Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Finally Complete - Griffey's 1997 SPx cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Nice work. 1997 SPx was one of my favorites. I especially like the Griffey because the one pose looks like Mays' "the catch" photos.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
theplasticman said:
Ooooh the Gold! Congrats. Which was the last one to pick up?

The last one was the Steel version. I picked it up from Burbank for $15, I had no idea how to tell the difference between the steel and silver until their auction description told me.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
LaneyB said:
theplasticman said:
Ooooh the Gold! Congrats. Which was the last one to pick up?

The last one was the Steel version. I picked it up from Burbank for $15, I had no idea how to tell the difference between the steel and silver until their auction description told me.

So what is the difference? I have one of them but I don't kow which one I have and I have been scared to buy one since i might get the same one and waste $.

What is the difference in the 2 that look like golds you have listed? Middle column bottom 2?

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Correct me if I am wrong, but the silver has the SPx on the legs of the X in a hologram like design and the Steel is an etched foil.

Again, correct me if I am wrong.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
tonsofcommons said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the silver has the SPx on the legs of the X in a hologram like design and the Steel is an etched foil.

i think i get what youre saying, but the bronze, silver and gold, you can make out the spx logos in the background, CLEARLY. the steel and base are a blurred background. also the grand finale, is the only one with a gold hologram portrait pic

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
n1astrosfn said:
tonsofcommons said:

i think i get what youre saying, but the bronze, silver and gold, you can make out the spx logos in the background, CLEARLY. the steel and base are a blurred background. also the grand finale, is the only one with a gold hologram portrait pic

I think the Steel has the spx holograms on the legs, whereas the the bronze, silver and gold have the etched Spx's that aren't holograms.

Good luck finding the grand finale, I found mine in a bad listing. The seller had it listed an a 1997 Spx Gold. I got lucky and picked it up for less than $30.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
tonsofcommons said:

That is exactly it.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Thanks for all the kind words. Also, a big thanks to those who helped me complete this, I really appreciate your generosity.

Bruce

Members online

Latest posts