Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bonilla gers $1m yr from mets to do nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
sum it up as the mets being the mets.

In 2000, the mets bought out final yr on his contract (was owed 5.9 mill) and deferred payment WITH INTEREST for 11 yrs.

For the next 25 yrs, the mets will pay hin over a million per yr.

And mets fans thought jason bays contract was bad.

A_Pharis

Did you know Nicholson made money from Batman long after the movie was out of theaters? He chose to take future royalties of the franchise and the character merchandising. I dunno if he is still getting that, but it's a smart business move.

"FOR his role as The Joker in the 1989 film Batman, Nicholson earned around $60 million in total. He negotiated a deal that gave him royalties on all merchandise, which remains the biggest single-movie pay check for any actor."

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
A_Pharis said:
Did you know Nicholson made money from Batman long after the movie was out of theaters? He chose to take future royalties of the franchise and the character merchandising. I dunno if he is still getting that, but it's a smart business move.

"FOR his role as The Joker in the 1989 film Batman, Nicholson earned around $60 million in total. He negotiated a deal that gave him royalties on all merchandise, which remains the biggest single-movie pay check for any actor."

Warren Beatty did the same thing with Bonnie & Clyde, I think

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
JoshHamilton said:
A_Pharis said:

Warren Beatty did the same thing with Bonnie & Clyde, I think

Yeah but back in the day I dont think anyone was buying "Clyde" buttons, pillow cases and action figures like they were buying Nicholson based Joker merchandise!!
:D

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
Bonilla got a good deal with an 8% annual return. At the time they entered the agreement, the prime rate was 8.5%, so the Mets had every reason to enter the deal as well. It was essentially a market value deal at the time. The Mets basically sold Bonilla an annuity. That's the same thing that anybody selling an annuity does. The real irony of the whole deal is that the Mets turned around and invested the money with Bernie Madoff and probably made 20% or more annually on their investment. That's part of the money (in theory) that the government is going after with the current proceedings against the Wilpons.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Bonilla didn't wanna be like so many ex athletes and be broke for the rest of his life. So he made a deal that secured his future and security for his family. Not like lottery winners who take lump sum payments and blow it all and the best is, give back money they won for no reasons but stupidity. If you're under 45 and take the cash over annuity, you deserve to go broke.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I showed the article to several guys today and while most of them heard "something" about a deal, none of them knew exactly how it broke down.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
ThoseBackPages said:
two words:

George Lucas

look it up and see how much he made from Star Wars alone by just taking the merchandising
Why wouldn't George Lucas make a ton off Star Wars? Maybe you're referring to Sir Alec Guiness who went the merch route for Star Wars payment.

Members online

Latest posts