a used mailer.
I have not bought a new bubble mailer in about 3 years. Well if you count the eBay purchase as buying it since I paid for it in the shipping price I'm sure. :D

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Would it make me happy? No.

That said, I'm not going to negative or go crazy if the effort was made to protect the card and it gets to me safely and as described.
Picking up the toploader is probably the way to go though so you don't chance it. When I've sent cards in this method I was worried as well how it was would be viewed. The only time I did do this though was when it was a lot of low value base/inserts, etc. and it seemed the most efficient way to ship cheaply.

Tape on top loaders is also a pet peeve of mine....only because team bags are cheap and easy to use.

Members online

Latest posts