Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Remember Fleer Metal? They were awesome. Scans inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Leaf Metal threads reminded me of this.
Remember the Fleer Metal and Fleer Metal Universe sets from the late '90s?
They were so cool because some had fantasy backgrounds, other years had a normal metal chrome look.
I have the '96, '97 and '98 complete sets in binders.
One of my favorite brands of all time.
Here's some Google images I found. Scans don't do them justice.

-300111406049666170.jpg
gregmaddux.png

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
I wouldn't mind busting open some of that product if it was at a reasonable price. A basketball Fleer Metal box just went for over $300. Just insane.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
FLOUR said:
I wouldn't mind busting open some of that product if it was at a reasonable price.
A basketball Fleer Metal box just went for over $300. Just insane.
The '96-97 set has Kobe Bryant's rookie, so it might have been that set.
The baseball Metal sets and boxes are relatively cheap because they contain no major rookies.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Funny as I was thinking the same thing recently. I really do miss how the texture played a pivotal role in how the card looked. Manufacturers in the 90's seemed to get it, but now they don't. The following card looks so much more advanced as far as the effort and technology that's been put into creating it, and the surface texture just gives an artistic touch. I miss products like this.

$(KGrHqR,!iYE40lHZh6CBOWB3WRW8!~~60_3.JPG

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I hated the designs on the later years. Ballplayers in the jungle? Riding dinosaurs? Fighting UFOs? The abstract designs were OK. And the finish did make everything pop. But the inserts were sweet.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
smapdi said:
I hated the designs on the later years. Ballplayers in the jungle? Riding dinosaurs? Fighting UFOs? The abstract designs were OK. And the finish did make everything pop. But the inserts were sweet.

But......... this is the only card I have that shows Rickey wearing his Space Helmet!!

2979593d-e207-410a-ba55-7a488740b7d1.jpg

:lol:

Being such a hard core player collector all these years, I didn't know about the other crazy things in this set. I'd love to see a player riding a dinosaur! YEEEEHHAAAAAWWW!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
I bought a few of those proof cards... I need to find them and get them displayed.
were they like the 93 refractor proofs?? scams??

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Would love to get my paws on a Gwynn PMG but I haven't seen one pop up and I have a feeling that if it did, it would be WAY out of my budget.

Members online