Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do fans boo when.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Why do fans boo when a pitcher makes a pick-off move to 2nd base? I have never understood this. It is part of the game, are ALL of these fans really that ignorant? Also, why boo when the catcher comes out to visit the pitcher?

I was a pitcher and fully understand how important it is to hold runners. I have been to many games with ex-teammates or guys that have played the game at a high level, never heard them boo once at these things.

Can someone break it down for me? Or is it simply ignorant fans who should shut the hell up?

skrip

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I presume this is a reference to the Brewer fans? If so they were also booing when the pitcher had to tie his shoe.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I don't do it, but I have some theories:

1) Games take too long, the pitcher isn't going to get the runner, so why waste the time?
2) The home crowd wants to throw the pitcher off.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
TBTwinsFan said:

1) Games take too long, the pitcher isn't going to get the runner, so why waste the time?
You're not trying to pick the runner off every time. You do it to keep him closer to the bag and mess with his timing.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Hallsgator said:
TBTwinsFan said:

You're not trying to pick the runner off every time. You do it to keep him closer to the bag and mess with his timing.

That's true. I forgot about that.

Still, that's probably all the mediocre fans would be thinking.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Really? They do it as an excuse to harass the opposing pitcher. They don't do it when the home pitcher does it.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
Ignorance. Its why it kills me going to an Angel games. They are more upset about a pitcher throwing over, or a beach ball getting taken away, or a mound visit & they don't boo when a player like Vernon Wells or Jeff Mathis strikes out in a key situation. Just complete ignorance.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Not on a single pick off, but Ive been to games and watched them on TV where certain pitchers will make 5-6 throw in a row to 1st and it gets annoying. Just throw the f'ing ball.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
Jastermereel said:
Really? They do it as an excuse to harass the opposing pitcher. They don't do it when the home pitcher does it.

Yep, this is the case. They don't have to be ignorant fans at all.

I would have thought more people who are posting would know this as being baseball fans?

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Greg Cleveland said:
It stops the flow and anticipation of the game. Fans are expecting the pitch, and they get that spin move to second. Takes the wind out of your sails. That's all. Baseball is a game of anticipation, and fans hate having it taken away.
If they understand situations, they should anticipate a pick off.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I hate it too. All your teams's fans do it though. There isn't a single crowd in baseball that doesn't boo the opposing pitcher's PO move. My home crowd looks like idiots too.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
hive17 said:
I hate it too. All your teams's fans do it though. There isn't a single crowd in baseball that doesn't boo the opposing pitcher's PO move. My home crowd looks like idiots too.

My post had nothing to do with the Brewers. I had been meaning to post about it for months. It happens at Wrigley every freaking game and I hate it.

skrip

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
hive17 said:

My post had nothing to do with the Brewers. I had been meaning to post about it for months. It happens at Wrigley every freaking game and I hate it.

skrip

I know. I mean, it did, but only as a matter of fact. If you had been watching the Cards/Phils game, the post is still valid.

I feel exactly the same as you do. I roll my eyes when Milwaukee crowds do it too.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
ballerskrip said:
hive17 said:

skrip

I think it is mainly the fair weather fan. These are the same fans that get up and scream on a routine fly out to center thinking it is a homerun. I have seen and heard a lot of them at Miller Park this year. Hate the boo on the pick off, but I do agree with the boo on the 5th consecutive pick off atempt.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
they boo the hell out of the opposing pitcher, but when the home pitcher throws to first 6 times to keep the guy close, not a peep

:benson:

Ignorant fans, the same idiots and morons that dodge a foul ball into the screen while they're sitting in the expensive seats behind home plate

Members online

Latest posts